Chain Line

Old June 15th 17, 03:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Chain Line

On 2017-06-13 19:09, John B. wrote:

In a recent discussion I suggested changing from the old square
tapered BB to a modern Shimano outboard bearing bracket. The argument
was that this would destroy the perfect chain line of the original
three piece BB.

Now, I have changed back and forth between the original square tapered
axle to the outboard bearing BB and to my recollection the chain line
didn't seem to change noticeably.

Over the weekend we took a trip "up country" to visit some of my
wife's relatives and as we used my wife's car she drove. It is about
250 Km, one way, so I had a lot of time to think abut things and one
of the things I thought about was how could I change bottom brackets
with no appreciable difference in chain line.

This morning I turned one of my bikes bottom up and did some measuring
and it turns out that with the old fashioned three piece BB there is
slightly over 10mm clearance between the inner edge of the crank arm
and the outer edge of the BB. The outboard bearing "flanges" measured
12mm in thickness and the old sty;e BB flange is `1mm..

Thus the changing from the old style to the more modern BB results in
very little, if any, difference in chain line. Certainly less then the
difference between two cogs on the cassette.

Granted that bicycles are all different but the above does explain why
I, after switching from one type to the other, and back again, have
seen no noticeable difference in chain line.

The discussion you were referring to was about Shimano 600 gear which is
what I have on my road bike. The clearance from the inner edge of the
drive side crank to the outer surface of the BB is 3mm. Now assume your
12mm measurement minus the 1mm that the regular cartridge BB has. That's
already 11mm of chain line offset. A lot. You could reduce the clearance
to 2mm but that much wiggle room you really need for square taper and
that would still leave you with a chain line 10mm off from where it was.

On my previous frame, I migrated from Campagnolo square tapered BB &
cranks to Campagnolo outboard bearing BB assy, and the chain line didn't
shift 10mm.

Did you buy new cranks? If not, was there sufficient clearance to make
up for the added millimeter of the outboard bearing? On my bike there
isn't.

Is there an outboard BB bearing assembly that uses a square tapered axle?

I don't know. I bought a Campag Ultra Torque crank & BB assy back in
2007-8. I've replaced the bearings once, about 5 years ago. No bearing
slop noticeable yet.

Why do you think you are special?

See above. There simply is no room for another 11mm without the crank
moving at least 10mm outward. Naturally, the goal was to keep the
Shimano 600 cranks. Installing a UN55 internal cartridge bearing allowed
me to do that and so that is what I did.

So you think you're special because you want to keep cranks that aren't
compatible.

James - stay on track. This thread started with Joerg asking it the newer Shimano square taper BB with sealed bearings had the same taper as his original Shimano 600.

Most of what he supposedly said is entirely made up.

_I_ am the one that said that the newest hollow cranks are far better.

Don't you people think it's about time to follow the subject and not some subjective ideas you have?
Old June 15th 17, 07:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On 15/06/17 06:31, Joerg wrote:
On 2017-06-13 19:09, John B. wrote:

[...]

Chainline errors are entirely from not using the
manufacturer's specified parts.

Only a complete idiot would pull a functional spark plug
from a V8 and drop it into a 4-cyl Asian econobox. Yet
people mix arms and spindles which are ridiculously
incompatible every day and then ride over here to complain
that the crank's no good. Oy!

p.s. Almost all derailleur systems will work well with
+1mm/-1mm chainline error. Few can accept 10mm either way,
that is a very large distance.

I think I would have to be a bit picky here. A Big chain ring to a
small cassette cog is going to be about 21 mm out of line, assuming
that the chain line was initially aligned, big ring to 5th cog of a 9
speed cassette, and it still shifts.

But, of course, if the chain line was initially 10 mm out of alignment
then certainly shifting would be a bit "iffy" at least in one
direction :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old June 15th 17, 02:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 15/06/17 06:31, Joerg wrote:
On 2017-06-13 19:09, John B. wrote:

[...]

Sure, if you buy matching cranks it's all fine. However, in the
referenced thread it was not the objective to throw away a perfectly
good set of cranks just because of a new BB.

Five years is good but that depends on how many miles you put on, the
amount of uphill sections and whether you usually spin or mash.

Why do you think you are special?

See above. There simply is no room for another 11mm without the crank
moving at least 10mm outward. Naturally, the goal was to keep the
Shimano 600 cranks. Installing a UN55 internal cartridge bearing allowed
me to do that and so that is what I did.

So you think you're special because you want to keep cranks that aren't
compatible.

I am not special but among the people who wish not to belong to a
throw-away society.

Good luck.

