New Year's Resolution

Old January 14th 19, 05:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default New Year's Resolution

Thursday, 3 January 2019

My resolution for this year is to wear my cleats before the first of
October. Double points if they are the fleece-lined shoes and I need
to wear bread bags over them.

I have, optimistically, been saving bread bags.

Since my walking shoes are sandals, to block the wind I wear newspaper
sleeves over two pairs of socks, and put on a pair of knee hose to
hold them in place. So far this winter I haven't needed foot
windbreakers, but I keep a pair of knee hose in my tool kit and make
sure I have several newspaper sleeves just in case.

The newspaper sleeves have been useful for other things -- when I
found some ripe catnip last fall, putting the twigs I cut off into a
newspaper sleeve kept me from losing any seed on the way home.

Today, I accidentally bought a pile comforter -- a very thick blanket
-- for ninety-nine cents. After rolling it as tightly as I could, I
stuffed one end into a grocery bag. (I carry a bag of bags at all
times; they come in handy for all sorts of things.) Then I needed to
tie the handles together to keep that bag from skinning back as I
stuffed the other end into another bag, but the handles lacked inches
of meeting.

Then I saw a stray newspaper sleeve in my empty pannier. It stretched
rather alarmingly when I pulled fiercely to tighten the grocery bag,
but held, and I tied it in a bow knot.

I didn't un-wrap it when I got home. Weather Underground says that
Saturday will be a good day to ride, and Google Maps says that going
to Aldi by way of the animal shelter will be eleven miles round trip,
which is about right for the third excursion of my come-back.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

It was a good ride. Pity I have no other reason to go to the animal
shelter.

I chickened out of tomorrow's dump tour. I didn't feel like packing
the bike this evening.

J.B.

Old January 15th 19, 04:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Sunday, January 13, 2019 at 8:11:28 PM UTC-8, Joy Beeson wrote:
[...]

Hi Joy.
I always enjoy reading your posts, even if I seldom post replies.

About four years ago I made a New Year's resolution to not make any more New Year's resolutions, since I never did seem to keep them.
I am happy to report that I have successfully kept that resolution ever since.

Pureheart in Aptos

P.S.-I've also enjoyed my visits to your website.
Old March 7th 19, 05:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

On Sun, 13 Jan 2019 23:11:26 -0500, Joy Beeson
wrote:

Thursday, 3 January 2019

My resolution for this year is to wear my cleats before the first of
October. Double points if they are the fleece-lined shoes and I need
to wear bread bags over them.

I have, optimistically, been saving bread bags.

I realized today that I'll never wear my fleece-lined shoes again:
to change into sandals, I'd need to change socks too, and that's a bit
much when one is sitting on a cold iron bench. Better to put on
walking shoes and stay in them.

I do remember peeling off a layer of socks before putting on my
cleats, and putting them back on when I got where I was going. That
was when my metabolism ran a bit faster.

I must have been a bit of a wimp the last twenty years. I'm pretty
sure that today was the first time I've had to deal with a frozen
water-bottle valve since we moved from New York to Indiana.

Perhaps this was because it was my least-favored bottle; it's possible
that I haven't used it in cold weather before. Two better bottles
were in the pannier keeping warm. The bottle itself never froze, and
I was able to clear the valve by closing it and opening it again.

The original plan was to ride to the Chinworth Bridge and come back by
way of Penguin Point (local fast-food chain). But after I'd plowed
through a cold wind to where Rotary Park is going to be, I thought
about the acres and acres of mowed lawn on both sides of Chinworth
Trail, hung a right at the ball park, and went zig-zag to Penguin
Point.

I wanted to say "straight to Penguin Point" but the residential
streets don't allow straight-line riding.

Old March 7th 19, 07:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John B. Slocomb

wrote:

Thursday, 3 January 2019

My resolution for this year is to wear my cleats before the first of
October. Double points if they are the fleece-lined shoes and I need
to wear bread bags over them.

I have, optimistically, been saving bread bags.

