How come bicycle clothing looks so silly?

Old January 14th 09, 01:30 PM posted to alt.war.vietnam,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc
BobT[_3_]

Default How come bicycle clothing looks so silly?

"!Jones' Sock Puppet" wrote in message
Actually, I kinda *like* men in tight, black panties... but, my
question has always been: How do you wear that stuff in public and
keep a straight face?

... but, mostly, how come I gotta wear these goofy-looking panties? I
simply cannot be seen in public wearing these things! I'd sooner ride
nekkid!

Eat yer heart out, Nitla!

Jones

I wear bike shorts because I want to look like this incredibly macho man,
perhaps the greatest cyclist of all time:

http://tinyurl.com/84v2bg

One caveat, bike shorts must be black. I look like this in light colored
spandex and everyone seems to sta

http://tinyurl.com/8a344b

BT

Old January 14th 09, 02:25 PM posted to alt.war.vietnam,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc
!Jones' Sock Puppet

On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 17:42:53 -0800 (PST), in alt.war.vietnam "gnu /
linux" wrote:

On Jan 13, 4:34*pm, !Jones' Sock Puppet wrote:
Actually, I kinda *like* men in tight, black panties... but, my
question has always been: How do you wear that stuff in public and
keep a straight face?

I recall when a decent bicycle cost a day's wages and you could ride
the damn thing in cut-offs, a T-shirt, and sneakers. *If you were
*really* high-tech, you had a Bendix two-speed kick-back. *It was
heavy, noisy, and difficult to ride; however, real *men* rode bicycles
in those days... and no self-respecting faggot would have been caught
in Spandex!

Nowadays, bicycles cost more than an African wage-earner can hope to
make in his or her lifetime! *There's something wrong here!

Why can't I buy a decent friction shifter anymore? *Indexed shifters
are OK until they wear a little bit, then they're useless. *I can't
adjust my front cage with an indexed shifter...

... but, mostly, how come I gotta wear these goofy-looking panties? *I
simply cannot be seen in public wearing these things! *I'd sooner ride
nekkid!

Eat yer heart out, Nitla!

Jones

functional = funky looking ?

Well, I commute, so I have to walk into the office. Sometimes, I
can't change immediately, thus I have to be wearing something that's
functional and does not look silly.

Face it, most sane people couldn't wear the available bicycle clothing
and keep a straight face. You couldn't sell Spandex to the motorcycle
crowd.

Jones

Old January 14th 09, 02:50 PM posted to alt.war.vietnam,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc
[email protected][_2_]

On Jan 13, 3:34*pm, !Jones' Sock Puppet wrote:
[...]

I am in agreement that cycling clothing looks silly. So does baseball,
football, golf and soccer. You wouldn't walk into an office wearing
most sports outfits. You just wear them while you practice your sport,
even though you can play them without the "official" garb.

If you need to go commute by bike, you can wear street clothes and
you'll be fine. However, even though I pretty much hate cycling
clothes, they are more comfortable and practical for riding.
Especially, if you ride more than 2 hours and frequently. So, while I
take off my cycling stuff as soon as I can, and do not to wear
advertisements I find it way more comfortable that street stuff.

I am totally aware that I look that a duffus, nerd, geek, dork, goof
while sporting my cycling stuff. However, I need to laugh at myself as
often as possible. Regarding the homosexual references, shhhhhhh!
please don't out us latent ones. Let us keep our little secret.
Old January 14th 09, 02:51 PM posted to alt.war.vietnam,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc
[email protected][_2_]

On Jan 14, 5:30*am, "BobT"
wrote:
"!Jones' Sock Puppet" wrote in messagenews:5h4qm4l8i04l3mq0g06bu9fphinve41h9u@4ax .com...

Actually, I kinda *like* men in tight, black panties... but, my
question has always been: How do you wear that stuff in public and
keep a straight face?
... but, mostly, how come I gotta wear these goofy-looking panties? *I
simply cannot be seen in public wearing these things! *I'd sooner ride
nekkid!

