Bike race on the A3?? Are they f*cking joking!

Old June 24th 17, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Bike race on the A3?? Are they f*cking joking!

On Friday, June 23, 2017 at 11:24:56 PM UTC+1, Tony Dragon wrote:
On 23-Jun-17 9:46 AM, d wrote:
What utter feeble minded feckwit thought it would be a good idea to hold
a bike race on the A3 south of guildford on a wednesday?? This is the main
dual carriageway from portsmouth to london with huge amounts of car and truck
traffic doing high speeds. Yet we had one bike every few hundred meters causing
trucks to constantly swerve in and out with dangerous levels of braking of the
cars. I genuinely think this was a highly dangerous and idiotic thing to
organise and shame on whoever gave permission.

In the past we have been told that you can not ban cyclists from roads.

Please cite the relevant post.

Are they allowed in the Hindhead Tunnel?

I am guessing not, but why would they want to when the tunnel cyclists paid for has created a more pleasant alternative.
Old June 25th 17, 12:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 24/06/2017 17:44, wrote:

On Saturday, June 24, 2017 at 12:26:23 AM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
On 23/06/2017 23:24, Tony Dragon wrote:
On 23-Jun-17 9:46 AM,
d wrote:

What utter feeble minded feckwit thought it would be a good idea to hold
a bike race on the A3 south of guildford on a wednesday?? This is the
main
dual carriageway from portsmouth to london with huge amounts of car
and truck
traffic doing high speeds. Yet we had one bike every few hundred
meters causing
trucks to constantly swerve in and out with dangerous levels of
braking of the
cars. I genuinely think this was a highly dangerous and idiotic thing to
organise and shame on whoever gave permission.

In the past we have been told that you can not ban cyclists from roads.

Are they allowed in the Hindhead Tunnel?

Or the Mersey Tunnels?

Yes.

Wrong (again).

QUOTE (from the Mersey Tunnels website):
Bicycles are not permitted through the Kingsway Tunnel. Through the
Queensway Tunnel, they are not allowed between the hours of 6:00am to
8:00pm, Monday to Friday, 7:00am to 8:00pm on Saturday and 8:00am to
9:00pm on Sunday.
ENDQUOTE

The "Kingsway Tunnel" is, in fact, two tunnels (dual carriageway
connecting A59 with the M53, via an all purpose Road in Wirral on which
cycling is prohibited).

The Queensway Tunnel is the "old" (single-carriageway)
Liverpool-Birkenhead route joing the A57/A59 junction with the A41 on
the Wirral side.

You are welcome to cycle through that tunnel when it's not busy with
proper traffic, but remember, it is one tunnel, not plural "tunnels".

The Dartford Tunnels (and bridge)?

No

The Blackwall Tunnels?

No

How about the Tyne Tunnel(s) (I ask that not knowing what the answer is)?

So why ask?

In order to find out.

Was that too difficult for you?

Here's the answer:

The "Tyne Tunnel" is the name for the 1960s-built road tunnels
(dual-carriageway) under the Tyne to the east of Newcastle. The tunnels
form part of the A19, though there was a period (back in the 1970s) when
the A1 was routed via those tunnels and over part of what is now (part
of) the A19. But the A1 now passes through Newcastle city centre again.
Cycling is not permitted on the A19 as it passes under the Tyne through
the Tyne Tunnel(s).

There is also a separate pair of amall-bore tunnels, opened in 1951, one
for pedestrians and one in which cyclists are tolerated.

Both of theose have been closed for more than four years (that alone
shows you how important they are) and will not be re-opened until next
spring (2018) at a minimum. It might be later than that. It has already
been postponed from summer 2017.

Old June 25th 17, 02:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

d wrote:

[...]

A single main bore with side tunnels on both sides of the river, so it's tunnels plural.

The Dartford Tunnels (and bridge)?

No

The Blackwall Tunnels?

No

How about the Tyne Tunnel(s) (I ask that not knowing what the answer is)?

So why ask?

In order to find out.

So do some research.

[...]

Was that too difficult?

Old June 26th 17, 09:28 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling

On Sat, 24 Jun 2017 16:18:13 +0100
"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote:
On Fri, 23 Jun 2017 09:46:12 +0100, wrote:

What utter feeble minded feckwit thought it would be a good idea to hold
a bike race on the A3 south of guildford on a wednesday?? This is the main
dual carriageway from portsmouth to london with huge amounts of car and truck
traffic doing high speeds. Yet we had one bike every few hundred meters

causing
trucks to constantly swerve in and out with dangerous levels of braking of

the
cars. I genuinely think this was a highly dangerous and idiotic thing to
organise and shame on whoever gave permission.

**** off you health and softy ****.

Newflash sunshine, if a vehicle had squished one of those cyclists - and I saw
quite a few come close especially going around some of the bends where the
manimal wasn't visible until the last minute - it wouldn't be the driver who's
family would be holding a funeral for him a few weeks later.

--
Spud

Old June 26th 17, 12:05 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling
James Wilkinson Sword[_4_]

On Mon, 26 Jun 2017 09:28:19 +0100, wrote:

[...]

So what? The cyclist chooses to enter the race, the cyclist decides what risks to take. If he thinks the roads are too dangerous for bicycles, he doesn't enter.

--
An old black-and-white photograph of a man milking a cow was sent to a photo-finishing company.
The man was sitting behind the cow, and all that was visible of him were his legs and feet.
Old June 26th 17, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling

On Mon, 26 Jun 2017 12:05:25 +0100
[...]

And in the meantime vehicles are having to swerve in and out dangerously
often just because a bunch of dickheads want to have a little race.

--
Spud

Old June 26th 17, 12:21 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling
James Wilkinson Sword[_4_]

On Mon, 26 Jun 2017 12:12:49 +0100, wrote:

[...]

Are you incapable of an overtaking manoeuvre? You don't swerve dangerously, you get held up. The only thing you can possibly complain about is being held up. If the driver swerves dangerously, it's the driver at fault.

--
An airliner was having engine trouble, and the pilot instructed the cabin crew to have the passengers take their seats and get prepared for an emergency landing.
A few minutes later, the pilot asked the flight attendants if everyone was buckled in and ready.