Big Mig - honest, dishonest?

Old May 25th 07, 02:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Callistus Valerius

Default Big Mig - honest, dishonest?

My favorite tdf winner is the Big Mig. The fact that he was big (170
lbs), that he used clinchers, he was an averaged sized guy, using regular
stuff, not superlight crap, always made him my favorite. Dope free also,
makes him one of the few legitimate winners. Also, his exit was dignified,
and he always seemed less arrogant than the other riders who have come on
gone since. I don't think there are any Indurain haters even out there.
Wouldn't it be nice, if those kind of riders were again invited back into
the peloton.

Old May 25th 07, 03:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bob Schwartz

Callistus Valerius wrote:
Dope free also, makes him one of the few legitimate winners.

Dumbass,

Salbutamol, 1994.

Bob Schwartz

Old May 25th 07, 04:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Dan Gregory

Bob Schwartz wrote:
Callistus Valerius wrote:
Dope free also, makes him one of the few legitimate winners.

Dumbass,

Salbutamol, 1994.

In which year Riis admits he was using Epo

Old May 25th 07, 04:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bob Schwartz

Dan Gregory wrote:
Bob Schwartz wrote:
Callistus Valerius wrote:
Dope free also, makes him one of the few legitimate winners.

Dumbass,

Salbutamol, 1994.

In which year Riis admits he was using Epo

Gewiss made a ton of progress that year. Just like Telekom would
in following years.

In 1994 I don't believe EPO was a banned substance yet. I'm not
sure when that came, 1996?

Bob Schwartz
Old May 25th 07, 05:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On May 25, 9:35 am, "Callistus Valerius"
wrote:
My favorite tdf winner is the Big Mig. The fact that he was big (170
lbs), that he used clinchers, he was an averaged sized guy, using regular
stuff, not superlight crap, always made him my favorite. Dope free also,
makes him one of the few legitimate winners. Also, his exit was dignified,
and he always seemed less arrogant than the other riders who have come on
gone since. I don't think there are any Indurain haters even out there.
Wouldn't it be nice, if those kind of riders were again invited back into
the peloton.

I always liked the fact that he was closer to ~195 lbs. before his
great transformation into a TdF champ and that he could still climb
very well at that weight. Gave some (false) hope to us fat boys that
climb like bags of cement. Plus, I always admired the fact that he
did his time as a super-domestique in service of Delgado before
becoming a champion.

I too will always think of him as being a dignified patron of the
peleton and-- rightyl or wrongly-- as a clean rider. Perhaps this is
naive but it is how I want to remember him.

Old May 25th 07, 05:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

I too will always think of him as being a dignified patron of the
peleton and-- rightyl or wrongly-- as a clean rider. Perhaps this is
naive but it is how I want to remember him.

Yes, this is naive! Big Mig was a doper; he was once described as
'EPO perfected'. I sure as hell hope no one still believes Pantani
was clean! If they take Riis' title, they should take Pantani's as
well. Should Ullrich admit he doped too that would leave...HOLY ****
BOBBY JULICH AS THE VIRTUAL TdF champion! Considering the scandal
that year and his meteoric crash, I'd Julich was clean. Oh my god my
head's going to explode...........

Seriously, this is one goddamn mess because if anyone deserves to get
busted it was coke head Pantani.

CH

Old May 25th 07, 05:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RonSonic

On 25 May 2007 09:36:57 -0700, "
wrote:

I too will always think of him as being a dignified patron of the
peleton and-- rightyl or wrongly-- as a clean rider. Perhaps this is
naive but it is how I want to remember him.

Yes, this is naive! Big Mig was a doper; he was once described as
'EPO perfected'. I sure as hell hope no one still believes Pantani
was clean! If they take Riis' title, they should take Pantani's as
well. Should Ullrich admit he doped too that would leave...HOLY ****
BOBBY JULICH AS THE VIRTUAL TdF champion! Considering the scandal
that year and his meteoric crash, I'd Julich was clean. Oh my god my
head's going to explode...........

This is why the entire concept of rewriting results is so stupid. If they take
out Riis, who do they replace him with? Someone who we somehow know to be clean?

Dope or not Indurain was great.

Seriously, this is one goddamn mess because if anyone deserves to get
busted it was coke head Pantani.

As I recall he was busted and by a greater authority than cycling can invoke.

Ron
Old May 25th 07, 06:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
B. Lafferty[_2_]

"RonSonic" wrote in message
On 25 May 2007 09:36:57 -0700, "
wrote:

I too will always think of him as being a dignified patron of the
peleton and-- rightyl or wrongly-- as a clean rider. Perhaps this is
naive but it is how I want to remember him.

Yes, this is naive! Big Mig was a doper; he was once described as
'EPO perfected'. I sure as hell hope no one still believes Pantani
was clean! If they take Riis' title, they should take Pantani's as
well. Should Ullrich admit he doped too that would leave...HOLY ****
BOBBY JULICH AS THE VIRTUAL TdF champion! Considering the scandal
that year and his meteoric crash, I'd Julich was clean. Oh my god my
head's going to explode...........

This is why the entire concept of rewriting results is so stupid. If they
take
out Riis, who do they replace him with? Someone who we somehow know to be
clean?

I wonder how you would feel if you raced clean and lost Olympic Gold or the
Tour to a doper. I'd want justice and the medal.

Old May 25th 07, 07:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On May 25, 1:58 pm, "B. Lafferty"
wrote:
"RonSonic" wrote in message

On 25 May 2007 09:36:57 -0700, "
wrote:

[...]

Who can we say was really clean? Eki? Probably. Julich? likely,
too. Hamilton? I think only he and his only mentor still believe.