flat (or dare I say it: hi-riser) bars on my old Paramount

Old January 9th 18, 05:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default flat (or dare I say it: hi-riser) bars on my old Paramount

I am such an old coot that I don't feel comfortable bending down over my drop bars anymore, and I never seem to ride down in the drops. So I am thinking I'd be better off with a moustache or North Road-type bar, or even a hi-riser bar. Of course I'd get called a bike dweeb, but they are already calling me that anyway.

Your thoughts, please?

retroguybilly
Old January 9th 18, 09:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 5:10:33 PM UTC+1, wrote:
I am such an old coot that I don't feel comfortable bending down over my drop bars anymore, and I never seem to ride down in the drops. So I am thinking I'd be better off with a moustache or North Road-type bar, or even a hi-riser bar. Of course I'd get called a bike dweeb, but they are already calling me that anyway.

Your thoughts, please?

retroguybilly

Why do people think that flat bars are more comfortable? They are awful. Just put your drop bars at a higher position maybe combined with a shorter stem so you are comfortable on the hoods and you are done. If you have a good day maybe you can get in the drops in that higher position. Since I have a cross bike with drop bars I rarely take my ATB for off road riding just because the cross bike has drop bars. They are an order of a magnitude more comfortable that flat bars.

Lou
Old January 9th 18, 11:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Turning is body language..

Lookit a package of conversion, longer stem, variable degree bar clamp, ergo trekker upside down covered with foam tubing.

Mustache bars ? Backwards
Old January 10th 18, 01:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Oculus Lights[_2_]

On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 8:10:33 AM UTC-8, wrote:
I am such an old coot that I don't feel comfortable bending down over my drop bars anymore, and I never seem to ride down in the drops. So I am thinking I'd be better off with a moustache or North Road-type bar, or even a hi-riser bar. Of course I'd get called a bike dweeb, but they are already calling me that anyway.

Your thoughts, please?

retroguybilly

Did someone write "old Paramount"?
my thoughts:
Old Paramounts shouldn't get older, they should get the best of retro components with modern upgrades.
Found a '91 in Candy Apple Blue on Craigslist a few years ago, fell back in love with memories of my original one that got bent out of shape when a car hit it and me in '97. This one has been sitting unused in a garage since the mid-nineties, seemingly as if it was put away for me back then to find when the time was right.
Built it back up with take-off parts from a few other bikes. Now its the commuter/ touring bike with SRAM Red crank and rear derailleur, Phil Wood bottom bracket cups, Ritchey WCS alloy stem holding a TTT 199 alloy 40cm handlebar, on a Nimble (remember them?) rear wheel with 10 speed cassette and Ritchey front wheel, both over-engineered alloy wheels compared to higher profit carbon wheels at the same light weights) Reynolds Ouzo Pro -Aero front fork mounted through a Colnago tapered needle bearing headset, Cane Creek brake levers pulling SRAM Force brakes, Bontrager carbon weave reinforced ti-rail seat from a Discovery Team 2006 TDF bike, Easton carbon stem. Kept the original indestructible Shimano 105 front derailleur and downtube shifters with the click detent turned off to allow shifting the 10 speed rear.
Maybe that's a graphic way to say no, imho its defaming to put a wierdo shaped handlebar on an old Paramount. Raise up the bars with an angled stem and spacers on the steerer tube. Maybe go to a wider road bar, like 46cm, to allow wider hand spread and more open shouldered position.
Barry

Bar-ends on riser bars? Basjan Techniques 8 May 6th 06 07:11 AM
Azonic double wall 2" riser bars Bruce Edge Marketplace 0 June 22nd 05 11:06 PM
Why more pain on flat bars than drop bars? Ken General 9 May 13th 05 09:28 PM
FS: mtb riser bars Phil Marketplace 0 July 16th 03 12:18 AM
Riser Bars/Flats.. Phil, Squid-in-Training Mountain Biking 1 July 13th 03 07:17 AM