Speeding cyclists

Old February 21st 04, 05:40 PM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

Default Speeding cyclists

See

http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/Conte...me=21+Feb+2004
+11%3A28&tbrand=ENOnline&tCategory=NEWS&category=N ews&brand=ENOnline&itemi
d=NOED21+Feb+2004+11%3A28%3A48%3A113

or

http://tinyurl.com/2mngt

"Danger warning to speeding cyclists

February 21, 2004 11:28

CITY cyclists have been warned not to risk their lives hurtling down Grapes
Hill trying to set off the speed camera.

The warning follows reports that people have been reaching breakneck speeds
descending the steep hill, in the hope that they can cross the 30mph barrier
and get a flash from the camera.

The cameras are designed to catch motorbikes and mopeds as well as cars and so
would be triggered by pedal bikes travelling at more than 30mph.

But because the bikes do not have license plates the riders cannot be fined and
traced.

Despite the reports of people trying, Bryan Edwards, Norfolk Casualty Reduction
Partnership, said he was not aware that the camera had yet flashed any
cyclists.

But he warned them it was still an offence to exceed the speed limit on a bike
and that they were putting themselves in great danger.

He said: "It is a motoring offence and you can be prosecuted under the Road
Traffic Act, just like you can be drunk in charge of a pushbike.

"All I would say is that they would be exceptionally stupid to do those speeds
down Grapes Hill. You would risk life and limb on a pushbike. It sounds like an
accident waiting to happen.

"Cyclists are perhaps one of the most vulnerable of road users and they have no
protection around them."

Inspector Jeff Anderson, from Central Area Road Policing, said: "Norfolk
Constabulary would discourage cyclists from pursuing such a stupid activity
which could result in a serious collision injuring both the cyclist and other
road users. The speed camera has been situated on Grapes Hill in order to
prevent such collisions."

The camera was installed in July 2003 in an effort to prevent accidents as
traffic approaches the busy crossroads at the bottom.

In the three years before it was put up, there had been 56 accidents on Grapes
Hill, eight resulting in death or serious injury.

Mr Edwards said that the road had been made safer by the camera."

Whilst I think any cyclist deliberately trying to set off the speed camera is a
fool, it would be "interesting" to see what would happen if they took a cyclist
to court for *speeding* as described by the RTA as opposed to the furious
pedalling or pedalling furiously - or whatever the correct offence is...

Cheers, helen s

to get correct one remove dependency on fame & fortune
h*$el*$$e**nd***$o$ts***i*$*$m**m$$o*n**s@$*$a$$o* *l.c**$*$om$$

Old February 21st 04, 06:06 PM
Paul - xxx

dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers posted ...

Whilst I think any cyclist deliberately trying to set off the speed
camera is a fool, it would be "interesting" to see what would happen
if they took a cyclist to court for *speeding* as described by the
RTA as opposed to the furious pedalling or pedalling furiously - or
whatever the correct offence is...

Now there's a challenge ...

--
Paul

Old February 21st 04, 06:12 PM
Helen Deborah Vecht

omcom (dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers)typed

Despite the reports of people trying, Bryan Edwards, Norfolk Casualty
Reduction
Partnership, said he was not aware that the camera had yet flashed any
cyclists.

But he warned them it was still an offence to exceed the speed limit
on a bike
and that they were putting themselves in great danger.

He said: "It is a motoring offence and you can be prosecuted under the Road
Traffic Act, just like you can be drunk in charge of a pushbike.

Oh dear! He really doesn't know, does he?

"All I would say is that they would be exceptionally stupid to do
those speeds
down Grapes Hill. You would risk life and limb on a pushbike. It
sounds like an
accident waiting to happen.

Nah, Grapes Hill is smooth and wide. 30mph could be FUN!...

"Cyclists are perhaps one of the most vulnerable of road users and
they have no
protection around them."

Quite. They wouldn't try if there was any other traffic...

Inspector Jeff Anderson, from Central Area Road Policing, said: "Norfolk
Constabulary would discourage cyclists from pursuing such a stupid activity
which could result in a serious collision injuring both the cyclist
and other
road users. The speed camera has been situated on Grapes Hill in order to
prevent such collisions."

Hmmm... Idon't think there are speed cameras on East Heath Road in
Hampstead. I've done 38mph there...

The camera was installed in July 2003 in an effort to prevent accidents as
traffic approaches the busy crossroads at the bottom.

Anyone with sense would slow down long before the crossroads.

