How to get speeding drivers to slow down.

Old May 11th 09, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
RudiL

Default How to get speeding drivers to slow down.

On 11 May, 17:25, Judith Smith wrote:
On Mon, 11 May 2009 06:50:43 -0700 (PDT), RudiL
wrote:

snip

However I was surprised how relatively few replies there were apart
from the obvious ones from Judith, Thaksin, Nuxx Bar, etc.

Perhaps others also realised it was a ****e idea but thought that it
would be impolite to tell you so.

Honesty on this group is relatively rare.

Actually I suspect it is because most of the people who used to post
here have left for other forums. Anyway as I said I will still
implement my proposal (assuming there is an student who is interested)
and then offer people the chance to use it. Those who wish to will,
those who don't won't.

Rudi
Old May 11th 09, 06:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
judith smith

wrote:

snip

However I was surprised how relatively few replies there were apart
from the obvious ones from Judith, Thaksin, Nuxx Bar, etc.

Perhaps others also realised it was a ****e idea but thought that it
would be impolite to tell you so.

Honesty on this group is relatively rare.

Actually I suspect it is because most of the people who used to post
here have left for other forums. Anyway as I said I will still
implement my proposal (assuming there is an student who is interested)
and then offer people the chance to use it. Those who wish to will,
those who don't won't.

Rudi

Why not get the student to do something useful?

--

"Primary position" the middle of a traffic lane. To take the "primary position" : to ride a bike in the middle of the lane in order to obstruct other road vehicles from overtaking.

A term invented by and used by psycholists and not recognised in the Highway Code.

Highway Code Rule 168 : "Never obstruct drivers who wish to pass."

Old May 11th 09, 06:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Shaun[_2_]

On Mon, 11 May 2009 10:45:28 +0100, "Simon Mason"
wrote:

This works every time. A car coming towards you is obviously speeding and
you, being a responsible law abiding citizen, wish it to slow down lest it
kills someone down the road. All you do is point behind you and shout "speed
trap", then watch as they slam on their brakes and stick to the limit. Some
even thank you!

They can't be going all that fast if they can not only hear you from
inside a moving car, but can take the time to thank you as well......
Old May 11th 09, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

"Judith Smith" wrote in message

I have an interest in cycling.

I have no (or little) interest in motoring.

I have an interest in sociology and the interaction between people

Interesting, so why did you choose to use this NG for your sociology
experiment over all of the 1000's of others? Was it your colleague who said
that there was an interesting strata (sic) of society here and what do you
get out of finding little (sometimes non existent) flaws in people's posts
and going after them like a bulldog?

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

Old May 11th 09, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thaksin

spindrift wrote:
On May 11, 3:00 pm, thaksin wrote:
spindrift wrote:
On May 11, 12:18 pm, "Simon Mason"
wrote:
"spindrift" wrote in message
A Safespeed supporter who recklessly and illegally overtakes and then
threatens a lone female, class!
It puzzles me as to why there are so many pro motoring lobbyists on a
cycling NG; surely they have more than enough forums of their own.
--
Simon Masonhttp://www.simonmason.karoo.net/
I don't mind them , call it the very public exposure of the kind of

I've been reading some of your history. The only borderline sociopath in
this group is the one that looks at you out of the mirror in the
morning, you demented ****. Now FOAD, you posionous little scrote - Hide quoted text -

I have an opinion and can back it up with calm, sourced and referenced
posts.

And where that fails, you can just slag off a widows freshy buried
husband, eh? **** me, you're right, you really are a 'big' man.

I support cyclists and oppose irrational private interest fraudsters
like safespeed, whose supporters' only response is abuse, death
threats, legal threats that come to nothing and swearwords.

Thank you for proving my point so well!

Rational? LOL, I think you've forgotten what Google remembers of you.
Still, like I said before about Glug, what goes around comes around. You
carry right on with your demented agenda, right up until that SMIDSY
makes you nothing but a stain on the floor. A bit like you are now, then
Old May 11th 09, 08:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thaksin

RudiL wrote:
On 11 May, 14:20, "Simon Mason" wrote:
"francis" wrote in message

On 11 May, 12:18, "Simon Mason" wrote:
"spindrift" wrote in message
A Safespeed supporter who recklessly and illegally overtakes and then
threatens a lone female, class!
It puzzles me as to why there are so many pro motoring lobbyists on a
cycling NG; surely they have more than enough forums of their own.
--
Simon Masonhttp://www.simonmason.karoo.net/
Why is it in your oponion that a cyclist can not be pro-motoring.
Is it that you believe that a cyclist can not be a motorist?

I am a motorist myself. I am puzzled though as to why the two most prolific
posters on here are not cyclists themselves and just post anti-cycling
pro-motoring threads. Why do they not stay away from here and subscribe to
motoring newsgroups instead.

--
Simon Masonhttp://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

Yes it is really odd obsessive behaviour.

