Handlebar bags

Old October 22nd 20, 04:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Handlebar bags

Handlebar bags: Some of us like them.

For some reasons, see "My PBP Bike: Rack and Bag" at
https://www.renehersecycles.com/journal/

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old October 22nd 20, 05:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

On Thursday, October 22, 2020 at 8:28:04 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
Handlebar bags: Some of us like them.

For some reasons, see "My PBP Bike: Rack and Bag" at
https://www.renehersecycles.com/journal/

I used to have a bag just like that so I guess you'll have to change your mind (if you'll excuse the expression) and hate them forever more.
Old October 22nd 20, 05:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

Op donderdag 22 oktober 2020 om 17:28:04 UTC+2 schreef Frank Krygowski:
Handlebar bags: Some of us like them.

For some reasons, see "My PBP Bike: Rack and Bag" at
https://www.renehersecycles.com/journal/

--
- Frank Krygowski

I'm not convinced what is claimed.

Lou
Old October 22nd 20, 06:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Thursday, 22 October 2020 12:25:10 UTC-4, Lou Holtman wrote:
Op donderdag 22 oktober 2020 om 17:28:04 UTC+2 schreef Frank Krygowski:
Handlebar bags: Some of us like them.

For some reasons, see "My PBP Bike: Rack and Bag" at
https://www.renehersecycles.com/journal/

--
- Frank Krygowski

I'm not convinced what is claimed.

Lou

I fail to see how a non-aero handlebar bag that goes from the top of the front wheel to the handlebar can be described as acting like a fairing. I think that it'd create drag not reduce it.

He also says that handling is better with a handlebar bag than it'd be with the same size bag behind or attached to the saddle. I disagree with that too based on my experiences.

Cheers
Old October 22nd 20, 06:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

On Thursday, October 22, 2020 at 10:14:35 AM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Thursday, 22 October 2020 12:25:10 UTC-4, Lou Holtman wrote:
Op donderdag 22 oktober 2020 om 17:28:04 UTC+2 schreef Frank Krygowski:
Handlebar bags: Some of us like them.

For some reasons, see "My PBP Bike: Rack and Bag" at
https://www.renehersecycles.com/journal/

--
- Frank Krygowski

I'm not convinced what is claimed.

Lou

I fail to see how a non-aero handlebar bag that goes from the top of the front wheel to the handlebar can be described as acting like a fairing. I think that it'd create drag not reduce it.

He also says that handling is better with a handlebar bag than it'd be with the same size bag behind or attached to the saddle. I disagree with that too based on my experiences.

Cheers

You and Lou have good reason to be doubtful. The load in the bag continually shifts around and steers the bike around quite a bit. I don't remember it increasing my downhill speed by any noticeable amount so the fairing crap is a myth.
Old October 22nd 20, 08:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 10/22/2020 1:23 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

I once, on a long tour, had a problem with shifting loads in my
handlebar bag affecting handling. It caused a shimmy at a certain speed.
Rearranging the bag's contents fixed it.

About the aero effect: I certainly have never perceived any aero
detriment, and mine may be part of the reason I've usually outcoasted
others in my club, including people heavier than I am. That's despite
running fenders and non-aero wheels. (But technique probably plays a
part as well.)

All my current handlebar bags are quite rigid in both shape and
mounting. And the two on my most-used single bikes are aero shaped,
designed and built by me.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old October 22nd 20, 11:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Thu, 22 Oct 2020 11:27:59 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

Handlebar bags: Some of us like them.

For some reasons, see "My PBP Bike: Rack and Bag" at
https://www.renehersecycles.com/journal/

Strange aerodynamics as the writer states that the bag makes him
"consistently 2-4 mph faster on the steep downhills", but apparently
not at other times??
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old October 23rd 20, 05:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

wrote:

Handlebar bags: Some of us like them.

For some reasons, see "My PBP Bike: Rack and Bag" at
https://www.renehersecycles.com/journal/

Strange aerodynamics as the writer states that the bag makes him
"consistently 2-4 mph faster on the steep downhills", but apparently not
at other times??

Weird, but perhaps he can tuck all his appendages into its the slipp
stream left by the 'cubic' handlebar bag and take better advantage of the
effect of gravity.

Old October 23rd 20, 07:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Thursday, October 22, 2020 at 4:28:04 PM UTC+1, Frank Krygowski wrote:
Handlebar bags: Some of us like them.

For some reasons, see "My PBP Bike: Rack and Bag" at
https://www.renehersecycles.com/journal/

--
- Frank Krygowski

It's wishful thinking. Actually, there is one position where the bag might have some aero-effect, and it is the position Franki-boy's champion ignoramus assures us it would have no effect -- and where Ridealot tells us experience is it works. That's behind the saddle, where the bluff sides of the bag would form a sort of Kamm tail to shortcut the turbulence of the passage of the cyclist and his bike, which translates directly into reduced drag. See the work of Professor Kamm between the big wars, and the graphic of both my Lancia Fulvia (the Zagato Kammback and the standard factory 3-box coupe) at speed with the skeins of wool streaming behind it in my Building Special Cars (Batsford, London and Robert Bentley, Boston are the most accessible editions).

Andre Jute
Sleek & sophisticated
Old October 23rd 20, 01:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

Andre Jute wrote:
On Thursday, October 22, 2020, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Would you like to comment on this classic?
https://drivetribe.com/p/in-1998-luigi-colani-presented-CVoUYr2pRvymeEWJfOj2fg

Or this one?
https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Schauff-Fahrrad,_Prototyp_Colani_(2019-10-07_Sp).jpg

Handlebar,under seat and rck top bags $7 each Donald ORourke[_2_] Marketplace 0 April 28th 09 10:00 PM
Bags .. BAGS ... BaGs ... STorage ,, seat/handlebar/etc etc question Sir Thomas of Cannondale General 4 October 27th 07 06:06 PM
Ortlieb handlebar bags pppeterrr UK 5 February 15th 07 02:10 PM
Quick release handlebar bags bo-ku General 17 June 23rd 05 09:23 PM
Handlebar Bags Tom Techniques 11 May 14th 05 02:32 PM