(Age article) Daily commute an easy ride...

Old June 5th 06, 09:33 PM posted to aus.bicycle

Default (Age article) Daily commute an easy ride...

Bike craze hits top gear

Email
Print
Normal font
Large font
Stephen Moynihan
June 6, 2006

Stealing a march: cyclists glide past traffic on Princes Bridge. With
petrol prices soaring, bikes have become "the water cooler topic of
2006".
Photo: Andrew de la Rue
AdvertisementAdvertisement
IT MAY be the winter of discontent for many Melburnians, but for those
who travel on two wheels it's anything but.

The city is in the middle of a cycling boom as commuters take to two
wheels for their daily journey to work, and with the State Government
planning to spend $112 million on bicycling and pedestrian programs in
the next decade.

more at

http://tinyurl.com/errdt

--
flyingdutch

Old June 5th 06, 11:40 PM posted to aus.bicycle

It's great that people are staying on their bikes over winter. It was
damn cold yesterday but I have discovered that I have the right
clothing to stay really warm. My toes were a little on the cold side
but they soon thawed out under a hot shower. This morning as I crossed
Dandenong Rd in Clayton there was a bike heading in each direction. Yay
for bikes everywhere.

--
SuzieB

Old June 6th 06, 12:35 AM posted to aus.bicycle

flyingdutch Wrote:
Bike craze hits top gear

Stealing a march: cyclists glide past traffic on Princes Bridge. With
petrol prices soaring, bikes have become "the water cooler topic of
2006".

Good interview with Heidi M. just before the 9am ABC 774 News regarding
the 'bicycling commuter boom'.

Hey, didn't two erstwhile cyclists prove this a worthly exercise last
year?

http://www.yarrabug.org/2005/11/17/w...ns-my-friends/

http://www.abc.net.au/melbourne/stories/s1512778.htm

Cycling may indeed be a real alternative to driving or PT to get to &
from work, but other road user attitudes still require some
improvement...

--
cfsmtb

Old June 6th 06, 09:38 AM posted to aus.bicycle

I didn't hear it, but my wife told me Mitchell was arguing that all those
extra cyclists must be causing more problems and dangers on the roads.
I bet he goes to town on the collision between the cyclist and Pedestrian in
town (Ch 9 News).....

cfsmtb wrote:

Bike craze hits top gear

Old June 6th 06, 09:40 AM posted to aus.bicycle

SuzieB wrote:
My toes were a little on the cold side but they soon thawed out under
a hot shower.

Hmmm, maybe some lycra booties...
--
Cheers | ~~ __@
Euan | ~~ _-\,
Old June 6th 06, 09:46 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Spoken4 Wrote:
I didn't hear it, but my wife told me Mitchell was arguing that all
those
extra cyclists must be causing more problems and dangers on the roads.
I bet he goes to town on the collision between the cyclist and
Pedestrian in
town (Ch 9 News).....

Caught the end of his rant, something about 'pimples on pumpkins' and
generally crapping on how he believes moto's are dangerous. ie: typical
nonsenscial Mitchell crap.

--
cfsmtb

Old June 6th 06, 02:18 PM posted to aus.bicycle

"Euan" wrote in message
SuzieB wrote:
My toes were a little on the cold side but they soon thawed out under
a hot shower.

Hmmm, maybe some lycra booties...
--
Cheers | ~~ __@
Euan | ~~ _-\,
Melbourne, Australia | ~ (*)/ (*)

I usually find that it's the fingers that hate the cold rather than the
feet. Gloves tend to make me feel overwarm in about 10 minutes though, even
when it's freezing.

Old June 6th 06, 02:33 PM posted to aus.bicycle

On Tue, 6 Jun 2006 23:18:51 +1000, "Resound"
wrote:

I usually find that it's the fingers that hate the cold rather than the
feet. Gloves tend to make me feel overwarm in about 10 minutes though, even
when it's freezing.

Likewise. I'm wearing cheap knit gloves over my fingerless ones.
They are NOT windproof but keep the rain off, and are easy to peel off
and stick in the jersey pockets.