Touring on a Mongoose Randaneur

Old July 15th 04, 07:34 AM
Phil

Default Touring on a Mongoose Randaneur

I'm think of buying the Mongoose for touring with full camping gear.
Does anyone out there with one care to coment on it's suitability?

Cheers

Philip

Old July 15th 04, 09:07 AM
kingsley

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 16:34:27 +1000, Phil wrote:

I'm think of buying the Mongoose for touring with full camping gear. Does
anyone out there with one care to coment on it's suitability?

The Mongoose Randonneur EX?

See spec.:
http://www.mongoosebikes.com.au/reso...urexreview.pdf

See review:
http://www.australiancyclist.com.au/....php?s=4&a=433

Are you going to use panniers to carry your gear, or a trailer ?

I've never seen one in the flesh, but on paper it looks ok.
Funny it doesn't come with racks, guess you might not want
them if you use a trailer.

I reckon it'd be fairly hard to beat for the price. Nice wheels, being
around 100kg myself, that and gear, and the kids in the trailer,
you want good wheels.

-kt

--
Kingsley Turner,
(mailto: )

Old July 15th 04, 09:42 AM
Comfort Gusset

"Phil" wrote in message
I'm think of buying the Mongoose for touring with full camping gear.
Does anyone out there with one care to coment on it's suitability?

Cheers

Philip

You get what you pay for.

Old July 15th 04, 10:48 AM
Andrew Reddaway

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 16:34:27 +1000, "Phil" wrote:

I'm think of buying the Mongoose for touring with full camping gear.
Does anyone out there with one care to coment on it's suitability?

I use one for commuting. Some thoughts...

- The standard gears don't go low enough for hilly, loaded touring.

- The compact frame means that you'll probably have to use
"extension" brackets to fit a normal rear rack, which might be a bit
weak for heavy loads.

- For greater strength, you'd probably want to get the wheels
re-built by hand. My rear wheel busted a spoke after several months.

- There isn't any micro-adjustment of the brakes, which is a minor
hassle. You can get barrel adjusters fitted though.

- Also, make sure you get one with good brakes (eg Shorty 4's) - the
model a couple of years ago had crap ones.
Old July 16th 04, 04:12 AM
Mike

Phil wrote:
I'm think of buying the Mongoose for touring with full camping gear.
Does anyone out there with one care to coment on it's suitability?

If you really want drop-bars and STI gear shifters, it looks like good
value.
But the gearing is way too high for loaded touring. Change the crankset
for a 22-32-44 or similar, as used on mountain bikes.

Alternatively, get a mountain bike with slicks :-)
Old July 18th 04, 04:42 AM
Joel Mayes

On 2004-07-15, Phil wrote:
I'm think of buying the Mongoose for touring with full camping gear.
Does anyone out there with one care to coment on it's suitability?

Cheers

I've done a fair amount of touring on mine and it's good, brakes are a
bit weak but not to bad, had some problems getting the front derailer
adjusted properly, but otherwise no real mechanical issues.

--
| Joel Mayes | /~\ ASCII Ribbon campaign
| Accordionist | \_/ stop HTML mail and news
| Musician | / \
| Music Teacher |
Old July 18th 04, 12:39 PM
adam

"Phil" wrote in message
I'm think of buying the Mongoose for touring with full camping gear.
Does anyone out there with one care to coment on it's suitability?

They are fine for fully loaded touring and pretty good value I think.
I bought one and took it on a 6 weeks tour in France last year and it
was great, not a single mechanical problem. I bought front and rear
racks and panniers and a handlebar bag. I did change the gearing
however, upgrading to ultegra 9 speed with a 12-34 cassette instead
of the 12-30 that came standard. The rear derailleur had no problem
shifting this. This gearing was fine for me even up L'Alpe Duez and Mont
Vontoux, but I did these climbs without luggage.

Also the tektro front brake was crap so I put on an Avid shorty caliper.
Better power but they squealed badly until I toed the pads out (not in).
Strange but it worked.

I see the newer EX model has 9 speed tiagra (but still only a 30 rear
cassette) and Avid shorty front brakes. I'm sure a bike shop would swap
the rear cassette for next to nothing to make a sale. Also make sure the
front forks have the rivnut in the forks for bolting on a front rack. Mine
didn't for some reason and I had to send the forks back for this.

Adam

Old July 21st 04, 02:03 AM
Phil

Thanks for all the replys.

Philip
"kingsley" wrote in message
newsan.2004.07.15.08.07.02.473727@maddogsbreakfa st.com.au...
[...]

FS $150, 58cm true touring bike Michael Vosk Marketplace 1 July 23rd 04 12:21 AM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM
Another Questions - -Mongoose DXR - vs XR-100 [email protected] General 1 July 12th 03 12:34 AM