why bigger tires?

Old July 11th 04, 09:52 PM
pas

Default why bigger tires?

educate me, discuss or call me an idiot, doesn't matter ;-)

What's the deal with different tire sizes? Tuff grrl keeps telling I should
go bigger, but being the weight weenie and cheapskate I am, I "just say no".
Is there a reason an XC rider would want bigger tires? More traction, more
stability? I always figured bigger tires were for primarily big hit/DH
riders. Do bigger tires contribute more to trail erosion, or only if
skidded?

care to elaborate, any one?

penny

Old July 11th 04, 10:11 PM
Zilla

pas wrote:
educate me, discuss or call me an idiot, doesn't matter ;-)

What's the deal with different tire sizes? Tuff grrl keeps telling I
should go bigger, but being the weight weenie and cheapskate I am, I
"just say no". Is there a reason an XC rider would want bigger tires?
More traction, more stability? I always figured bigger tires were for
primarily big hit/DH riders. Do bigger tires contribute more to trail
erosion, or only if skidded?

care to elaborate, any one?

penny

What size tires do you use now?

--
- Zilla
Cary, NC

Old July 11th 04, 11:13 PM
Per Löwdin

care to elaborate, any one?

You get more rubber on the ground, in technical sections where you depend on
friction you simply have more of it, e.g., rockgardens. On lose muddy trails
you sink down less. Going on wooden plank bridges
http://www.lowdin.nu/Mtbruntuppsala/...nsenled11e.JPG wide tires
makes it less likely that you slip between the planks and get stuck with
your wheel. We have a lot of those where we ride in Sweden so we always use
2.1" tires.
http://www.lowdin.nu/Mtbruntuppsala/.../lunsenl3c.jpg
http://www.lowdin.nu/Mtbruntuppsala/.../lunsenl28.jpg

Per

Old July 11th 04, 11:36 PM
Slacker

pas wrote:
educate me, discuss or call me an idiot, doesn't matter ;-)

What's the deal with different tire sizes? Tuff grrl keeps telling I should
go bigger, but being the weight weenie and cheapskate I am, I "just say no".
Is there a reason an XC rider would want bigger tires? More traction, more
stability? I always figured bigger tires were for primarily big hit/DH
riders. Do bigger tires contribute more to trail erosion, or only if
skidded?

care to elaborate, any one?

penny

They're definitely not only for big hit or DH. As Per already explained,
more contact area, which is great not only going DH over rougher terrain
, but climbing up techy stuff too. They just roll over stuff easier.

Of course the downside is the weight. Also, more importantly than size
is the tread and sidewall stiffness. Give me a narrower, stiff side
walled, good knobby designed tire over a wide flexy, crappy tread one
any day.

--
Slacker
Old July 12th 04, 12:50 AM
ZeeExSixAre

Of course the downside is the weight. Also, more importantly than size
is the tread and sidewall stiffness. Give me a narrower, stiff side
walled, good knobby designed tire over a wide flexy, crappy tread one
any day.

Pliable sidewalls = less rolling resistance.

Here we go...

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old July 12th 04, 01:00 AM
Slacker

ZeeExSixAre wrote:
Of course the downside is the weight. Also, more importantly than size
is the tread and sidewall stiffness. Give me a narrower, stiff side
walled, good knobby designed tire over a wide flexy, crappy tread one
any day.

Pliable sidewalls = less rolling resistance.

Here we go...

Stiff sidewalls = better handling

Who cares about rolling resistance if they fold on you?

Slacker - off to the races ;-)

Old July 12th 04, 01:19 AM
pas

Zilla wrote:

What size tires do you use now?

pas wrote:

2.10

IRC serac on the front, Michelin Hot S on the back.
I guess I haven't been paying much attention to tires. I've been gifted with
lots of new ones (thanks you know who you are...) and so for what I've
noticed about tires is, "worn" or "new". I've experimenting with less tire
pressure, and boy does that sure change the ride from #40 psi. Maybe I
should pay more attention to tire type/size/tread?

penny

Old July 12th 04, 05:53 AM
Dean A. Stepper

I vote for wide large volume tires. But I do weigh 220lbs and don't speed
much time worrying about my bikes weight. Fixing flats and bike repairs on
the trail are more of a priority. Current bike about 30lbs.

I used Panaracer XC Pro 2.1 for a my first year riding and they seemed to
work good for So-Cal riding.

When a brought my 5-spot, 18 months ago, I started with 2.35 IRC Trailbears.
I could run them at low pressure (28-30lbs) and not get pinch flats. They
are slow on the flats, but climb well and feel good downhill.

I am now running a 2.5 WTB Weirwolf Race on the front and a 2.5 IRC
Trailbear on the rear...28lbs in front, 30lbs in back. In my experience
descending steep loose stuff is not as scary with wide tires and low
pressure, they don't break loose as easy in heavy braking.

Was up in Big Bear, CA. today and caught the sleeve of my jersey on a
branch. Pulled my handlebars to the right in very sandy trail and when over
the bars, landing on the back of my head and left shoulder. My riding buddy
could hear my helmet cracking and it was so noticeable that I was conscience
of the noise even before coming to a stop. For me, when things go wrong it
happen so fast that it feels like a blackout. I have been OTB about 5-6
times and each time I have avoided face plant by rolling with it. I have
engrain in my head not to put my hands to stop the fall. This was the first
OTB on flat ground, all others were downhill and not having my weight back.

Old July 12th 04, 09:46 AM
bomba

pas wrote:

educate me, discuss or call me an idiot, doesn't matter ;-)

What's the deal with different tire sizes? Tuff grrl keeps telling I should
go bigger, but being the weight weenie and cheapskate I am, I "just say no".
Is there a reason an XC rider would want bigger tires? More traction, more
stability? I always figured bigger tires were for primarily big hit/DH
riders. Do bigger tires contribute more to trail erosion, or only if
skidded?

care to elaborate, any one?

Bigger tyre pros: more cushioning, increased grip
Bigger tyre cons: increased rolling resistance, increased weight

You already ride a full bouncer, so the cushioning benefits are pretty
much negated right there. It's therefore a trade-off between increased
grip against increased rolling weight and rolling resistance.

My personal opinion is that grip is far more influenced by body position
and proper weighting than tyre properties. I view the odd section where I
have to get off and hike as an acceptable trade off to being able to
ride longer and with less effort. YMMV, depending on the terrain and type
of riding you do.

Studded tires R Christensen General 2 January 27th 04 05:40 PM
bike stability and 32c tires Jack Murphy General 1 December 10th 03 06:19 AM
fatter tires? Mark J. Rosen Mountain Biking 11 December 4th 03 02:45 PM
Couple questions about bike tires Dan Musicant General 19 July 24th 03 09:56 PM
Couple questions about bike tires Dan Musicant General 3 July 18th 03 08:18 PM