You won't believe this but: I was wrong.

Old June 22nd 17, 09:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default You won't believe this but: I was wrong.

I said that I had never had a sealed bearing bottom bracket come loose.

It just happened while I was up on the side of a hill.

The bike started missing shifts on the crank and I assumed it was the cable stretching and kept adjusting it.

Soon it wouldn't get into the big ring.

I stopped to see what was wrong 11 miles from home and saw that the right side had unscrewed almost all of the way out. This caused the left side to screw all the way in.

If you were using an old fashion open ball assembly it would have dropped all the balls out and you'd have been totally broken down. But it would still work in a slow gear and I managed to make it home for repairs.

30 minutes later and all is well that ends well.
Old June 22nd 17, 10:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, June 22, 2017 at 1:35:34 PM UTC-7, wrote:
I said that I had never had a sealed bearing bottom bracket come loose.

It just happened while I was up on the side of a hill.

The bike started missing shifts on the crank and I assumed it was the cable stretching and kept adjusting it.

Soon it wouldn't get into the big ring.

I stopped to see what was wrong 11 miles from home and saw that the right side had unscrewed almost all of the way out. This caused the left side to screw all the way in.

If you were using an old fashion open ball assembly it would have dropped all the balls out and you'd have been totally broken down. But it would still work in a slow gear and I managed to make it home for repairs.

30 minutes later and all is well that ends well.

I should add: Because the material felt light instead of tightening it down like I normally would - as tight as it will go - I used a torque wrench. I'll know better next time. You torque things that can be broken from expansion - such as head bolts on cars and such - and not something as small and relatively heavily loaded as a bottom bracket.
Old June 23rd 17, 02:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Thursday, June 22, 2017 at 1:35:34 PM UTC-7, wrote:
I said that I had never had a sealed bearing bottom bracket come loose.

It just happened while I was up on the side of a hill.

The bike started missing shifts on the crank and I assumed it was the cable stretching and kept adjusting it.

Soon it wouldn't get into the big ring.

I stopped to see what was wrong 11 miles from home and saw that the right side had unscrewed almost all of the way out. This caused the left side to screw all the way in.

If you were using an old fashion open ball assembly it would have dropped all the balls out and you'd have been totally broken down. But it would still work in a slow gear and I managed to make it home for repairs.

30 minutes later and all is well that ends well.

Italian BB?

-- Jay Beattie.
Old June 23rd 17, 02:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 6/22/2017 8:06 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, June 22, 2017 at 1:35:34 PM UTC-7, wrote:
I said that I had never had a sealed bearing bottom bracket come loose.

It just happened while I was up on the side of a hill.

The bike started missing shifts on the crank and I assumed it was the cable stretching and kept adjusting it.

Soon it wouldn't get into the big ring.

I stopped to see what was wrong 11 miles from home and saw that the right side had unscrewed almost all of the way out. This caused the left side to screw all the way in.

If you were using an old fashion open ball assembly it would have dropped all the balls out and you'd have been totally broken down. But it would still work in a slow gear and I managed to make it home for repairs.

30 minutes later and all is well that ends well.

Italian BB?

-- Jay Beattie.

Yes, Basso Loto if I recall.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old June 23rd 17, 02:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, June 22, 2017 at 9:09:16 PM UTC-4, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, June 22, 2017 at 3:17:13 PM UTC-7, James wrote:
On 23/06/17 06:35, wrote:
I said that I had never had a sealed bearing bottom bracket come
loose.

It just happened while I was up on the side of a hill.

The bike started missing shifts on the crank and I assumed it was the
cable stretching and kept adjusting it.

Soon it wouldn't get into the big ring.

I stopped to see what was wrong 11 miles from home and saw that the
right side had unscrewed almost all of the way out. This caused the
left side to screw all the way in.

If you were using an old fashion open ball assembly it would have
dropped all the balls out and you'd have been totally broken down.
But it would still work in a slow gear and I managed to make it home
for repairs.

30 minutes later and all is well that ends well.

Now, with a rock and a piece of rusty fencing wire .....

Close, a rock and pocket tool screw driver. That's what I used to tighten the Italian ring on my Phil BB which backed-out, even with Locktite. That's the problem with Italian BBs. It only happened once, though, so maybe I didn't use enough thread goop that time around.

-- Jay Beattie.

surface prep ..... thinner wipe or soak....wipe thinner out with CHOH...if compulsive use an accelerator.

In cleaning lugnuts following brake work yesterday, a jug of Zep heavy duty degreaser was on the porch so Zep went into the lug can...soak n followed with a thinner rinse.

cleaned threads with spiked paper towel parts...

lubed with blue lock ..

n the lugs squeaked rotating onto the rotor bolts.

squeaked.

squeaking is not optimum but clean lugs they were.

Old June 23rd 17, 02:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, June 22, 2017 at 6:07:01 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:

Italian BB?

Of course, English one's tighten themselves up.
Old June 23rd 17, 02:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, June 22, 2017 at 6:39:33 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Remember how many of the Italian BB's come with blue Locktite on them? I got a tube of it since I don't want anything to ever lock in as the bottom bracket on my Time did. But it has the consistency of water and not the same thing I find on the factory parts. Any ideas?

dead cyclist in 'wrong place, wrong time' AMuzi Techniques 5 September 6th 15 07:00 PM
Was she in the wrong? Jilly UK 2 June 26th 13 04:03 PM
Wrong wrong wrong.... (ON topic) D'ohBoy Techniques 50 March 7th 09 08:00 PM
I could be wrong , Fritz General 2 August 10th 06 11:20 PM
The one thing that couldn't go wrong, did go wrong. Blair P. Houghton Techniques 142 August 27th 05 06:58 AM