I realized today that I'll never wear my fleece-lined shoes again:
to change into sandals, I'd need to change socks too, and that's a bit
much when one is sitting on a cold iron bench. Better to put on
walking shoes and stay in them.

What kind of cleats are you using? I use the Shimano SPD cleats and
you can walk in those shoes. Granted that the shoes are a bit heavy
and the soles are stiff but they are still "walkable".

[...]

Cheers,
John B.

Old March 8th 19, 06:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

On Thu, 07 Mar 2019 13:58:50 +0700, John B. Slocomb
wrote:

What kind of cleats are you using? I use the Shimano SPD cleats and
you can walk in those shoes. Granted that the shoes are a bit heavy
and the soles are stiff but they are still "walkable".

Olde Tyme slot cleats. My main reason for not walking in them is that
I can't have new ones, and it wouldn't take many miles of walking to
wear the cleats off.

I was all gung ho when clipless cleats appeared, and vowed to get that
kind the next time I bought shoes.

But I'd just bought new pedals with replaceable bearings and they
never did wear out.

The last I heard, no clipless pedal works with a pedal that can be
used with ordinary shoes. I presume there are double-sided pedals
with cleat-holders on one side and toe clips on the other, but I
settled *that* way back when my first pair of "touring" shoes wore
out. I thought for a bit about being more careful with the new shoes,
and not walking in them -- and then realized that the best compromise
between walking shoes and riding shoes was to wear one and carry the
other.

I haven't heard of touring shoes for decades. They were stiff-soled
walking shoes with tread on the sole that kept them from sliding out
of the toe clips -- but the tread wasn't very deep, and soon wore off.

Old March 8th 19, 07:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John B. Slocomb

wrote:

[...]

Yes Shimano makes, or has made, at least two models of double sided
pedals that can be used with either cleats or flat shoes. I use them
on my "Bangkok Bike" as in heavy city traffic I prefer not to use
cleats.

Old March 8th 19, 05:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 3/8/2019 12:29 AM, Joy Beeson wrote:

I haven't heard of touring shoes for decades. They were stiff-soled
walking shoes with tread on the sole that kept them from sliding out
of the toe clips -- but the tread wasn't very deep, and soon wore off.

I think touring shoes still exist. These days I think they all come with
areas of the sole that can be cut out to access screw holes for cleats.
In any case, when I'm in cycling shoes, they are Lake brand from many
years ago that fit that description.

I recently noticed my previous touring shoes on a basement shelf. I
think I stopped using them simply because the colors faded, and/or my
wife wanted us to get new matching ones; I forget. In any case, these
would work fine for me and would probably look fine if I could dye them
black or dark brown.

What do you know about dyeing shoes?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old March 8th 19, 11:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John B. Slocomb

https://www.ritdye.com/instructions/how-to-dye-shoes/

--
Cheers,
John B.

Old March 10th 19, 05:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

wrote:

What do you know about dyeing shoes?

Very little. There used to be a shoe polish called "Skuff-Kote" or
some similar spelling that did a good job of changing oxblood shoes to
a uniform brown -- which was a surprise to me; there being no oxblood
shoe polish available, I'd been using brown (in those days one
polished shoes every Saturday night) and it didn't change the color
any, but then they got scuffed . . .

There's a bottle of black shoe dye in the laundry room in the same
sort of bottle Skuff-Kote came in -- a sponge on the top, and you
squeeze it against the shoe a couple of times to make the dye start
coming through, then when you are done you hold it under running water
so the dye won't clog up the sponge. It's meant for touching up scuff
marks and faded spots on black shoes, but I used it on the brown soles
of my black sandals and it worked well. But I have to re-apply it now
and again.

I don't know whether shoe dye is still available.

My can of black shoe polish got put away with the lid loose and was
unusable the next time I wanted it. So I confidently went to Owen's
(Kroger) expecting to see it in the pharmacy aisle next to the Dr.
Scholl's innersoles, and it was gone. Haven't seen shoe polish
anywhere else, either, but I haven't been looking desperately hard
because I still have a can of brown, and that waterproofs black shoes
just fine. Not to mention that going out hasn't been a bit of fun the
last few months.