Cycle Infrastructure Design

Old November 1st 08, 03:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Luton[_2_]

Default Cycle Infrastructure Design

DfT have come up with a new set of recommendations:

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roads/tpm/ltnotes/ltn208.pdf

which at first sight look remarkably sensible :

At pinch points : "in the absence of a cycle bypass) a minimum gap of 4
metres is recommended unless additional features to significantly reduce
motor vehicle speeds are incorporated"

END marking and the END OF ROUTE sign are often provided unnecessarily.

The CYCLISTS DISMOUNT sign is another overused sign. On a well designed
cycle facility, it is very rarely appropriate.

Now we only have to get traffic engineers to read them !

Regards

Paul

--
CTC Right to Ride Rep. for Richmond upon Thames
Old November 1st 08, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]

Old November 1st 08, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
judith

On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 14:57:35 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
wrote:

Paul Luton wrote:

At pinch points : "in the absence of a cycle bypass) a minimum gap of 4
metres is recommended unless additional features to significantly reduce
motor vehicle speeds are incorporated"

Pinch points are a work of Stan. A 4m wide pinch point is not a pinch
point at all, but if there is a cycle bypass you are faced with an
unappealing choice of using the main carriageway and suffering
occasional harassment or using the bypass and entering a traffic stream
where drivers are not expecting you and will automatically assume
priority even if they do.

I think the best means to reduce vehicle speeds is to stop isolating
drivers from perceiving the people they place at risk - shared space, in
other words. Strict liability would also be a huge plus.

Guy

Hello Guy - who is this "Stan" - one of your mates in the CTC.

Have you got that letter yet?

What about identifying these people you say I have previously lied
about contacting?

--
I encourage my children to wear helmets. (Guy Chapman)
Some evidence shows that helmeted cyclists are more likely to hit
Old November 1st 08, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Colin McKenzie

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
Paul Luton wrote:
At pinch points : "in the absence of a cycle bypass) a minimum gap of 4
metres is recommended unless additional features to significantly reduce
motor vehicle speeds are incorporated"

Pinch points are a work of Stan. A 4m wide pinch point is not a pinch
point at all,

It is if the vehicle trying to overtake is a bus or lorry.

This is what annoys me about this document (which I have read). There's
some really good stuff in section 2 about cyclists' dynamic envelopes,
sensible distances to ride from the kerb, and the amount of clearance to
leave when overtaking a cyclist. Follow that guidance, and at 30mph or
more nothing wider than a motorbike should pass a cyclist in a 4m-wide
gap. For a bus to pass at 30 or more, you'd need 5.05m (table 2.3) and
even this assumes the bus grazes the island.

These dimensions are then ignored throughout the rest of the document,
in favour of figures for which no justification is given.

It appears that the original document has been heavily edited before
release by someone who didn't understand section 2.

Colin McKenzie

--
No-one has ever proved that cycle helmets make cycling any safer at the
population level, and anyway cycling is about as safe per mile as walking.
Old November 1st 08, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Luton[_2_]

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

Paul Luton wrote:

At pinch points : "in the absence of a cycle bypass) a minimum gap of 4
metres is recommended unless additional features to significantly reduce
motor vehicle speeds are incorporated"

Pinch points are a work of Stan. A 4m wide pinch point is not a pinch
point at all,

all to the good then.

but if there is a cycle bypass you are faced with an
unappealing choice of using the main carriageway and suffering
occasional harassment or using the bypass and entering a traffic stream
where drivers are not expecting you and will automatically assume
priority even if they do.

depends on the geometry - a kerb build out could deflect drivers out of
the way. Bypass then give way !!!!@@@@.

I think the best means to reduce vehicle speeds is to stop isolating
drivers from perceiving the people they place at risk - shared space, in
other words. Strict liability would also be a huge plus.

Strict liability first then shared space but this may take a while to
achieve! Until then some decent infrastructure will bet more bums on
saddles.

Paul

--
CTC Right to Ride Rep. for Richmond upon Thames
Old November 1st 08, 09:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]

Colin McKenzie wrote:

Pinch points are a work of Stan. A 4m wide pinch point is not a pinch
point at all,

It is if the vehicle trying to overtake is a bus or lorry.

True, but it's not the buses and lorries whose speed pinch points are
there to regulate. Most PCV and LGV drivers keep to the limits,
especially around towns.

This is what annoys me about this document (which I have read). There's
some really good stuff in section 2 about cyclists' dynamic envelopes,
sensible distances to ride from the kerb, and the amount of clearance to
leave when overtaking a cyclist. Follow that guidance, and at 30mph or
more nothing wider than a motorbike should pass a cyclist in a 4m-wide
gap. For a bus to pass at 30 or more, you'd need 5.05m (table 2.3) and
even this assumes the bus grazes the island.

In Oz, I think it is, the minimum permitted passing distance is 1.5m.
Add that to the 0.5m recommended minimum distance form the kerb and yes
you are getting close to the 4m.

These dimensions are then ignored throughout the rest of the document,
in favour of figures for which no justification is given.

Correct. And so are the minimum recommended widths for cycle
"facilities", with cycle lanes considerably narrower than 0.5m being
found in some places; this will in turn lead to some cyclists being
harassed for failing to ride closer to the kerb than is generally
considered safe.

It appears that the original document has been heavily edited before
release by someone who didn't understand section 2.

Probably the DSA, they have no clue whatsoever about cycling but are
still allowed to write the rules for cyclists in the HC.

Guy
- --
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

** Please see http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/wiki/Troll_code **

GPG sig #3FA3BCDE http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/pgp-public-key.txt
Old November 1st 08, 09:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John[_15_]

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

Strict liability would also be a huge plus.

What is that?

--
John
Old November 1st 08, 09:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]

Old November 1st 08, 10:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John[_15_]

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
John wrote:

Strict liability would also be a huge plus.

What is that?

There's a good description on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strict_liability

Ah, as I thought, the concept from the British common law on tort.

It's the system they have in the Netherlands whereby there is liability
regardless of negligence.

They don't have "common law" there. I guess you are probably confusing
it with their (and much of the rest of Europe's) insurance convention of
providing cover for "no-fault liability", a system where motorists'
insurance companies are expected to part-compensate vulnerable road
users that might suffer loss in a collision involving their insured's
car, up to 100% if the vulnerable road user is a minor. There, like
here, criminal fault has to be proven, based on evidence.

--
John
Old November 1st 08, 10:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
judith

On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 20:08:30 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
wrote:

"PGP protected" **** snipped

Probably the DSA, they have no clue whatsoever about cycling but are
still allowed to write the rules for cyclists in the HC.

Guy

Any chance of identifying where I "previously lied about having
contacted people"