I've lost count of the armchair psychologists in this group of late.
Absolutely every rabid cyclist in this group brings it up every time
they refer disdainfully at the 'cagers' who post here - its become
almost as common a label as 'troll'. It'd ****ing *amaze* me if but a
single one of these sad ****wits had the remotest understanding of the
conditions they allege with gay abandon.

By the way I have just
discovered the Cycle Chat forum (mentioned in earlier posts). It looks
pretty good and free of Safe Speed madness etc.

"Madness"? Oh, right, so a nice balanced discussion group then? BWAHAHAA
you really are rather pathetic, old son.

*Thousands* of posts
and nearly all to do with cycling and what cyclists experience. No
excessive helmet pushing, although not anti-helmet either. I may
switch. And good advice on primary position and related road
positioning matters. And lots of technical stuff etc etc

Sounds like they need a good dose of reality check, then.

PS I will comment properly soon on the replies to my post about
providing a filtered version of urc. Just been too busy - in essence I
think I'll probably make it an undergraduate final year project taking
on some of the comments made here. It would be a good project for a
student whether or not it gets to be used here.

Its been more than a little while since I was an undergrad, but I'm
sodding sure I remember my lecturer going on about the perils of only
looking for evidence which supports your hypothesis and abandoning all
else. You must have been off that day, then?

However I was surprised how relatively few replies there were apart
from the obvious ones from Judith, Thaksin, Nuxx Bar, etc.

I wonder if the posters you mentioned were among the tiny few who felt
happy to voice an opinion that it was a crap idea, without fear that
they'd be labelled a 'motorist supporter'? Oh no, hang on, that doesn't
fit your preset conclusion, wouldn't it? Better ignore it then, eh? Can
I have a fiver on you getting a lower second? I'd say a Third, but first
degrees have become so diluted nowadays that you seem to get a second
just for spelling your name right, so I guess you'll manage that far...
Old May 11th 09, 08:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thaksin

Sir Jeremy wrote:
On 11 May, 13:21, spindrift wrote:
On May 11, 1:11 pm, Sir Jeremy wrote:

On 11 May, 12:08, spindrift wrote:
A Safespeed supporter who recklessly and illegally overtakes and then
threatens a lone female, class!
Not at all- a safe overtake. She gave me the dickhead sign and I
wanted to ask what her problem was. Nothing threatening- she shouldn't
make rude gestures if she doesn't want to get involved

You admitted you broke the law. You exceeded the speed limit. Did you
child and old person to see if they thought your erratic, aggressive
driving was 'safe'?

Thought not.

Just get out of bed earlier or leave more time for your journey, and
if you habitually get out of your car and approach women on their own
I look forward to you getting a tyre iron wrapped round your skull.

FOAD. I've never had an accident or conviction of any sort in almost
40 years of driving

Dont rise to the ****s bait - this is just the sort of twisting replies
that got the stupid cnut banned from his beloved forums
Old May 11th 09, 09:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TheMgt

Simon Mason wrote:
This works every time. A car coming towards you is obviously speeding
and you, being a responsible law abiding citizen, wish it to slow down
lest it kills someone down the road. All you do is point behind you and
shout "speed trap", then watch as they slam on their brakes and stick to
the limit. Some even thank you!

If I was driving at much of a speed I doubt I'd even notice if a cyclist
across the road and coming the other way gestured at me. I certainly
wouldn't hear them shout anything.

--
){:|:&};:
Old May 12th 09, 09:05 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
judith smith

On Mon, 11 May 2009 19:07:49 +0100, "Simon Mason"
wrote:

"Judith Smith" wrote in message

I have an interest in cycling.

I have no (or little) interest in motoring.

I have an interest in sociology and the interaction between people

Interesting, so why did you choose to use this NG for your sociology
experiment over all of the 1000's of others? Was it your colleague who said
that there was an interesting strata (sic) of society here and what do you
get out of finding little (sometimes non existent) flaws in people's posts
and going after them like a bulldog?

I originally came here with a genuine question.

I was very quickly made aware of the fact that my views were out of
line - and took some of the usual abuse directed at non-regulars (as
per johannes recently)

I did indeed mention some of my observations to a colleague - who
agreed - and hence the bet.

Chapman was particularly vitriolic and made a number of "lies" about
me.

The rest is history (and the present, and the future)

Why did you use the phrase "strata (sic)"

Old May 12th 09, 09:29 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

"Judith Smith" wrote in message

Why did you use the phrase "strata (sic)"

The sentence "there was an interesting strata of society" is incorrect as
strata is the plural of stratum, so the sentence should read "There was an
interesting stratum of society".

Speeding! Unicorn Unicycling 19 September 4th 08 03:14 PM
drivers speeding away nash General 68 February 15th 07 07:13 PM
Another speeding idiot Zog The Undeniable UK 23 January 3rd 05 08:25 PM
Too slow in Italy. How slow? DaveB Australia 2 February 28th 04 10:38 PM
speeding ticket salmoneous General 16 October 18th 03 02:19 AM