Newbie impressions of a suspension bike.

Old June 17th 04, 02:29 AM
Rural QLD CC

Default Newbie impressions of a suspension bike.

Greetings,
As I've previously posted here, I've just taken delivery of a
Giant VT3. I thought I'd post my thoughts as a newbie to full suspension
bikes.

* The ride is infinitely more comfortable than either of the rigid frame
bikes I've ridden in the past (a cheapo one and a reasonable quality Trek
one).
* Standing up to pedal is a really wierd feeling, as the suspension
compresses/rebounds.
* The suspension definitely robs some power on uphill runs.
* Having the tyres in contact with the ground over the bumpy stuff gives a
lot more confidence in the corners.
* Not having the teeth jarred out of your head when you land a jump is
wonderful :-)
* Tear-arsing down a hill and being able to hit the bumps/ruts/whatever at
the bottom at full speed (within reason) is also wonderful :-)
* Disk brakes are awesome!
* Quality shifters and levers are also awesome :-)
* The seat supplied with this bike has to be the most uncomfortable thing
I've ever sat on. Good thing I bought padded Neti shorts......

All I have to do now is find more/rougher places to ride :-)

MrBonk
www.mrbonk.com

Old June 17th 04, 03:07 AM
pas

Rural QLD CC wrote:
Greetings,
As I've previously posted here, I've just taken
delivery of a Giant VT3. I thought I'd post my thoughts as a newbie
to full suspension bikes.

* The seat supplied with this bike has to be the most uncomfortable
thing I've ever sat on. Good thing I bought padded Neti shorts......

just because you have suspension does not mean you just sit on the thing and
let the suspension absorb all the hits... now's your chance to work on being
a dynamic rider, which means you are still out of the saddle when anything
interesting is happening.

penny

Old June 17th 04, 03:31 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-06-17, pas penned:
Rural QLD CC wrote:
Greetings, As I've previously posted here, I've just taken delivery
of a Giant VT3. I thought I'd post my thoughts as a newbie to full
suspension bikes.

* The seat supplied with this bike has to be the most uncomfortable
thing I've ever sat on. Good thing I bought padded Neti shorts......

just because you have suspension does not mean you just sit on the
thing and let the suspension absorb all the hits... now's your chance
to work on being a dynamic rider, which means you are still out of
the saddle when anything interesting is happening.

penny

What she said. But also, you're aware that you can swap out saddles,
right?

--
monique
Old June 17th 04, 04:14 AM
Rural QLD CC

I only find it uncomfortable when I'm 'commuting' between the interesting
bits or doing the morning/afternoon ride to/from work on the road. When the
interesting stuff is happening, I *am* out of the saddle.....sometimes not
by choice :-) I've been looking online for my options re a more comfortable
saddle.....just have to get the time to try a couple and decide which one I
want.

MrBonk
www.mrbonk.com

Old June 17th 04, 11:40 AM
Stephen Baker

Rural QLD says:

I've been looking online for my options re a more comfortable
saddle....

Don't even think about a new saddle until you've put a few weeks into that one!
Itr is your bum that is uncomfortable on the saddle. If, as you say, you are
a newbie, you may just need to break in your backside. If the saddle is still
umcomfie after that, THEN go look for one.

Steve
Old June 17th 04, 12:58 PM
Zilla

pas wrote:
Rural QLD CC wrote:
Greetings,
As I've previously posted here, I've just taken
delivery of a Giant VT3. I thought I'd post my thoughts as a newbie
to full suspension bikes.

* The seat supplied with this bike has to be the most uncomfortable
thing I've ever sat on. Good thing I bought padded Neti shorts......

just because you have suspension does not mean you just sit on the
thing and let the suspension absorb all the hits... now's your chance
to work on being a dynamic rider, which means you are still out of
the saddle when anything interesting is happening.

penny

Interesting. I thought the idea behind an FS is to "sit on it as much as
you can" and let it do the work, that is, let the air or spring compress
and absorb the bumps. It'll do this better against an opposing force,
the rider's weight. Notice I didn't say "sit on it all the time." It still
calls
for "dynamic riding" as you put it.

