Nearly got into an accident

Old December 23rd 08, 02:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Stephen Harding

Default Nearly got into an accident

Frank Krygowski wrote:

There's value in justified negative feedback, as well as positive
feedback. If we don't provide that feedback, we turn society over to
its worst members.

From a theory point of view, I'd agree with you over all.

However, the fact that it seems many people can't handle
negative feedback very well these days, I think it's
largely playing with fire.

Again, the vast majority of people who "do you wrong" on
the road didn't intentionally do so. The negative feedback
has already been done by themselves.

For the small number of people who are clueless, it's a
waste at best (they're clueless!). At worst, the situation
escalates to something dangerous.

I'm not trying to "educate" anyone when I ride my bike.
They ought to know better on their own. If they don't my
efforts (tapping on car, frown, "hey!", etc) are unlikely
to change anything IMHO.

SMH
Old December 23rd 08, 05:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Dec 23, 8:26*am, Stephen Harding wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:
There's value in justified negative feedback, as well as positive
feedback. *If we don't provide that feedback, we turn society over to
its worst members.

*From a theory point of view, I'd agree with you over all.

However, the fact that it seems many people can't handle
negative feedback very well these days, I think it's
largely playing with fire.

Good analogy. And sure enough, I do play with fire from time to
time.

My summer project was to weld up a large set of ornamental railings.
Then there are our campfires, our living room fireplace fires, our gas
stove...

So, as with feedback to strangers: to some it sounds dangerous, but
if well done, it's useful.

Again, the vast majority of people who "do you wrong" on
the road didn't intentionally do so. *The negative feedback
has already been done by themselves.

For the small number of people who are clueless, it's a
waste at best (they're clueless!). *At worst, the situation
escalates to something dangerous.

I'm not trying to "educate" anyone when I ride my bike.
They ought to know better on their own. *If they don't my
efforts (tapping on car, frown, "hey!", etc) are unlikely
to change anything IMHO.

SMH

Ah well. I suppose there's room for your methods as well as my
methods.

If this is an ideal universe, you'll get the non-educable motorists,
and I'll interact only with educable ones.

- Frank Krygowski
Old January 15th 09, 11:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mike

On 21 Dec 2008 19:50:04 GMT, wrote:

It's not possible for a 50 mph car to make a right turn into a side
street in such a way that you cannot avoid a collision.

ROFLMAO. That's headstone quality.

Just another accident. Tony Raven[_2_] UK 16 November 20th 07 11:46 PM
accident Adam Lea UK 16 August 3rd 07 01:39 PM
Almost an accident dannyfrankszzz UK 21 August 25th 06 07:34 PM
DD accident Jo UK 41 July 14th 06 03:16 PM
Car Accident MN Australia 184 September 19th 03 04:19 AM