E-Bikes

Old October 26th 20, 07:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

Default E-Bikes

I just went over to San Francisco and got a set of handlebars. I was completely lost since I had the idea that the guy lived over in the Marina District. The Maps program led me to where I was supposed to meet him and I got there really early since the commute crowd all is around 6-7 these days. So my trip took about 23 minutes instead of 1:30 as I imagined.

While I was waiting for this guy to turn up at his work I noticed quite a few E-bikes passing by on the main drag and they were ALL going at least at the car speed limit, maybe more. I think that someone here said that you could remove the speed regulator and go the limit of the electric motor power.. Well, everyone must be doing that. And getting huge battery packs as well..

While I was standing around I also realized that I knew where I was. It was on the same route that I normally take when I ride around the bay and end up in San Francisco where I take BART back across the bay.

Queer things going on in San Francisco now - everyone is scared to death of everyone else. Here we are out in the open with a strong wind blowing and the sun shining making it virtually impossible to catch covid-19 even if you were liable. But some baby sitters with about 20 your children in tow were taking them on some sort of field trip and they wouldn't pass me until I stepped out into the street. All little children wearing masks. There was a back hoe down the block working on what is now an empty lot but used to be a freight dock. He was wearing a mask. I got a cup of the world's worse coffee at some shop down the street after I contacted the guy who was selling the Bontrager handlebars and he said I was early and he would be 25 minutes. The people inside a large coffee shop didn't allow any inside seating and there wasn't any room outside for a bench.

There was a rather high end apartment complex and there were NO rooms rented out (well three in a three story building 8 rooms deep in each direction) Posted on a telephone pole was a poster for a moving company (have van will travel) Almost all of the telephone tags were torn off. People are leaving California. They aren't going to Oregon nor Washington. Those people are moving out as well. California NOW doesn't have enough people working to pay the pensions of the government workers they have so they are now drawing down pensions savings. I wonder how long before they are forced to declare bankruptcy?

Old October 26th 20, 08:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 10/26/2020 3:46 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:

There was a rather high end apartment complex and there were NO rooms rented out (well three in a three story building 8 rooms deep in each direction) Posted on a telephone pole was a poster for a moving company (have van will travel) Almost all of the telephone tags were torn off. People are leaving California. They aren't going to Oregon nor Washington. Those people are moving out as well. California NOW doesn't have enough people working to pay the pensions of the government workers they have so they are now drawing down pensions savings. I wonder how long before they are forced to declare bankruptcy?

You need to stop complaining and just get out of that hell hole.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old October 26th 20, 09:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, October 26, 2020 at 2:46:20 PM UTC-5, wrote:

There was a rather high end apartment complex and there were NO rooms rented out (well three in a three story building 8 rooms deep in each direction)

How can you tell the occupancy rate of an apartment building just by looking at it? I have several apartment buildings within walking distance of my house. When I walk by them they look full. Lots of cars in the parking lot. But...I don't know if the buildings are 100% or 90% or 80% or 70% or 60% full. The parking lots are probably designed to have more space than possible renters. And I don't count the number of empty parking spots and then calculate the time of day and whether the people living here commute by bus, walking, bicycle, or work nights or evenings or days and then do lots of other calculations to determine what percent of apartment rooms are empty or filled based on the parking lot number of cars. And I did not look in the windows of all the ground floor units and climb the outside of the buildings to peer into the second and third floor units to see if there was furniture in the apartments. For all six buildings. Get an accurate count.

As for people wearing masks when you obviously are so against the act. People fortunately have gotten accustomed to wearing masks and do so when out and about. It helps protect the wearer and even more so anyone who is around the person so they are not contaminated from spit and breathe.

As for people moving out of California, probably so. I see internet articles about states gaining and losing population. California is usually on the negative list. But I watch these cable TV shows where people sell real estate in California and they seem to sell houses really fast. So there are apparently still some people in California. Based on the selling prices of houses I wonder how anyone can afford to live in California. But somehow they do.
Old October 26th 20, 11:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

On Monday, October 26, 2020 at 2:54:03 PM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

This upscale apartment building was all glass fronts. They didn't have any curtains and you could see they were unoccupied.
Old October 27th 20, 12:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, October 26, 2020 at 4:17:40 PM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

You can make up any story you want for why those apartments were empty, assuming they were. No occupancy permits, Chinese drywall removal, bed bugs -- ghosts. Maybe they were afraid of giant octopus attacks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJqX...l=poster4today

SF currently has the highest rents in the US. https://tinyurl.com/y3fgk25b If everyone was leaving, rents would soften more than they are. Rent concessions are up in SF, but that doesn't indicate an exodus. http://zillow.mediaroom.com/2020-09-...Market-Softens It indicates a somewhat cooling market which could be driven by a lot of factors, including increased housing supply or cheaper markets nearby. Moreover, an exodus would be grossly visible. You would see units empty all over the city and the usual signs of a bad rental market, e.g. https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20200907.html Rents would be tanking. I think you just saw some empty units and created a narrative that suits you.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old October 27th 20, 12:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Mon, 26 Oct 2020 17:44:28 -0700, jbeattie wrote:

SF currently has the highest rents in the US.
https://tinyurl.com/y3fgk25b If everyone was leaving, rents would
soften more than they are. Rent concessions are up in SF, but that
doesn't indicate an exodus.
http://zillow.mediaroom.com/2020-09-...s-on-the-Rise-

as-Rental-Market-Softens

I wonder if there is a significant number people who can now work
remotely?
I've read that some people have taken the opportunity to move out of SF
as they can now work remotely, so they look for cheaper rent elsewhere,
plus less crowded and safer. Nothing like the opportunity to take
advantage of a few years of cheaper rent.

