Rubber cement question

Old June 24th 17, 07:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Rubber cement question

On Saturday, June 24, 2017 at 1:19:22 PM UTC-4, Joerg wrote:
Snipped
I've had tubes that felt absolutely normal, were not squashable, yet
when I came upon a rider with a flat and had sanded the tube the cement
came out like semi-dry snot. It wouldn't even stick to the rubber much,
you could "roll it back off".

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Again, that's why you should check your tube repair cememt BEFORE going on the ride.

Cheers
Old June 24th 17, 09:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 2017-06-23 10:45,
On 2017-06-23 06:55,
On 2017-06-22 13:47,
On Thursday, June 22, 2017 at 12:32:47 PM UTC-7, Joerg
On 2017-06-21 12:32,
wrote:
On Tuesday, June 20, 2017 at 1:28:06 PM UTC-7, Joerg
wrote:

What brand and where did you buy?

It says ProPatch on the label. It's been too long to
remember more.

It may have been a very long time. I only know medical
contact patches under that name and some for sports
injuries.

Ok, but the normal process requires vulcanizing the
sanded tube portion. This is done by applying the
cement and then letting it dry. The folks who wrote the
instructions for Slime 1050 seem to have forgotten (!)
that important part of letting things dry. How is that
going to work with a glueless patch?

Whatever gives you the idea that you are "vulcanizing"
anything with glue? All that means is that you are
adding sulfur to natural rubber.

Rema gave me that idea :-)

http://www.rematiptop.com/parts.php?sid=11

I don't believe their method is necessary. But it appears
they are using a natural rubber patch and then using their
active glue to chemically add sulfur to the material so that
it is one piece with the tube. I wouldn't think that to be
necessary. But perhaps since there is no appreciable smell
difference between the Rema glue and that of ProPatch.

No idea, I'd have to ask one of our Labradors :-)

http://propatch.com/

At first I thought they still have $1 patch kits but then saw
that's only if you buy 1000 of them.

And I figured the group would be more than willing to have a
source of cheap patch kits. ...

I can't understand that. I'd have taken 4-5 kits if there wasn't
any "Only one per rider" rule.

Sometimes I suspect that there are cyclists who swap just out the
tube and throw the punctured one into the trash at home. I have met
some that order half a dozen at a time and can't imagine them to
fix any tube. They often buy cheap thin tubes and consequently get
a lot of flats. I have extremely thick ones and rarely get flats
but the tubes are heavy.

Not one single person would buy one from me. So
now I have patch kits that I can will my grandchildren.

Unless you vacuum-seal and temp-control them the rubber cement
tubes will probably hard or their contents shrivel up. Not sure
what its shelf life is even under protective conditions.

Among the other things besides cleaning the chain this morning was
opening the seat pack and cleaning it out. Inside was one of those
patch kits that had to have been there for four years and the glue
felt normal from the outside. The box of patch kits are here next to
the computer so they undergo only the usual bay-side heating and
cooling cycles inside a house.

Yeah, but it does get really hot in your area. Yesterday I did a 40mi
trek just to see this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHqN9TZ_JZQ

Climbing the hills at the end in 100F wheater with no shade was nasty
but had to be done. Alternating between two sweat bands, with one airing
out dangling from a pannier loop. I guess nobody would have drafted me
for long but there were barely any other riders anyhow.

What are you going to do with all those patch kits? Will them to your
grandkids?

Send me your address and I'll send you a few.

Just sent it to your gmail address. However, I would like to pay for them.

If mailing isn't too much hassle for you that might be a way to get rid
of the kits. Nearly everyone on this NG will need a new patch kit every
so often because they had to use theirs on the road.

I wonder whether putting the cement tubes in the freezer would stretch
their unopened shelf life. My wife would frown a bit because I already
commandeered some freezer space for my brewing hops.

I don't think it makes any difference. Acetone's boiling point is 132 F and few homes get that warm. But sitting inside a seat pack in the sun sure could.
Old June 24th 17, 09:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Saturday, June 24, 2017 at 10:19:22 AM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:

I've had tubes that felt absolutely normal, were not squashable, yet
when I came upon a rider with a flat and had sanded the tube the cement
came out like semi-dry snot. It wouldn't even stick to the rubber much,
you could "roll it back off".

Now that you mention it I suppose I have as well. Open the tube and press on it and nothing comes out until you're almost completely compressed and then a bit comes out.

Perhaps the difference is that the bay area even on "warm" days isn't like central or southern California.
Old June 25th 17, 12:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-06-24 08:00,
On 2017-06-23 10:45,
On 2017-06-23 06:55,
On 2017-06-22 13:47,
On 2017-06-21 12:32,
Joerg wrote:

[...]

Probably right. Although some chemical aging reactions aren't really
digital but somewhat gradual.

My patch kit rides in a belt pack which in turn rides in one of the
black panniers. On Friday I was surprised that the water I had in those
panniers was almost too hot to drink after a few hours of riding in the
sun. I wish Shimano would make a hub driven compressor ...

Old June 25th 17, 12:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-06-24 11:23, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Saturday, June 24, 2017 at 1:19:22 PM UTC-4, Joerg wrote:
Snipped
I've had tubes that felt absolutely normal, were not squashable, yet
when I came upon a rider with a flat and had sanded the tube the cement
came out like semi-dry snot. It wouldn't even stick to the rubber much,
you could "roll it back off".

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Again, that's why you should check your tube repair cememt BEFORE going on the ride.

Yeah, by opening it and then it'll really go bad fast.

Old June 25th 17, 12:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-06-24 13:44, wrote:
On Saturday, June 24, 2017 at 10:19:22 AM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:

I've had tubes that felt absolutely normal, were not squashable,
yet when I came upon a rider with a flat and had sanded the tube
the cement came out like semi-dry snot. It wouldn't even stick to
the rubber much, you could "roll it back off".

Now that you mention it I suppose I have as well. Open the tube and
press on it and nothing comes out until you're almost completely
compressed and then a bit comes out.

Usually with a loud fart sound and then some gooey mess. Once a tube has
been opened it takes only a few month to reach that state here in the
Sierra Foothills.

Perhaps the difference is that the bay area even on "warm" days isn't
like central or southern California.

I think it was in this NG where people ridiculed me for carrying a
gallon of water on a 20mi singletrack. They should ride with me once, in
August or September. Sometimes we have MTB riders from the Bay Area come
up here to ride the trails, carrying two smallish bottles when the
forecast says 105F and there is not one cloud in sight. Even a 2-liter
hydration pack won't cut it.

Old June 25th 17, 12:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Saturday, June 24, 2017 at 7:08:02 PM UTC-4, Joerg wrote:
On 2017-06-24 13:44, wrote:
[...]

weldwood, at the hardware store

https://www.google.com/#q=alcoholism...=1498346092855
Old June 25th 17, 12:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-06-24 13:44,
wrote:
[...]

What's that got to do with ... rubber cement?

Old June 25th 17, 12:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On 2017-06-24 11:23, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Saturday, June 24, 2017 at 1:19:22 PM UTC-4, Joerg wrote:
Snipped
I've had tubes that felt absolutely normal, were not squashable, yet
when I came upon a rider with a flat and had sanded the tube the cement
came out like semi-dry snot. It wouldn't even stick to the rubber much,
you could "roll it back off".

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Again, that's why you should check your tube repair cememt BEFORE going on the ride.

Yeah, by opening it and then it'll really go bad fast.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Utter nonsense again Joerg. I have OPENED tubes of tube patch cememt that are a year or more old and are still useable.

Cheers
Old June 25th 17, 12:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Weldwood at the hardware store.

Doahn sniff it