--
- Zilla
Cary, NC

Old June 17th 04, 05:31 PM
Brett Jaffee

"Zilla" wrote in
:

Interesting. I thought the idea behind an FS is to "sit on it as much
as you can" and let it do the work, that is, let the air or spring
compress and absorb the bumps. It'll do this better against an
opposing force, the rider's weight.

When I started riding last year, I read almost the exact same thing you
just wrote in a book called "Mountain Biking Skills." Helpful book, but
I'm still a bit suspiscious of that statement, since when you stand up, the
weight does not disappear from the rear suspension. Yeah, it might shift
forward somewhat, but the suspension is still loaded as long as you're
standing on the pedals.

At any rate, I was in a similar position you are in now. I rode my old
hardtail for several months, then got a new FS bike. The main area where I
found I could sit vs the hardtail was on bumpy trails with a relatively
shallow inclines (where I'd be pedaling regardless of going up or
downhill). On those type trails, I'd be able to go fast enough on a
hardtail that sitting down would be uncomfortable, whereas on the FS, I can
stay seated and pedal away comfortably.

On "actual" downhills, I'd say I still stand about 90-100% of the time that
I would on a hardtail. Part of the reason for that, I think, is that when
you get a FS bike, you quickly get used to the cushy feel, and then start
riding back at the same bumpiness comfort level you had on your
hardtail...that means it'll feel just as bumpy, but only because you're now
going faster (so be careful).
Old June 17th 04, 09:40 PM
MrBonk

Yeah, I got some Netti bike shorts (the 'regular' looking shorts).
Certainly makes a big difference, but I don't wear them on the commute to
work. Doesn't matter from here on in anyway......next week I'm moving to a
different town and I'll be commuting the 30kms to work on my motorbike
instead. I'll be using the Netti shorts when I'm on the bike from then on.

MrBonk
www.mrbonk.com

"Bonehenge" wrote in message
On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 13:14:26 +1000, "Rural QLD CC"
wrote:

I only find it uncomfortable when I'm 'commuting' between the interesting
bits or doing the morning/afternoon ride to/from work on the road. When

the
interesting stuff is happening, I *am* out of the saddle.....sometimes

not
by choice :-) I've been looking online for my options re a more

comfortable
saddle.....just have to get the time to try a couple and decide which one

want.

Are you wearing bike shorts?

Barry

Old June 17th 04, 09:53 PM
Jonesy

"Zilla" wrote in message .. .
pas wrote:
Rural QLD CC wrote:
Greetings,
As I've previously posted here, I've just taken
delivery of a Giant VT3. I thought I'd post my thoughts as a newbie
to full suspension bikes.

* The seat supplied with this bike has to be the most uncomfortable
thing I've ever sat on. Good thing I bought padded Neti shorts......

just because you have suspension does not mean you just sit on the
thing and let the suspension absorb all the hits... now's your chance
to work on being a dynamic rider, which means you are still out of
the saddle when anything interesting is happening.

penny

Interesting. I thought the idea behind an FS is to "sit on it as much as
you can" and let it do the work, that is, let the air or spring compress
and absorb the bumps.

Sitting means you can't use your balance and weight-shifting as much
as you could. Your legs are really good at doing this, so if you are
standing on the pedals, you can put them to work doing those things
you've trained them to do over your whole life - weight-shift,
balance, shock-absorption. The bike's suspension helps in the latter,
leaving you to concentrate on the two former.

It'll do this better against an opposing force,
the rider's weight.

The rider's weight is still on the suspension, whether or not your
cheeks are planted on the ass-hatchet.

Notice I didn't say "sit on it all the time." It still
calls
for "dynamic riding" as you put it.

I find I use the saddle much more climbing, even for steep grinds.
But when I'm descending, my butt hardly ever meets the saddle.

Now, if I rode the uber-technical trails of Florida, I would probably
sit more.

--
Jonesy