Tandems with two sets of gears?

Old June 11th 17, 12:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
James Wilkinson Sword[_4_]

Default Tandems with two sets of gears?

Why aren't tandems made with two sets of gears? Then riders wouldn't have to pedal at the same rate, and changing your gear wouldn't have to be announced to the other rider.
Old June 12th 17, 07:08 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bret Cahill

Why aren't tandems made with two sets of gears? Then riders wouldn't have to pedal at the same rate . . .

Those with bad knees need to spin so it's a good idea!

Can this be done w/o 2 freewheels and 2 chain rings?

Bret Cahill

Old June 12th 17, 04:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
James Wilkinson Sword[_4_]

On Mon, 12 Jun 2017 07:08:22 +0100, Bret Cahill wrote:

Why aren't tandems made with two sets of gears? Then riders wouldn't have to pedal at the same rate . . .

Those with bad knees need to spin so it's a good idea!

Can this be done w/o 2 freewheels and 2 chain rings?

The last one I saw had a normal chain and gears and freewheel for the stoker, and the captain had a direct chain only linking the two sets of pedals. He also changed the gears, which were at the back as normal. To do what I wanted would require at least a few cogs extra somewhere - perhaps just to allow one rider to pedal slightly faster than the other at all times?

--
In the UK, 17% of employees are health and safety officers.
Say NO! to health and safety in the workplace, before there are no real workers left!
Old June 13th 17, 08:54 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bret Cahill

Why aren't tandems made with two sets of gears? Then riders wouldn't have to pedal at the same rate . . .

Those with bad knees need to spin so it's a good idea!

Can this be done w/o 2 freewheels and 2 chain rings?

The last one I saw had a normal chain and gears and freewheel for the stoker, and the captain had a direct chain only linking the two sets of pedals.. He also changed the gears, which were at the back as normal. To do what I wanted would require at least a few cogs extra somewhere - perhaps just to allow one rider to pedal slightly faster than the other at all times?

Both may want to pedal in sync or a fixed phase angle out of sync. Then the pedal speeds need to be the same.

Maybe longer crank arms for the guy with bad knees. This wouldn't work with rental bikes or bikes that get borrowed a lot but that isn't a big market anyway.

Bret Cahill

Old June 13th 17, 04:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
James Wilkinson Sword[_4_]

On Tue, 13 Jun 2017 08:54:49 +0100, Bret Cahill wrote:

Why aren't tandems made with two sets of gears? Then riders wouldn't have to pedal at the same rate . . .

Those with bad knees need to spin so it's a good idea!

Can this be done w/o 2 freewheels and 2 chain rings?

The last one I saw had a normal chain and gears and freewheel for the stoker, and the captain had a direct chain only linking the two sets of pedals. He also changed the gears, which were at the back as normal. To do what I wanted would require at least a few cogs extra somewhere - perhaps just to allow one rider to pedal slightly faster than the other at all times?

Both may want to pedal in sync or a fixed phase angle out of sync. Then the pedal speeds need to be the same.

Maybe longer crank arms for the guy with bad knees. This wouldn't work with rental bikes or bikes that get borrowed a lot but that isn't a big market anyway.

The main thing I'd want is a different cadence than my cycling partner.

--
Are you into casual sex, or should I dress up?
Old June 13th 17, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
James Wilkinson Sword[_4_]

[...]

According to my aunt, their new tandem actually has two freewheel mechanisms. The captain operates the single set of gears, but either rider can freewheel independently (therefore the pedals are not in sync). It's got battery assist (and probably the gears are also electrically controlled) - she tells me that the gearchange is very smooth and the stoker doesn't need to be warned to slacken off the power for a gearchange.

--
Are you into casual sex, or should I dress up?

Is Frame spacing for 7 Gears = to 5 Gears? [email protected] Techniques 4 April 13th 09 12:28 AM
Tandems [email protected] Techniques 7 January 1st 08 08:35 PM
Can you have too many tandems? Alan Braggins UK 13 June 14th 06 11:29 PM
Sets Mondain to Sets Insane? unifreak7 Unicycling 38 February 20th 06 09:53 AM
Gears gears gear..what to choose? bstephens Techniques 8 February 18th 04 04:06 PM