P.S. Did Tommy see that building that is sinking/topling? Apparently
insufficient pilling/fondations when built.
Old October 27th 20, 04:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 10/26/2020 5:56 PM, news18 wrote:
On Mon, 26 Oct 2020 17:44:28 -0700, jbeattie wrote:

SF currently has the highest rents in the US.
https://tinyurl.com/y3fgk25b If everyone was leaving, rents would
soften more than they are. Rent concessions are up in SF, but that
doesn't indicate an exodus.
http://zillow.mediaroom.com/2020-09-...s-on-the-Rise-

as-Rental-Market-Softens

I wonder if there is a significant number people who can now work
remotely?
I've read that some people have taken the opportunity to move out of SF
as they can now work remotely, so they look for cheaper rent elsewhere,
plus less crowded and safer. Nothing like the opportunity to take
advantage of a few years of cheaper rent.

P.S. Did Tommy see that building that is sinking/topling? Apparently
insufficient pilling/fondations when built.

The exodus of renters from the Bay Area is driving down rents. But
for-sale housing is still doing very well, and a lot of those former
renters are buying houses in outlying areas because they are able to
work remotely and many companies have said that they can continue to do
so even after the pandemic is over. It's a big saving in commercial
office space rent as well. The MTC (Metropolitan Transportation
Commission) for the Bay Area counties recently said that they want to
require 60% remote-working. This caused the mayors of San Francisco and
San Jose to go non-linear
https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/mayors-of-sf-sj-push-back-on-parts-of-bay-area-climate-plan/2380797/.

Old October 27th 20, 02:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, October 26, 2020 at 9:25:19 PM UTC-7, sms wrote:
[...]

Probably pushed by Blackstone or CBRE Group. I'd be pretty worried if I were in commercial office real estate in SF. One of my riding buddies is the CFO of a San Francisco based consumer product company that just walked away from a lease of very expensive space downtown because management learned that everyone could work from home. One of my insurance company clients is closing two business-park office buildings at different locations in California. It just calculated the rent penalty, paid and walked from five or ten year leases. Retail is suffering because of shut-downs, but it will come back -- one hopes. Office space is going to get cheaper. We have a full floor of an office tower and don't need it now, but we're locked in and the new owners aren't interested in negotiating -- which doesn't make sense since they're flipping the building and should want to avoid vacancies. https://www.wellsfargocenterportland.com/

-- Jay Beattie.

Old October 27th 20, 02:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

On Tuesday, October 27, 2020 at 7:04:43 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

So, according to Jay, Those glass fronted Apartments NONE of which faced the bay because just 6 months ago the bay side of those apartments would face old broken down shipping docks, are filled by people who have no furniture, no drapes, no effects of any kind that would be visible and the three apartments that do have these things are simply rented by exhibitionists. Office space in San Francisco isn't being lost to people working from home but from entire companies and their staff moving to Texas. My friend and a group was returning from a 40 mile ride in Phoenix when they saw a commotion up ahead. It turned out that this was the route that Trump was going to use to a Rally and thousands and thousands of people were lining the route wearing maga hats and waving flags. He says for every Biden sign in front of a home there are 40 Trump signs. This must be why the Lame stream Media is saying that Biden is ahead in Arizona. Perhaps Jay would do better representing people that know their asses from a hole in the ground.
Old October 27th 20, 03:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Tuesday, October 27, 2020 at 7:42:08 AM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

Perhaps you should move from your San Leandro ****-hole to Phoenix and be with your MAGA homeboys. You are a Trump sycophant. Its pathetic.

One more time with emphasis: the mere fact that you saw vacant rental units tells you nothing about why they were vacant. Did the tenants go to Texas? Phoenix? Who knows.

Data shows softening in SF. Companies that are not reliant on the Bay Area work-force will move to less expensive markets. Work from home is affecting the commercial market. With softening, time on market for rental units will extend and result in rent concessions. That's what's happening in SF -- but even with concessions and softening, rents are still the highest in the US, and too high by a lot of metrics. Predictions are for more softening due to COVID and other economic factors -- but not because people are moving en masse to Phoenix so they can attend Trump rallies. Phoenix is soul sucking. https://tinyurl.com/y347z6ek Gak. Urban sprawl, and you can't ride after 7:00 AM half the year because it is too hot. But do feel free to move there.

-- Jay Beattie.