Minicab driver who ran over cyclist whilst distracted on mobile phonespared jail

Old April 22nd 17, 11:35 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
James Wilkinson Sword[_4_]

Default Minicab driver who ran over cyclist whilst distracted on mobilephone spared jail

On Sat, 22 Apr 2017 08:05:56 +0100, Bod wrote:

On 21/04/2017 23:24, JNugent wrote:
On 21/04/2017 17:56, Bod wrote:
On 21/04/2017 17:17, JNugent wrote:
On 21/04/2017 15:41, Bod wrote:
On 21/04/2017 15:12, JNugent wrote:
On 21/04/2017 12:46, Bod wrote:
On 21/04/2017 12:33, JNugent wrote:
On 21/04/2017 11:00, Bod wrote:

On 21/04/2017 10:57, Bod wrote:

*How was this not "dangerous driving"*?

Abdelyekini Olafusi was found guilty of careless driving after he
ran
down the woman in Clerkenwell.

Olafusi clipped the back of the 41-year-old cyclist’s wheel
when he
turned right at traffic lights on Gray's Inn Road on May 27.

The cyclist, an Italian woman, fell off her bike to the ground but
Olafusi did not stop and continued to drive over her.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime...-a3519751.html

*Correction* dangerous driving

The distinction is whether driving falls below the required
standard or
far below the required standard.

The latter is always (and rightly) hard to prove.

But the driver got a 15 month ban and a significant fine (£1250
IIRC,
and no mean penalty for someone whose livelihood has just been
withdrawn
from him).

I wouldn't like to be on the paying end of his next insurance
premium,
either.

Should he also have been fastened to a hurdle, drawn by horse to a
place
of execution, then hanged (almost to the point of death),
emasculated,
disembowelled, beheaded and quartered (chopped into four pieces)?

---
http://www.avg.com

It is NOT illegal to use a hands free phone whilst driving so one
assumes that he was holding the phone.

Not really, since there is no report of a charge for that. The story
goes on at length about use of a mobile phone, and it may well be that
he was using an ordinary hand-held phone (thereby doing so illegally),
but it doesn't actually say so, which is sort of my point.

People with phones stuck to their ears should be made an example of
with
jail sentences. That'll immediately greatly reduce the incidences of
these sort of accidents.

You do know that use of a hand-held phone while driving is not
punishable by a prison sentence, don't you?

And that it isn't even always an offence?

Read what I said again "People with phones stuck to their ears
should be
made an example of with jail sentences"
I never said it was prisonable at the moment.

That's what you call a squirm, isn't it?

A squirm for simply suggesting it being made an imprisonable offence?

You need to hon your reading and comprehension skills.

That is not what you wrote.

This is what I wrote ""People with phones stuck to their ears should be
made an example of with jail sentences".

Which way do *you* comprehend that sentence?

I think he's turning into a cyclist, he doesn't understand plain English anymore.

--
Q: If you have a mothball in one hand and another mothball in the other hand, what would you have?
A: The undivided attention of a very large moth!
Old April 22nd 17, 12:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

On 21/04/2017 11:00, Bod wrote:

On 21/04/2017 10:57, Bod wrote:

[...]

Perhaps Nugent will tell what he *imagined* I said. Nugent?
Old April 22nd 17, 12:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 22/04/17 12:09, Bod wrote:

This is what I wrote ""People with phones stuck to their ears
should be made an example of with jail sentences".

Which way do *you* comprehend that sentence?

I think he's turning into a cyclist, he doesn't understand plain
English anymore.

Perhaps Nugent will tell what he *imagined* I said. Nugent?

There is no escape from Nugent's uncanny telepathic ability in knowing
what you were thinking as you were writing, no matter what you actually
wrote. Don't deny that you genuinely believed that mobile phone use was
imprisonable until he put you straight.
Old April 22nd 17, 01:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

On 22/04/2017 12:49, TMS320 wrote:
On 22/04/17 12:09, Bod wrote:

This is what I wrote ""People with phones stuck to their ears
should be made an example of with jail sentences".

Which way do *you* comprehend that sentence?

I think he's turning into a cyclist, he doesn't understand plain
English anymore.

Perhaps Nugent will tell what he *imagined* I said. Nugent?

There is no escape from Nugent's uncanny telepathic ability in knowing
what you were thinking as you were writing, no matter what you actually
wrote. Don't deny that you genuinely believed that mobile phone use was
imprisonable until he put you straight.

Ooh er! I've purchased a tin foil hat to prevent anymore of his mind
reading.
Old April 22nd 17, 02:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 22/04/17 12:09, Bod wrote:

This is what I wrote ""People with phones stuck to their ears
should be made an example of with jail sentences".

Which way do *you* comprehend that sentence?

