DD accident

Old July 9th 06, 08:01 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jo

Default DD accident

Just heard from husband & son, who are currently riding the Dunwich
Dynamo. Husband (who is a nurse) has had to attend a nasty accident,
probably fatal. I don't know any other details, other than that it was a
cyclist, as they are still riding. I trust nobody here was involved?
Jo
Old July 9th 06, 12:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Jo wrote:
Just heard from husband & son, who are currently riding the Dunwich
Dynamo. Husband (who is a nurse) has had to attend a nasty accident,
probably fatal. I don't know any other details, other than that it was a
cyclist, as they are still riding. I trust nobody here was involved?
Jo

It's just been on BBC Radio - rider killed after a collision with a van
:-(

Old July 9th 06, 12:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Hansen

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/essex/5162602.stm

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Old July 9th 06, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
garryb59

On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 07:01:21 GMT, Jo wrote:

I trust nobody here was involved?

Not directly no, but I was there when it happened.

Specifically, the location was North Weld, Essex, just off from Epping
Forest.

I was at the back of a group of about 30 odd cyclists making there way
out of London, on roads that were becoming pretty quiet, when I heard
a yell, a deep loud thud, another bang, cyclists falling over and then
a child [who appeared to be walking with a guardian of some kind].
screaming in horror as she saw what had happened.

Then obviously a big comotion ensued, people jumping off bikes,
attending to the injured, making phone calls etc.

After a few minutes of standing there being of little use to anybody,
we carried on. As we passed the 'two' people down on the ground, they
were motionless...one obviously killed on impact. The guys drivers-
side windscreen was shattered and there were no other cars around.

Being on recumbents with a lower line of vision than the others we
heard everything and saw nothing or the manner of the impact, so
that's about all I can say I'm afraid. Sadly, there were 30 or so
others that saw much more.

Garry

Old July 9th 06, 06:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jo

garryb59 wrote:
[...]

I have a little more information now. Of the two injured one had fairly
superficial injuries. The other one had multiple severe injuries.My
husband did what he could (as I am sure others did too), and managed to
keep him ventilated, in a fashion, until the ambulance came. He did not
expect him to survive, and sadly was proved to be right.
Jo
Old July 9th 06, 06:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
garryb59

On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 17:19:04 GMT, Jo wrote:

I have a little more information now. Of the two injured one had fairly
superficial injuries. The other one had multiple severe injuries.My
husband did what he could (as I am sure others did too), and managed to
keep him ventilated, in a fashion, until the ambulance came. He did not
expect him to survive, and sadly was proved to be right.

In a truly tradgic situation like this, you want somebody around that
knows what they're doing, and as I stood around and watched those
attending to the injured I was reminded once again how lacking my
emergency knowledge is. It's good he was there - it won't help the
bereaved family, but at least people did what they could.

Garry

Old July 9th 06, 08:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Hansen

On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 17:50:39 GMT someone who may be garryb59
wrote this:-

In a truly tradgic situation like this, you want somebody around that
knows what they're doing, and as I stood around and watched those
attending to the injured I was reminded once again how lacking my
emergency knowledge is.

At the risk of sounding callous, perhaps, in a while, you might like
to consider attending a First Aid course. A variety are on offer
from the Red Cross or your local ambulance society (St John's in
England). The courses are not as horrible as one may think, though
the 1970s film on dealing with someone who has been shot with a
spear gun is not pleasant. The courses are very useful and there is
no obligation to do any more with it, though the voluntary societies
are always looking for trained people to lend a hand at events.
Perhaps the most important thing to remember is that there is very
little wrong with someone who is running around screaming, it is the
quiet ones who are dying.

http://www.redcross.org.uk//standard...69&cachefixer= is the
British Red Cross' courses. A search engine will find the other
societies' courses.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Old July 10th 06, 01:57 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Graeme Dods

David Hansen wrote:
At the risk of sounding callous, perhaps, in a while, you might like
to consider attending a First Aid course.

I may feel different if I was there, but I don't think that sounds
callous at all. In Australia you regularly see adverts from St John
Ambulance for their first aid courses and they are very powerful
(usually appealing to the fear of what could happen to your kids).
Though how effective they are I don't know. They do 2 hour courses on
the basics and I seem to remember similar courses being offered in the
UK. Even if you've done one of these before, it's worth while repeating
them every year or two, mainly to refresh your memory but also to pick
up on new techniques or discredited old ones.

Graeme

Old July 10th 06, 03:34 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mizter T

Jo wrote:

garryb59 wrote:
[...]

I've just read about this on the BBC News website. I'm so sorry to hear
of this news. Indeed I'm sorry to hear of the death of any cyclist in a
road accident.

All those affected shall be in my thoughts.

Old July 10th 06, 08:01 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
david lloyd

wrote in message
ups.com...

Jo wrote:
Just heard from husband & son, who are currently riding the Dunwich
Dynamo. Husband (who is a nurse) has had to attend a nasty accident,
probably fatal. I don't know any other details, other than that it was a
cyclist, as they are still riding. I trust nobody here was involved?
Jo

It's just been on BBC Radio - rider killed after a collision with a van
:-(

I hope you don't think that I mean to criticise, as I need your help on
this, but I think the term 'accident' should be held until the whole
circumstances come to light. I think it should only be used when events are
prooved to be truely accidental, not when some driver has neglected their
responsibility towards the safety of others.

By using the term 'accident' the media are prejudging any investigation. I
believe we should use the term 'incident' and pressurise the media to do the
same.

North Wales incident was called an accident, but the car was later found to
be unroadworthy. The incident on the A6 where the young lad was run down by
a tractor was called an accident, but it turned out that the tractor driver
did not have right of way. These were not just accidents, they were
neglectful acts.

--
Dave Lloyd
So open minded, my brains dribbled out.