In the three years before it was put up, there had been 56 accidents
on Grapes
Hill, eight resulting in death or serious injury.

How many involved cyclists? EMWTK.

Mr Edwards said that the road had been made safer by the camera."

Whilst I think any cyclist deliberately trying to set off the speed
camera is a
fool, it would be "interesting" to see what would happen if they took
a cyclist
to court for *speeding* as described by the RTA as opposed to the furious
pedalling or pedalling furiously - or whatever the correct offence is...

Quite!

to get correct one remove dependency on fame & fortune
h*$el*$$e**nd***$o$ts***i*$*$m**m$$o*n**s@$*$a$$o* *l.c**$*$om$$

--
Helen D. Vecht:

Edgware.
Old February 21st 04, 06:25 PM
Ian Smith

On 21 Feb 2004, dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers
wrote:

But he warned them it was still an offence to exceed the speed limit
on a bike and that they were putting themselves in great danger.

He said: "It is a motoring offence and you can be prosecuted under
the Road Traffic Act, just like you can be drunk in charge of a
pushbike.

Yet more proof that the powers-that-be are often at least as ignorant
as the Daily Mail.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
Old February 21st 04, 06:51 PM
Tony Raven

Ian Smith wrote:

Yet more proof that the powers-that-be are often at least as ignorant
as the Daily Mail.

And the powers-that-be in this case is the Norfolk Casualty Reduction
Partnership which comprises
- Norfolk County Council Planning & Transportation Department,
- Norfolk Constabulary,
- Norfolk Magistrates Court,
- The Highways Agency
- Crown Prosecution Service (Norfolk Branch).

Oh dear

Tony.

Old February 21st 04, 07:13 PM
Zog The Undeniable

CITY cyclists have been warned not to risk their lives hurtling down Grapes
Hill trying to set off the speed camera.

Where? Where?

My record freewheeling naughtiness was 48mph in a 30 zone...sadly no
camera. And it isn't illegal, although I'm sure there's some 19th
century law aimed at horse riders which you can be charged under.
Didn't some guy get done in Cambridge a few years ago for "riding
furiously" at 20mph? That's cruising speed for people on racing bikes!

Going up to the North Pennines in April. I reckon I should be able to
join the 100km/h (62.14mph) club coming off Killhope Moor :-)

Old February 21st 04, 07:14 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Just spotted this:

He said: "It is a motoring offence"

Hehe - anyone see the flaw in his logic?

Old February 21st 04, 08:24 PM
MSeries

Zog The Undeniable wrote:

CITY cyclists have been warned not to risk their lives hurtling down
Grapes Hill trying to set off the speed camera.

Where? Where?

My record freewheeling naughtiness was 48mph in a 30 zone...sadly no
camera. And it isn't illegal, although I'm sure there's some 19th
century law aimed at horse riders which you can be charged under.
Didn't some guy get done in Cambridge a few years ago for "riding
furiously" at 20mph? That's cruising speed for people on racing
bikes!

Going up to the North Pennines in April. I reckon I should be able to
join the 100km/h (62.14mph) club coming off Killhope Moor :-)

Maybe we should have a u.r.c meet early one Sunday morning at the top of
Grapes Hill and all of us give it a go ! Wheres Killhope Moor ? BTW My all
time fastest speed was 56 mph descending the Col du Tourmalet during L'Etape
du Tour in '94. 49 in the UK on Holme Moss. Maybe by the time I'm 40 I can
join the 100 Club.

Old February 21st 04, 10:10 PM
andrew

super snip
He said: "It is a motoring offence and you can be prosecuted under the

Road
Traffic Act, just like you can be drunk in charge of a pushbike.

A cycling mate of mine who is still in the plod & former traffic officer
assures me that the speed limit only applies to motorised vehicles & not to
cycles.

And as for drunk in charge it is only in the opinion of the arresting
officer, you can't be breathalysed or get points on / loose your car
license.

--
Andrew

"Look laddie, if you're in the penalty area and aren't quite sure what to do
with the ball, just stick it in the net and we'll discuss all your options
afterwards."

Road or Sidewalk? K-Man General 74 June 19th 04 12:26 AM
Convincing people to use helmets Oliver Keating UK 391 February 25th 04 12:50 PM
Mutual respect - long-ish vernon levy UK 4 January 31st 04 08:04 PM
Drivers want road test for cyclists (Observer article) David Cowie UK 8 January 21st 04 09:57 PM
"speeding cyclists on towpath" Paul Luton UK 68 January 6th 04 08:17 AM