Bike weight=Rider weight

Old August 12th 06, 09:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Penster

Default Bike weight=Rider weight

If I lose 1lb in weight by eating salad and not burgers, is that the same as
spending $$$ on lightweight components to make my bike 1lb lighter?
Mick

Old August 12th 06, 09:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman

Penster wrote:

If I lose 1lb in weight by eating salad and not burgers, is that the same as
spending $$$ on lightweight components to make my bike 1lb lighter?
Mick

Of course not ;-)

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu
Old August 12th 06, 11:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Kinky Cowboy

On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 08:26:41 GMT, "Penster" wrote:

If I lose 1lb in weight by eating salad and not burgers, is that the same as
spending $$$ on lightweight components to make my bike 1lb lighter?
Mick

No, it's better, assuming you're currently overweight and your diet
regime doesn't affect your strength. Both your bike an your fat arse
need to be hauled up hills, but your arse is also consuming energy all
the while to maintain the excess tissue.

Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included
May contain traces of nuts
Your milage may vary

Old August 12th 06, 12:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Penster wrote:
If I lose 1lb in weight by eating salad and not burgers, is that the same as
spending $$$ on lightweight components to make my bike 1lb lighter?
Mick

Unless you wear it out or crash, the pound off the bike stays off. Odds
are, the pound you lose off your body will come back.

Old August 12th 06, 01:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

Penster wrote:
If I lose 1lb in weight by eating salad and not burgers, is that the same as
spending $$$ on lightweight components to make my bike 1lb lighter?
Mick

Nice troll but yes with the added benefit of you being healthier-

Old August 12th 06, 01:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Barnard Frederick

Penster says...

If I lose 1lb in weight by eating salad and not burgers, is that the same as
spending $$$ on lightweight components to make my bike 1lb lighter?
Mick

Losing rotating weight (wheels, tires, cranks, pedals) is more
important, but other than that, it's about the same.
Old August 12th 06, 03:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
sally

"Penster" wrote in
:
If I lose 1lb in weight by eating salad and not burgers, is that the
same as spending $$$ on lightweight components to make my bike 1lb
lighter? Mick

Depends on your definitionof "better". Also depends on which 1 pound of
body weight you lost. If part of your weight loss is muscle or blood,
then losing weight off your bike is probably better. If the 1 pound is
pure fat, then that is as good as losing it off your bike.
Old August 12th 06, 04:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark Hickey

"Penster" wrote:

If I lose 1lb in weight by eating salad and not burgers, is that the same as
spending $$$ on lightweight components to make my bike 1lb lighter?

If your riding buddies like to hoist each others' bikes to see who has
the lightest one, then taking the pound off the bike is the way to go.

If your riding buddies are in the habit of hoisting each other to see
who's lost a pound... well, you just need to get new riding buddies.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame
Old August 12th 06, 04:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chris Nelson

Penster wrote:
If I lose 1lb in weight by eating salad and not burgers, is that the same as
spending $$$ on lightweight components to make my bike 1lb lighter?
Mick

No, salad is much cheaper than lightweight components.

Chris

Old August 12th 06, 07:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Barnard Frederick wrote:
Penster says...

If I lose 1lb in weight by eating salad and not burgers, is that the same as
spending $$$ on lightweight components to make my bike 1lb lighter?
Mick

Losing rotating weight (wheels, tires, cranks, pedals) is more
important, but other than that, it's about the same.

Calves and feet rotate too! I am actually surprised at how many people
go nuts on lightweight stuff but ride a round in heavy (relatively
speaking in terms of grams per $ compared to other bike components)
shoes.

Joseph

Bike-friendly cities? cfsmtb Australia 8 July 31st 06 12:23 AM
Control petrol prices [email protected] Australia 9 April 20th 06 09:11 PM
Bike Weight redux Doug Taylor Techniques 100 March 25th 06 10:29 PM
Cycling and vegetarianism Preston Crawford General 434 September 25th 04 09:38 PM
Gels vs Gatorade Ken Techniques 145 August 3rd 04 06:56 PM