Electrolytes

Old June 20th 17, 10:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Electrolytes

On 6/20/2017 4:37 PM, wrote:
On Tuesday, June 20, 2017 at 10:23:04 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/20/2017 12:00 PM,
wrote:
I have rather a serious problem. When I ride I usually eat and drink nothing more than a pastry and a cup of coffee. The results of this are that I get extremely tired on long rides.

After reading physiological training books I'm informed that you should consume liquids with electrolytes in them - mainly slightly sweetened water with potassium and sodium in them. That is a type of cooking salt I believe.

Looking the drinks up that are replacement drinks the only one's I can see that aren't pure hype are Gatorade and Red Bull. The second one contains a little caffeine as well but only about 1/10th what you would get in a cup of coffee.

The "Sports Bars" and "Sports Drinks" in the stores upon reading the labels would scare the pants off of you. The amounts of sugar are so high that they cause your digestive process to freeze up and stop.

Does anyone have any good ideas about making your own sports drink since the cost of Gatorade or Red Bull are rediculous?

First, my younger body seemed to be much more tolerant of exercising
without replenishment, except for water. But somehow over the years
I've gotten more sensitive. I now try to remember to replenish both
sugar and electrolytes, but I sometimes forget - as on last Friday's
very hot, hilly 40 mile ride. I was pretty flattened for hours
afterwards. But I think I was also fighting off some mild virus.

Anyway, I once suffered from what I was sure was hyponatremia. I was
maybe 2/3 through my only double century on a very hot day. I'd been
drinking very consistently all through the ride, but I began feeling
almost sick with thirst, yet I had a belly sloshing full of water and
water tasted terrible. When I realized what was happening, I got salt
packets from a fast food restaurant, ate a couple, and put some into my
water bottles. It helped tremendously, and I finished the 200 miles
feeling tired but otherwise fine.

Since then, especially on hot days, I sprinkle some "Cardia Salt" (TM)
into each water bottle. It's table salt plus potassium chloride,
magnesium sulfate and some other stuff. I think it really helps.

A friend told me V8 Juice works well for her. Works for me, too. It's
sold in lots of convenience stores, so you can often buy it as you need it.

The other thing I should replenish better is simple sugars. I had a bag
of raisins (as usual) in my handlebar bag during that ride last week. I
forgot to eat them (as usual).

Salt Mineral Content: Himalayan and Celtic salts are cheaper than Cardia Salt and contain the same things.

Maybe so. Cardia Salt was what I was able to find in a pharmacy during
a bike tour. (I've had the bottle a long time.)

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 20th 17, 11:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 21/06/17 02:00, wrote:
[...]

I have read that iron men/women somehow measure the salt concentration
and volume they sweat per hour under race conditions, and concoct a
customized salty drink to keep the electrolytes in balance.

I should probably do something similar. Where I live now, particularly
in summer, even before you leave home the sweat is beading on your skin.

http://triharder.com/PAHNKE_poster_small.pdf

--
JS
Old June 20th 17, 11:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 21/06/17 04:54, Ned Mantei wrote:
On 20-06-17 18:00, wrote:
I have rather a serious problem. When I ride I usually eat and drink
nothing more than a pastry and a cup of coffee. The results of this
are that I get extremely tired on long rides.

After reading physiological training books I'm informed that you
should consume liquids with electrolytes in them - mainly slightly
sweetened water with potassium and sodium in them. That is a type of
cooking salt I believe.

Just to be clear, although sodium is a part of common salt (sodium
chloride), potassium is different and not found in cooking salt. Both
are absolutely required as salts, typically sodium chloride and
potassium chloride, for every kind of cell in your body to function
properly (sodium is mostly outside cells and potassium inside). You lose
both sodium and potassium when you sweat.

I don't usually ride more than 4 to max. 6 hours at a time, and stop for
lunch after a couple of hours. I assume that the lunch is what allows me
to go without taking any supplements.

Could part or all of your problem be low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) if
you exercise too much and don't eat enough?

Ned

http://www.ironman.com/~/media/29130... 022%2014.pdf

"While other electrolytes are important and
can be lost in sweat, they are lost in small
amounts and typically do not require
replacement during training. "

--
JS
Old June 20th 17, 11:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 21/06/17 06:44, wrote:
On Tuesday, June 20, 2017 at 11:54:31 AM UTC-7, Ned Mantei wrote:
On 20-06-17 18:00,
wrote:
[...]

Well certainly I must have low blood sugar but you recover from that
pretty fast with a candy bar. I like to pack a PayDay Bar when I
remember it. Nothing more than sugar covered in peanuts.

But that isn't the same problem as having your legs go completely
dead.

I find peanuts difficult to digest and often repeat on me if I've eaten
them before intense exercise.