Not needed. I received the new BB a while ago, installed it and all is
well. Cost me all of $20.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old June 15th 17, 03:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 15/06/17 06:31, Joerg wrote:
On 2017-06-13 19:09, John B. wrote:

[...]

On a triple the middle ring is aligned with the 5th cog.
Old June 15th 17, 03:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 15/06/17 06:31, Joerg wrote:
On 2017-06-13 19:09, John B. wrote:

[...]

I'm still trying to figure out how the conversation got from your worrying about a 1 mm realignment to a 10 mm realignment.
Old June 15th 17, 03:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 15/06/17 06:31, Joerg wrote:
On 2017-06-13 19:09, John B. wrote:

[...]

The BB I bought was 115mm instead of the 116mm of the previous installed
one. That didn't really concern me and, as Andrew hinted, it could be
remedied via spacer and would in the end only be 0.5mm per side.
Peanuts. I started the original thread because there are conflicting
statements about the Shimano UN55 BBs in the various ads. Many in the UK
said it's ISO-taper while in the US it was listed as JIS-taper (which
luckily turned out to be the case). Mostly, however, there was no
statement at all. There is a 4.5mm offset between JIS and ISO which
would not be good.

The 10mm offset came up because someone suggested a BB with outboard
bearings and that clearly does not work for Shimano 600 gear.

Anyhow, it's all done, the new BB-UN55 works and has survived three
rides now. I still have the steerer hose clamp though :-)

Old June 15th 17, 11:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 15/06/17 06:31, Joerg wrote:
On 2017-06-13 19:09, John B. wrote:

[...]

In recent years I raced A grade veterans (over 35) and generally ride
over 10,000km per year. I often head for the hills. I use 175mm cranks
and my cadence is usually around 90 on the flat and less while climbing.
Where I live now, a gentle hill is 5%, and most are up around 10%.

I don't think you could claim I give the BB an easy time. I used to
kill square taper cartridge BBs within a season - Shimano and Campagnolo.

Why do you think you are special?

See above. There simply is no room for another 11mm without the crank
moving at least 10mm outward. Naturally, the goal was to keep the
Shimano 600 cranks. Installing a UN55 internal cartridge bearing allowed
me to do that and so that is what I did.

So you think you're special because you want to keep cranks that aren't
compatible.

I am not special but among the people who wish not to belong to a
throw-away society.

Good luck.

Not needed. I received the new BB a while ago, installed it and all is
well. Cost me all of $20.

As I said, good luck. It will last a long time if you don't use it.

--
JS
Old June 15th 17, 11:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 15/06/17 06:31, Joerg wrote:
On 2017-06-13 19:09, John B. wrote:

[...]

My cadence is lower but yes, that is certainly hard use.

I don't think you could claim I give the BB an easy time. I used to
kill square taper cartridge BBs within a season - Shimano and Campagnolo.

Same here, one year used to be it for BBs. This one I rode longer but I
pushed it well past the point where others would call it shot. Where you
had to trim the front derailer when shifting more than one cog in back
because of the chain ring sway. Without friction shifters I couldn't
have kept using it.

Why do you think you are special?

See above. There simply is no room for another 11mm without the crank
moving at least 10mm outward. Naturally, the goal was to keep the
Shimano 600 cranks. Installing a UN55 internal cartridge bearing
allowed
me to do that and so that is what I did.

So you think you're special because you want to keep cranks that aren't
compatible.

I am not special but among the people who wish not to belong to a
throw-away society.

Good luck.

Not needed. I received the new BB a while ago, installed it and all is
well. Cost me all of $20.

As I said, good luck. It will last a long time if you don't use it.

You think the UN55 BBs aren't up to snuff? From what I read it should
hold up quite well. It is heavy which is one reason why some pros
frowned a bit but weight is of no concern to me.

Old June 16th 17, 02:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Thu, 15 Jun 2017 06:28:39 -0700, Joerg

On 15/06/17 06:31, Joerg wrote:
On 2017-06-13 19:09, John B. wrote:

[...]

I don't understand this continual complaining about prices. Here you
brag that you only spent $20 and in another post you said, "If I can
find decently priced cassette", and yet when I suggest that you go
into the bike carrier business as you claimed that everyone wanted a
rack like you made you said about you already had plenty of money.
--
Cheers,

John B.

triple chain line question Reid Priedhorsky Techniques 6 May 22nd 07 07:19 AM
The chain slips seldom when speeding up; can this break the chain? or do I have to line up the back sprockets? Iván C. Filpo Techniques 4 July 20th 06 04:44 PM
Chain line and chain wear... Xyzzy Techniques 5 June 25th 05 10:44 PM
chain line problem Joel Techniques 14 March 8th 05 04:32 AM
Chain Line Graham Techniques 16 October 2nd 04 08:36 AM