Just another accident.

Old November 19th 07, 10:16 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven[_2_]

Default Just another accident.

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news...bc4-3a19-47ab-
851e-c005effd1a3b.lpf

A LORRY driver involved in a fatal collision with a cyclist was using a
handsfree mobile phone at the time of the crash, an inquest has heard.

Librarian Mary Scott died from terrible injuries when her bicycle was
struck by the lorry, sending her falling under the wheels.

The 60-year-old, a library supervisor in Histon since 1996, was cycling
near the Rose and Crown pub in the village when the crash happened.

During the inquest, held at Shire Hall in Cambridge, a statement from
Colin
Smith was read. Mr Smith, from Cottenham, was cycling just ahead of the
crash scene.

He said: "I heard a loud bang and a thump behind me. A woman was
screaming
and when I turned around, I saw her being dragged along by the lorry.

I waved at him to stop. I was shocked by what had happened, the woman
had
very bad injuries."

The driver was 54-year-old Robert Field, of Methwold in Norfolk, who was
behind the wheel of a Scania lorry.

Pc Peter Bimson, collision investigator, told the inquest Mr Field was
taking a call on his hands-free mobile phone when the collision took
place.

Pc Bimson said: "Mr Field failed to see the cyclist. The front, near
side
of the vehicle collided with the handlebars. As a result of the
collision,
the cyclist fell under the wheels.

"It seems Mr Field's use of the hands-free mobile phone may have been a
contributory factor in this collision."

Mary Scott, of Bishop Way, Impington, died on June 12 this year at the
Glebe Road and Impington Road crossroads.

A post-mortem examination revealed the cause of death to be serious,
multiple injuries.

Dr Samuel Bass, deputy coroner, said she would have died "almost
instantly". He returned a verdict of accidental death.

A statement from the family, issued shortly after the crash, said: "Mary
was a wonderful mother and granny. She is dearly missed by her two
daughters, four grandchildren and everyone who knew her.

"She lived life to the full and was well known in and around the Histon
area.

"She had many friends from her work in the libraries in the Cambridge
area
and her work in Addenbrooke's Hospital, where she helped out in the
children's wards."

Tony

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has
taken place"
George Bernard Shaw
Old November 19th 07, 12:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
spindrift

On 19 Nov, 10:16, Tony Raven wrote:
[...]

Emma Foa's killer admitted being distracted and was fined £300.

He carelessly turned into and killed a cyclist as he was driving his
lorry.

He's still driving around London.
Old November 19th 07, 01:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Sir Jeremy

On 19 Nov, 12:31, spindrift wrote:
[...]

He's still driving around London.- Hide quoted text -

Gary Green's killer got a suspended sentence and 300 hours community
service. He is still free to cycle around Cornwall.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/7098383.stm
Old November 19th 07, 01:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
spindrift

On 19 Nov, 13:22, Sir Jeremy wrote:
[...]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/c...l/7098383.stm- Hide quoted text -

Did you get a response from Paul Smith Jeremy?

You disappeared from the thread, how was your question about Smith's
qualifications and dishonesty received?
Old November 19th 07, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ekul Namsob

Sir Jeremy wrote:

On 19 Nov, 12:31, spindrift wrote:

Emma Foa's killer admitted being distracted and was fined £300.

He carelessly turned into and killed a cyclist as he was driving his
lorry.

He's still driving around London.

Gary Green's killer got a suspended sentence and 300 hours community
service. He is still free to cycle around Cornwall.

Gary Green's killer had, as I understand it, serious learning
difficulties. Do they let such people drive HGVs?

Cheers,
Luke

exile in Lancashire http://www.shrimper.org.uk

Old November 19th 07, 06:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Sir Jeremy

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/c...98383.stm-Hide quoted text -

Did you get a response from Paul Smith Jeremy?

You disappeared from the thread, how was your question about Smith's
qualifications and dishonesty received?- Hide quoted text -

I'm not about to insult the man by asking him irrelevant and offensive
questions Spinny, I'll leave that to you
Old November 19th 07, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Martin Dann

Sir Jeremy wrote:
On 19 Nov, 13:50, spindrift wrote:
On 19 Nov, 13:22, Sir Jeremy wrote:

Did you get a response from Paul Smith Jeremy?

You disappeared from the thread, how was your question about Smith's
qualifications and dishonesty received?- Hide quoted text -

I'm not about to insult the man by asking him irrelevant and offensive
questions Spinny, I'll leave that to you

If someone claims to be an expert in a field, as Mr Smith does, then
asking that person what he qualifications he has is not irrelevant or
offensive.

If the man truly has relevant qualifications, then he will answer.
Being a "computer engineer" does not make you a road safety expert.

Old November 19th 07, 07:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
spindrift

Smith makes absurdly self-important announcements about life-or-death
road policies.

He claims to be an "engineer" which would lend weight to his claims if
true.

Yet he refuses to discuss professional bodies he belongs to or exams
passed.

Your refusal to examine this speaks volumes for your open mindedness.
Old November 19th 07, 08:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Hansen

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 18:46:40 GMT someone who may be Martin Dann
wrote this:-

If someone claims to be an expert in a field, as Mr Smith does, then
asking that person what he qualifications he has is not irrelevant or
offensive.

Indeed. An expert would be delighted to explain their training and
relevant experience, as it adds to their standing.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

DD accident Jo UK 41 July 14th 06 03:16 PM
Bad Accident [email protected] Racing 9 July 20th 05 06:14 PM
almost and accident woodworking_greg Racing 8 October 15th 04 05:54 PM
my first accident... Adrian Boliston UK 18 September 19th 03 10:40 AM
What to do when in an accident? Adrian Boliston UK 19 September 3rd 03 04:24 PM