--
JS
Old June 20th 17, 11:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-06-20 09:00, wrote:
I have rather a serious problem. When I ride I usually eat and drink
nothing more than a pastry and a cup of coffee. The results of this
are that I get extremely tired on long rides.

No water? I drink copious amounts. Some people ridicule me when I
mention that I carry a whole gallon on my MTB when doing the 28mi
western loop which has no sports fields, schools or other refill
opportunities. Well, only until the first time they ride it on a hot day
and run out of water in the middle of nowhere.

After reading physiological training books I'm informed that you
should consume liquids with electrolytes in them - mainly slightly
sweetened water with potassium and sodium in them. That is a type of
cooking salt I believe.

Looking the drinks up that are replacement drinks the only one's I
can see that aren't pure hype are Gatorade and Red Bull. The second
one contains a little caffeine as well but only about 1/10th what you
would get in a cup of coffee.

The "Sports Bars" and "Sports Drinks" in the stores upon reading the
labels would scare the pants off of you. The amounts of sugar are so
high that they cause your digestive process to freeze up and stop.

Does anyone have any good ideas about making your own sports drink
since the cost of Gatorade or Red Bull are rediculous?

We use this powder and mix up in small water bottles:

http://www.ultimareplenisher.com/pro...ving-canister/

Crummy web site but good stuff. On the MTB is mixes itself by all the
shaking. Amazon has it and sometimes I get it via EBay. Usually comes to
a cost of around 30c/bottle. Since then, no more cramps and most of all
hardly any lower leg cramps in the wee hours of the night after ride.
The ones where you almost want to scream. It also helps my wife who does
not ride but got cramps once in a while.

I prefer the orange flavor. Tried the citrus but for me that tasted too
much like artificial sweetener.

Other than that I eat one small non-sweet power-bar (home-baked) during
rides up to 5h. If I go longer than 5h I carry an additional 2-3 small
sandwiches from home-made and very dense bread. Baked from trub, which
is the residue in the bottom of a fermenter after home-brewing beer.
That has kept me from the dreaded bonk that I experienced once and never
want to go through again.

And, of course, hardly any ride will be done without a stop for a nice
fresh Double-IPA, Belgian Tripel or similar. Preferably brewed right at
the pub.

If you are after caffeine there used to be (still is?) Jolt Cola.
Software engineers told me that can keep them awake and coding all night.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old June 21st 17, 12:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

BUY E drinks by the carton. Small can Bull's are mixed with h20.sip.

try a thermos filled with cold rotini in a raspberry yogurt sauce chased with a cold spring water fed orange RB.

try chilled Perrier ....knock your socks off.

Old June 21st 17, 12:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, June 20, 2017 at 3:09:07 PM UTC-4, sms wrote:
On 6/20/17 9:00 AM, wrote:
[...]

Look into Brawndo, The Thirst Mutilator. It's got electrolytes, and it's
what plants crave.

Seriously though, you can buy a 4 pound container of Gatorade powder,
which makes 36 quarts, for less than $11 at Costco
https://www.costcobusinessdelivery.com/Gatorade-Perform-Drink-Mix%2C-Frost-Glacier-Freeze%2C-4-lbs.product.11980343.html.
That's about 30¢ per quart, or about 19¢ to fill a standard 20 ounce
bicycle water bottle.

There's a bunch of homemade "Gatorade" recipes but since they tend to
use natural ingredients (juice, water, sea salt, honey) they're much
more expensive than buying the Gatorade powder which doesn't have the
expense of real juice or honey or sea salt, and is mostly just sugar,
citric acid, artificial flavors, and salt.

lemon juice... as a lemon .... with a sprinkle of salt in chilled Dasani does it.
Old June 21st 17, 02:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Tuesday, June 20, 2017 at 12:00:58 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

If you want something that isn't too expensive you can go to the grocery store and buy Half-n-half salt which is 50% Sodium and 50% Potassium. You MUST have Potassium in order to be able to utilize the sodium. To sweeten the drink a bit and to give it and you a bit of an energy supplemennt you cas add some honey to it. You'll need to expreriment to see what amounts of eeach are best for your body to handle. SOme people can handle a LOT more honey/sugars (carbohydrates) than others.

Cheers
Old June 21st 17, 02:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

[...]

If you have a stainless steel unbreakable thermos type bootle then chocholate drink mix (aka chcohlate milk) is an excellent beverage. Just be sure to keep it cool during the ride.

It also makes an excellent post-ride recovery drink.

Cheers
Old June 21st 17, 02:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, June 20, 2017 at 9:40:27 PM UTC-4, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

anaerobic conditioning lead to metabolizing/digesting sugars ? the raspberry yogurt...in a nonfat milk compound ....digested ...here choc milk

when available I'd carry a 3 musketeers bar ...no downsides.