The incredible bicycle (today's diary rambling)

Old November 5th 07, 01:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Skip

Default The incredible bicycle (today's diary rambling)

"Ted" wrote in message
ps.com...
I am sure Mike has lots of friends who can say the same. Keep up the
good work.

Mike's a "god". A good one. I used to ride with him in high school in the
very early 70's. Nobody better.

- Skip

Old November 5th 07, 01:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mike Jacoubowsky

From my almost-daily-diary (www.ChainReaction.com/dairy.htm), inspired by
yet another wonderful bike ride. As most are. I can't imagine wanting to
live in a world without bikes. For that matter, the scariest thing about
mortality (something you think about after turning 50) is that, at some
point, my cycling capabilities, perhaps even ability to ride whatsoever,
will decline. But I'm ready to accept what comes my way, and if it means
some day I'll be riding on a 3-wheeler to get around the trailer park, so be
it! --MIke--

11/04/07- MOST INCREDIBLE INVENTION EVER? EASY. THE BICYCLE. I was thinking
about that while riding out to Pescadero this morning, cruising along
without much effort about 18-20mph, and suddenly realizing that you're
covering distances and speeds that people compare to what you'd do in a car.
You're not even in the same league as someone on foot, and yet you're using
the same fuel. A couple of cinnamon rolls and two bottles of Cytomax. Not
likely anything more than you would have eaten if you'd taken the same trip
in a car. The efficiency, and thus your capabilities on a bike, are amazing.
Beyond that, really. I've said before that I think we take bikes for
granted; an alien visiting our planet, coming from a world in which bicycles
didn't exist, would likely be blown away at the simplicity, efficiency and
usefulness of a bicycle.

Oh sure, I'm biased because I make a living selling bicycles. But there's a
reason I chose this profession. I simply love the darned things. I can't
think of anything better to be convincing people to buy. The saddest thing,
of course, is when a bike that I've sold sits in the garage, un-used, for
whatever reason. I consider that a failure of the worst sort. After all, how
can I bicycle not be an incredibly infectious thing, capable of changing
lives? What sort of world do we live in that that's not guaranteed to be the
case? I guess that's why I've gotten involved in lobbying efforts, in
Sacramento & DC, trying to make sure we have roads that aren't hostile to
cyclists, and communities that don't unintentionally create barriers to
getting around in anything other than a car. It's long-term stuff, and it's
expensive, but if we don't make the effort now, I might not have any
customers 10 years down the road.

But again, it's all about the bike. This wonderful invention that can cure
so many problems. Fueled by powerbars & even twinkies if you must, both of
which can be presumed far more friendly to our planet than mining, refining
& burning fossil fuels. And the strangest thing about what you eat when
you're out riding, when I think about it, is that you probably would have
eaten more had you not ridden. That's the bizarre thing about exercise; if
you ride hard, it seems to reduce your appetite. So we ride bikes more and
we'll be healthier, create fewer environmental issues, see things we
wouldn't have noticed driving past in a car with the windows rolled up and
the radio on, and help put my kids through school. What's not to like?

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old November 5th 07, 03:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Brian Huntley

On Nov 4, 7:57 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:
From my almost-daily-diary (www.ChainReaction.com/dairy.htm),

Dairy? Is it that cheesy, or la creme de la creme?

http://www.chainreaction.com/diary.htm

Old November 5th 07, 03:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ted

If anyone told me 35 years ago when I was in high school that I would
be able to ride over 100 miles in one day, (and actually be tempted to
ride a little more), or that anyone could, for that matter, I would
have told him he was crazy. But I can, and have done it numerous
times. I took up serious bike riding two years ago and have not
regretted one day. Thank you Ron for selling me my bike. It was the
best thing I have ever purchased. It has changed my life. (I doubt
Ron has ever been on this newsgroup.) I am sure Mike has lots of
friends who can say the same. Keep up the good work.

Ted.

Old November 5th 07, 04:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
David L. Johnson

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
From my almost-daily-diary (www.ChainReaction.com/dairy.htm), inspired by
yet another wonderful bike ride. As most are. I can't imagine wanting to
live in a world without bikes. For that matter, the scariest thing about
mortality (something you think about after turning 50) is that, at some
point, my cycling capabilities, perhaps even ability to ride whatsoever,
will decline.

