this riding thing

Old April 28th 12, 09:30 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

Default this riding thing

This riding thing is fun when you do it enough to manage the hard
bits.

As the Italian motorcycle has Japanese Electrics Problems, I am
bicycle mounted only.

I'm learning a lot more about the Burwood/Strathfield area, because if
I want something then it has to be cycled to.

I definitely notice the 'bent being heavier than the Brom, and I also
noticed I haven't been riding it as much as the Brom - my 'bent legs
were a bit underpowered! But I gradually remembered how to relax and
use the bum more and all was well.

Biggest hassle on the 'bent is coming up to intersections or
roundabouts and bloody drivers who should have passed in time for me
to keep my momentum up have to slow right down for a stickybeak!
Meaning I have to stop. *******s.

Discovered a weird underpass today. Under the railway line right
near the old Bulldogs stadium. Weird because I have no idea why it
exists. It is wide enough for cars, but isn't usable by them,
bollards and kerbing in the way one side and a mucking great stadium
on the other. I suppose it might have been in use before someone
dumped a football pitch in the way.

It's also alas not that much use. Yeah I can get under that line, but
it's just after the freight and passenger lines split so to get to my
place I still ahve to do the steep (and pinched so cars have to wait
or pass unsafely) trip over the Albert St overpass. BUt continue on
past the underpass and you end up with quite a nice easy run over the
Loch St overpass before the line branch so all was well.

Getting to know your local area is a good thing. Especially in this
bit of Sydney which does rather a lot of the up and down thing. Down
I like, but alas what goes down has to go up eventually....

So has anyone been doing any discovery lately? Anyone even riding
their bloody bikes?

Zebee
Old April 29th 12, 07:00 AM posted to aus.bicycle
John[_24_]

On 2012-04-28, Zebee Johnstone wrote:
This riding thing is fun when you do it enough to manage the hard
bits.

As the Italian motorcycle has Japanese Electrics Problems, I am
bicycle mounted only.

I'm learning a lot more about the Burwood/Strathfield area, because if
I want something then it has to be cycled to.
So has anyone been doing any discovery lately? Anyone even riding
their bloody bikes?

Been doing lots of riding, very little newsgrouping though. I've just
been catching up after a long break from a.b.

Most of my riding is to and from work. The morning ride is always the
same route - the shortest safe one. I do sometimes like to explore on
the way home, when I have a bit more time. As a result I have a much
better knowledge of the area than I would if I commuted by other means.

--
John
"Cycling's enemy is not the car; it is the idiot. And idiots travel by
Old April 30th 12, 02:28 AM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC[_2_]

On 2012-04-28, Zebee Johnstone (aka Bruce)
So has anyone been doing any discovery lately? Anyone even riding
their bloody bikes?

We don't just ride bikes anymore
http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/pol...427-1xpyz.html

Over the long weekend just gone (what, Friday wasn't an official day
off?), I did Bright to Mt Hotham return, Bright to Ovens to Mt Beauty
to Bright, and Bright to Mt Buffalo return back to the bottom of the
hill. 301km all up.

All exploration for me. I've done Mt Buffalo and Mt Hotham on bike
before, but the kind that has either a 496cc or 1185cc engine. Not
owning a car makes it hard to explore such regions on bicycle,
usually. Shall have to return next year.

--
TimC
The path to enlightenment_0.16.5-6 is through apt-get