I think he's turning into a cyclist, he doesn't understand plain
English anymore.

Perhaps Nugent will tell what he *imagined* I said. Nugent?

There is no escape from Nugent's uncanny telepathic ability in knowing
what you were thinking as you were writing, no matter what you actually
wrote. Don't deny that you genuinely believed that mobile phone use was
imprisonable until he put you straight.

Ooh er! I've purchased a tin foil hat to prevent anymore of his mind
reading.

No good. Only Nugletite knitted by a maternal grandmother when she was a
virgin weakens such powers.

Old April 22nd 17, 02:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

On 22/04/17 12:09, Bod wrote:

This is what I wrote ""People with phones stuck to their ears
should be made an example of with jail sentences".

Which way do *you* comprehend that sentence?

I think he's turning into a cyclist, he doesn't understand plain
English anymore.

Perhaps Nugent will tell what he *imagined* I said. Nugent?

There is no escape from Nugent's uncanny telepathic ability in knowing
what you were thinking as you were writing, no matter what you actually
wrote. Don't deny that you genuinely believed that mobile phone use was
imprisonable until he put you straight.

Ooh er! I've purchased a tin foil hat to prevent anymore of his mind
reading.

No good. Only Nugletite knitted by a maternal grandmother when she was a
virgin weakens such powers.

In that case I shall wear my great grandfather's old Bodinium coated
socks. They will form a protective shield over my whole body. Nothing
will penetrate those, not even Nugentic waves.
Old April 22nd 17, 03:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 22/04/2017 11:32, TMS320 wrote:
On Fri, 21 Apr 2017 12:46:23 +0100, Bod
wrote:

It is NOT illegal to use a hands free phone whilst driving so one
assumes that he was holding the phone. People with phones stuck to
their ears should be made an example of with jail sentences.
That'll immediately greatly reduce the incidences of these sort of
accidents.

********. You can be not paying attention without using a phone at
all.

...and even less attention when playing with a phone.

On the other hand, I have no difficulty calling or texting
while driving.

You have no proof of that.

People can multitask (driving is already doing a few
things at once).

Driving is a single task that involves performing actions in a serial
fashion. It does not involve doing several things at once.

Hmmm... There are at least three separate tasks, all being performed
sinultaneously.

One is the obvious immediate control of the vehicle in the immediate
environment with the very short term in mind.

Another is the prospect of the remainder of the journey (planning, or at
least remembering, routes, likely traffic conditions, etc).

Yet another is constantly scanning the environment for potential hazard
- whether it's a vehicle that looks like it isn't going to stop at a
give-way line, a pedestrian heading for the kerb but not glancing in the
approaching car'sdirection, cyclists on the footway who might divert
onto the carriageway at any moment, etc, etc.

There may be others, for instance conversation with passengers, the
operation of in-vehicle systems, heaters, demisters, wipers, radios,
CD-players, etc.

People have a poor capacity to multitask and any attempt inevitably
leads to resources getting consumed by context switching. And they have
no proper means of setting priorities and schedules. The word is
horribly over used.

Despite that, using a phone in a car - even whilst driving - is not illegal.

---
http://www.avg.com

Old April 22nd 17, 03:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 21/04/2017 11:00, Bod wrote:

On 21/04/2017 10:57, Bod wrote:

[...]

That the sentencing power is currently available to the courts, of
course (but it isn't).

Even the most fascistic cyclist would not suggest that such draconian
punishment for a relatively minor offence should be automatic and not
properly considered by a court.

But I might be wrong in that last belief. Now that you have amplified
your meaning, we do now appear to have a case of a fascist urging that
citizens ought to be thrown into prison without due process and without
the possibility of defence or mitigation. Even house-burglars are
treated than that.

Old April 22nd 17, 03:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
James Wilkinson Sword[_4_]

On 21/04/2017 11:00, Bod wrote:

On 21/04/2017 10:57, Bod wrote:

[...]

No, he said it *should* be (although I completely disagree with his opinion).

Even the most fascistic cyclist would not suggest that such draconian
punishment for a relatively minor offence should be automatic and not
properly considered by a court.

You have seen the posts from the cycling nuts in here, right? There are plenty who think every little misdemeanour in a car should result in immediate death/castration/deportation.

But I might be wrong in that last belief. Now that you have amplified
your meaning, we do now appear to have a case of a fascist urging that
citizens ought to be thrown into prison without due process and without
the possibility of defence or mitigation. Even house-burglars are
treated than that.

When did he say there doesn't need to be evidence?

--
5 Brits were injured last year in accidents involving out of control Scalextric cars.
Old April 22nd 17, 04:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

On 21/04/2017 11:00, Bod wrote:

On 21/04/2017 10:57, Bod wrote:

[...]

Looks like Nugent is a bit of a Walter Mitty.