Eat yer heart out, Nitla!

Jones

I wear bike shorts because I want to look like this incredibly macho man,
perhaps the greatest cyclist of all time:

http://tinyurl.com/84v2bg

One caveat, bike shorts must be black. *I look like this in light colored
spandex and everyone seems to sta

http://tinyurl.com/8a344b

BT

I think that the dude in yellow looks more macho than Eddie.
Old January 14th 09, 03:13 PM posted to alt.war.vietnam,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc
SMS

!Jones' Sock Puppet wrote:
Actually, I kinda *like* men in tight, black panties... but, my
question has always been: How do you wear that stuff in public and
keep a straight face?

The riders wearing the ridiculous looking clothing stand out more, but
it's rather a small percentage of riders. Non-ridiculous looking jerseys
and classic wool knickers are still available.
Old January 14th 09, 03:22 PM posted to alt.war.vietnam,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc
bluezfolk

On Jan 13, 5:34*pm, !Jones' Sock Puppet wrote:
[...]

There's no law that says you can't wear whatever you want.

Eric
Old January 14th 09, 03:53 PM posted to alt.war.vietnam,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc
Chas Hurst

"!Jones' Sock Puppet" wrote in message
On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 17:42:53 -0800 (PST), in alt.war.vietnam "gnu /

.. You couldn't sell Spandex to the motorcycle
crowd.

Jones

Sure you can. They just don't wear it in public.

Old January 14th 09, 05:09 PM posted to alt.war.vietnam,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc
JimM

On Jan 14, 7:53*am, "Chas Hurst" wrote:
"!Jones' Sock Puppet" wrote in messagenews:clprm4t18e3l6q46h9ten1mthba06cfgks@4ax .com... On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 17:42:53 -0800 (PST), in alt.war.vietnam "gnu /

. *You couldn't sell Spandex to the motorcycle

crowd.

Jones

Sure you can. They just don't wear it in public.

Please end this silly topic and put it out of its misery! Why don't
you amble over to roadbikereview.com or some such and start it there
where it has meaning? Preaching to the choir has no benefits regarding
changing minds or perceptions. It just shines the spotlight on the
ignorant.
Old January 14th 09, 06:35 PM posted to alt.war.vietnam,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc
[email protected][_2_]

On Jan 14, 7:13*am, SMS wrote:
!Jones' Sock Puppet wrote:
Actually, I kinda *like* men in tight, black panties... but, my
question has always been: How do you wear that stuff in public and
keep a straight face?

The riders wearing the ridiculous looking clothing stand out more, but
it's rather a small percentage of riders. Non-ridiculous looking jerseys
and classic wool knickers are still available.

I wear a lot of made at home clothes. My arm warmers are the legs of
cheap tights and so are my leg warmers. My facemask is the arm of a
cotton polyester long sleeved shirt. I wanted something thin that
didn't itch and the fleece ones are two thick. My jerseys are old a
full of holes. My cycling companions often toss coin at me or plan on
taking collections so that I can buy clothes. One of the local lbs
owners tells me that I am bad advertisement for his establishment.

I don't like most lycra shorts on my legs. They itch me. Most of the
really soft ones are $$$$$$. I like the cotton ones or the supplex
ones. Supplex and cotton shorts are made by very few companies, so
mine are almost all transparent. If someone knows a source of cheap,
silky soft cycling shorts, let me know.
Old January 14th 09, 07:36 PM posted to alt.war.vietnam,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

" wrote:

I wear a lot of made at home clothes. My arm warmers are the legs of
cheap tights and so are my leg warmers. My facemask is the arm of a
cotton polyester long sleeved shirt. I wanted something thin that
didn't itch and the fleece ones are two thick. My jerseys are old a
full of holes. My cycling companions often toss coin at me or plan on
taking collections so that I can buy clothes. One of the local lbs
owners tells me that I am bad advertisement for his establishment.

I like your method of reusing clothes for other
purposes especially the one abt using a sleeve form
jersey as facemask!! Good one

I sometimes use old wool socks as mittens when running