On that score, rest easy. Barring disease or accident, you have many
cycling years in front of you. Many of my riding buddies are well into
their 60s and 70s, and still keeping up with a group of active
30-year-old riders. I'm 56 and riding more and enjoying it more in the
last 5 years than at any time since I quit racing (1975 was probably my
last race). One guy I ride with from time to time, Jim Eades, is 71 now
(I think) and, while he no longer rides as fast as he did, he still
rides a lot of miles per year -- I'd guess over 10k.

--

David L. Johnson

As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not
certain, and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality.
-- Albert Einstein
Old November 5th 07, 04:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Brian Huntley wrote:
On Nov 4, 7:57 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:
From my almost-daily-diary (www.ChainReaction.com/dairy.htm),

Dairy? Is it that cheesy, or la creme de la creme?

Mike J. is milking his website for all its worth!

When did ignorance of biology become a "family value"?
Old November 5th 07, 05:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Zoot Katz

On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 18:22:43 -0800, Ted wrote:
\
Thank you Ron for selling me my bike. It was the
best thing I have ever purchased. It has changed my life. (I doubt
Ron has ever been on this newsgroup.) I am sure Mike has lots of
friends who can say the same. Keep up the good work.

If bicycling doesn't ignite the "joie de vivre" of your ten-year-old
self then even Mike's or Ron's best efforts will be for naught.

They work to get you on a bike that ignites that spark.

Too often their customers insist to buy bikes against their honest
recommendations and end up with just so much garage clutter.

Mike's passion for bikes, the people riding them and the riding
environment is clearly communicated in his every post.

He is a leader in the revolution.

BIKES RULE!
--
zk
Old November 5th 07, 05:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mike Jacoubowsky

"David L. Johnson" wrote in message
Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
From my almost-daily-diary (www.ChainReaction.com/dairy.htm), inspired by
yet another wonderful bike ride. As most are. I can't imagine wanting to
live in a world without bikes. For that matter, the scariest thing about
mortality (something you think about after turning 50) is that, at some
point, my cycling capabilities, perhaps even ability to ride whatsoever,
will decline.

On that score, rest easy. Barring disease or accident, you have many
cycling years in front of you. Many of my riding buddies are well into
their 60s and 70s, and still keeping up with a group of active 30-year-old
riders. I'm 56 and riding more and enjoying it more in the last 5 years
than at any time since I quit racing (1975 was probably my last race).
One guy I ride with from time to time, Jim Eades, is 71 now (I think) and,
while he no longer rides as fast as he did, he still rides a lot of miles
per year -- I'd guess over 10k.

Lots of local examples for me; Lindsay Crawford, who at one time held the 24
hour record back in the late 70s, is probably in his late 60s and can likely
ride circles around us all. Then there's this Sean guy, as Irish as his name
sounds, who still goes to Ireland every year for a 200k ride, and still
likes to try and take sprints. He's in his mid-70s. I've got a number of
customers who still put in a lot of miles in their 70s.

Old November 5th 07, 05:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Steve Gravrock

From my almost-daily-diary (www.ChainReaction.com/dairy.htm),

Dairy? Is it that cheesy, or la creme de la creme?

Mike J. is milking his website for all its worth!

That's such a cheesy pun.
Old November 5th 07, 05:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Steve Gravrock

On 2007-11-05, Mike McGuire wrote:
Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
From my almost-daily-diary (www.ChainReaction.com/dairy.htm), inspired by
yet another wonderful bike ride. As most are. I can't imagine wanting to
live in a world without bikes. For that matter, the scariest thing about
mortality (something you think about after turning 50) is that, at some
point, my cycling capabilities, perhaps even ability to ride whatsoever,
will decline. But I'm ready to accept what comes my way, and if it means
some day I'll be riding on a 3-wheeler to get around the trailer park, so be
it! --MIke--

It all ends with a walker with drop handlebars.

Ergo or STI?

BBC Video diary. Simon Mason UK 5 May 1st 07 09:41 AM
RR: Double Squish vs Rigid SS - rambling observations Paladin Mountain Biking 16 October 24th 05 02:41 AM
Most confusing bike route (long and rambling) andy gee General 32 September 30th 05 02:39 AM
RR: Many Warringah MTB Singlespeed Open - possibly rambling Parbs Australia 1 April 24th 05 12:06 PM
Wikipedia - Today's featured article - "The Bicycle" hippy Australia 3 March 31st 05 11:25 AM