Who was at fault?

Old April 27th 19, 02:02 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

Default Who was at fault?

On Sat, 27 Apr 2019 00:54:17 +0100
TMS320 wrote:

The taxi brake lights would also have come on.

Precisely.

The driver was 100% to blame for creating the situation but the
person on the bike might have done more to avoid.

As vulnerable road users we really need to pay attention to what is
happening around us, and expect other road users to be careless, stupid
or just plain nasty. A couple of "bad drivers in the UK" videos I
watched earlier seemed to be mostly about drivers failing to anticipate
other road users or being combative and inconsiderate towards them,
then trying to make out that it was the other driver behaving badly.
Thankfully I also found a video compilation of considerate driving, I
may watch that again later. :-)

Old April 27th 19, 10:55 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 26/04/2019 20:12, MrCheerful wrote:

Riding along with your hands off the controls is not the safest way to
ride a bicycle, in fact it is careless.

The video is not good enough to show that. How do you know?
Old April 27th 19, 10:57 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

TMS320 wrote:

The taxi brake lights would also have come on.

Precisely.

The driver was 100% to blame for creating the situation but the
person on the bike might have done more to avoid.

As vulnerable road users we really need to pay attention to what is
happening around us, and expect other road users to be careless, stupid
or just plain nasty. A couple of "bad drivers in the UK" videos I
watched earlier seemed to be mostly about drivers failing to anticipate
other road users or being combative and inconsiderate towards them,
then trying to make out that it was the other driver behaving badly.
Thankfully I also found a video compilation of considerate driving, I
may watch that again later. :-)

Most crashes are due to one road user doing something wrong and the
other road user failing to avoid, either through doing the wrong action,
or not acting.

It is normal to punish the one doing the original wrong not the one that
fails to avoid - even when a more competent road user would have avoided.

That isn't to suggest there aren't situations where it might be better
to punish the one that failed to avoid.

Who was at fault? Simon Jester UK 15 October 28th 17 10:02 AM
Its all our fault Tony Raven UK 49 December 20th 05 04:07 PM
Was this all my fault? Colin McAdams UK 283 August 29th 05 08:08 AM
It's your fault Maggie General 22 November 16th 04 06:41 PM
Whose fault? Nick Kew UK 7 August 15th 03 07:29 PM