Rubber cement question

Old June 26th 17, 05:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Rubber cement question

On 2017-06-25 18:15,
wrote:
J, the process is stressing the organs.

Hydrate with water n juice at night not beer

I don't drink beer alone. During a 40mi ride in summer I consume a
gallon of water plus 1/2 to 1 quart of electrolyte. In winter still more
than 1/2 gallon. At home along with beer another similar qty of ice water.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

you are warned.....claiming dilution of consumed poison isn't gonna go far

I hear the S Islands are a trip

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ion_per_capita

I was born in the #4 country on that list. Where beer is considered
basic nutrition.

[...]

Old June 26th 17, 06:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On 2017-06-24 11:23, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Saturday, June 24, 2017 at 1:19:22 PM UTC-4, Joerg wrote:
Snipped
I've had tubes that felt absolutely normal, were not squashable, yet
when I came upon a rider with a flat and had sanded the tube the cement
came out like semi-dry snot. It wouldn't even stick to the rubber much,
you could "roll it back off".

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Again, that's why you should check your tube repair cememt BEFORE going on the ride.

Yeah, by opening it and then it'll really go bad fast.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Utter nonsense again Joerg. I have OPENED tubes of tube patch cememt that are a year or more old and are still useable.

Not nonsense; the tubes are prone to developing hairline cracks. They don't have to be opened to go dry, just jostled around

Old June 26th 17, 08:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 2017-06-25 18:15,
wrote:
J, the process is stressing the organs.

Hydrate with water n juice at night not beer

I don't drink beer alone. During a 40mi ride in summer I consume a
gallon of water plus 1/2 to 1 quart of electrolyte. In winter still more
than 1/2 gallon. At home along with beer another similar qty of ice water.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

you are warned.....claiming dilution of consumed poison isn't gonna go far

I hear the S Islands are a trip

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ion_per_capita

I was born in the #4 country on that list. Where beer is considered
basic nutrition.

[...]

Because of the rate of alcoholism in the US many people are quite against any beverage that has alcohol in it. Since fermented or distilled beverages are made in every nation in every known part of history there is obviously advantages to it.

I certainly feel better after a ride drinking a weak English ale. But I don't overdo alcohol.
Old June 26th 17, 08:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 2017-06-24 11:23, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

I don't believe the hairline crack story. I know that I keep the tubes in their boxes that are packed just tight enough to prevent motion and not so tight as to allow the tubes to be crushed. And in long term storage in my seat pack I have had them go dry. I am sure that it has to do with the crimp in the bottom of the tube. The solvents are very thin and in hot enough weather could easily leak from microscopic irregularities in the crimp. In my garage that gets pretty warm but not hot these tubes last almost forever.
Old June 26th 17, 08:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-06-26 09:14,
On 2017-06-25 18:15,
wrote:
[...]

In Germany they have the "Radlermass" which translates to "cyclist's
stein". It contains 50% regular strength Bavararian beer and 50%
lemonade. The lemonade is the sugary variety so it gives back some
carbs. It is very popular at beer gardens where lots of cyclists come by.

In the olden days of the Tour de France they lived a lot less healthy:

https://stopfrackingaround.files.wor...8/img_2370.jpg

Old June 26th 17, 10:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Sunday, June 25, 2017 at 7:20:41 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 6/24/2017 6:44 PM, wrote:
Weldwood at the hardware store.

Doahn sniff it

Right. Just drink it instead, like sanitizer:
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/04/...-to-get-drunk/

Madison WI removed the hand sanitizer dispensers in the City
building because bums drank them dry.

Maybe there's some food value in the aloe vera, too

Old June 27th 17, 04:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

We compliment L on his humor
Old June 27th 17, 04:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Mon, 26 Jun 2017 20:11:41 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

We compliment L on his humor

Which "L"?

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Old July 1st 17, 12:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Luns Tee[_5_]

On Tuesday, June 20, 2017 at 8:29:00 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
What ever the solvent is, that is the carrier, doesn't "dry up". Eventually it leaks out through the crimped end of the tube.

I wondered about that, and whether some more enthusiastic crimping would
help, using a bench vise.

But to me the problem seems small. Patch kits are cheap.

I had a tube of patch cement which served me for almost 10 years, which I attribute to my habit of 'augmenting the crimp'. I dispense cement the same as I do toothpaste, squeezing at the crimp end. With the cement, I also fold up the crimp end as I go. I fold over the crimp onto the tube, and when it seems I've squeezed out the glue that overlaps the crimp, I fold it again.. I may have squeezed the (several layers of) crimp with pliers at some point along the way.

I'm still amazed that there doesn't seem to be any solvent loss from the cap end.

When my 10 year tube finally ran out - it was literally good to the last drop - I found the half dozen or so new unopened tubes that I'd bought as spares in the meanwhile, had all dried up.