combination spanners with different inclinations

Old January 16th 18, 07:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default combination spanners with different inclinations

On 1/15/2018 5:32 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Mon, 15 Jan 2018 21:36:05 +0100, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

Did anyone bother with this for bike mechanics?

I just noticed two of my 10mm combination
spanners have their open ends in
opposite directions.

I suppose this is for clearance and so you can
do the correct "adjustable spanner" pull, even
tho I guess it isn't really necessary as there
are no loose parts anymore.

For such contortions, I recommend an open end crowfoot wrench:
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=open+end+crowfoot+wrench

Those are very useful. You can get a set from Harbor Freight.
https://www.harborfreight.com/7-piece-3-8-eighth-inch-crowfoot-metric-wrench-set-94427.html

Old January 16th 18, 07:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 1/15/2018 5:37 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Mon, 15 Jan 2018 21:45:06 +0100, Emanuel Berg
wrote:
... most of the common 13, 14, and 15mm
sockets are to short to get a hold.

Use a deep well socket:
https://www.google.com/search?q=deep+well+metric+sockets&tbm=isch

The 1/4" drive ones are also a good alternative to a set of nut drivers.
https://www.harborfreight.com/10-pc-14-in-drive-metric-high-visibility-deep-socket-67874.html
Old January 17th 18, 02:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, January 15, 2018 at 9:55:32 PM UTC-8, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 03:51:14 +0100, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

For such contortions, I recommend an open end
crowfoot wrench:
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=open+end+crowfoot+wrench

Yuk! Looks awful!

Well, I could probably find one that's nickel plated. Would that look
less awful?

I hope I never have to
get/use that! Never saw one either so they
cannot be that common.

Quite common among those who want a very compact tool box. All you
need is a ratchet wrench or breaker bar, a small collection of
crowfoot wrench ends, and you have something that will work at almost
any angle without adding extra pounds to your tool kit in duplicated
"handles". They're available in thin wrenches, which are more
suitable for bicycle work, like this Park's pedal wrench:
https://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-Pedal-Wrench-Crow/dp/B00JXNZMMQ

But in the old days, nobody cared about torque values, and collecting giant wrenches was a right of passage. If you had little crowfoot wrenches, you'd get pantsed by the cool kids.

For working on modern bikes, the open-end wrench has gone the way of the dodo. I currently use my old Campagnolo pedal wrench for self defense, although for maximum intimidation, I use my headset press. Spinning the handle hypnotizes my enemies!

I was thinking of stringing up all my old headset, BB and pedal wrenches to make a wind chime, but I'd probably need a noise permit.

BTW, I was perfectly happy with my old open-ended pedal wrench and just guessing at torque. I hate the modern allen pedals and wrenches. Totally inconvenient! It's like putting the zipper-pull for your fly on the inside of your pants. Stupid! Looser!

-- Jay Beattie.

Old January 17th 18, 07:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

jbeattie wrote:

I hate the modern allen pedals and wrenches.
Totally inconvenient!

Tho I don't "hate" them I prefer the open end
wrenches as well. I suppose the torque is
a pretty natural function of the length of the
shaft. Only if you put it into a pipe, that
doesn't apply...

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Old January 17th 18, 05:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

https://www.tekton.com/flex-ratcheti...SABEgIzBfD_BwE

Eg... 6/10

But but but the several here are not reliable...lube...maybe try a Teflon lock oil
Old January 17th 18, 05:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

30 years ago wandering into the F1 car park at Watkins ... surprised all visible fasteners were allens.

Then afters years of dissassociatiin with no tv ... stunned bt the tv's plastic F1 suspensions ...whoa the left front tore off.

Anyone have a miracle lube for ratchet ends or an optimal brand choice ?
Old January 18th 18, 04:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Well, you could also make your own wrenches.
The technique would be similar to making your
own knife. Buy a bar of heat treatable steel
that's the correct thickness:
http://www.onlinemetals.com Trim to shape
with either a band saw or angle grinder.
Refine the shape with an angle grinder, belt
sander or hand file. Make a fancy wooden
handle in the same manner as a custom knife.
Harden and anneal the wrench. Clean up the
slag, oil the wooden handle, make YouTube
video, and you're done.

With programming, one can do a tool which for
the specific purpose is superior to anything
else in the world, be it commercial or free of
charge. (Programming is of course a tool to do
just that, but nevertheless.)

But with mechanical tools, I don't think
I could ever make a tool that is superior to
one which I can get cheaply from Crooks"R"Us.
And if it would be, the difference wouldn't be
one I would notice or one that would motivate
all the time spent on it.

So the only reason to do it would be so I can
be heckled by people dropping smart-ass comments
on YouTube, people who most likely themselves
never made a single tool!

To be able to do your own knives, axes etc.
would sure be cool tho, so no disrespect for
the skill itself...

Old January 18th 18, 04:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 1/17/2018 10:11 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Well, you could also make your own wrenches.
The technique would be similar to making your
own knife. Buy a bar of heat treatable steel
that's the correct thickness:
http://www.onlinemetals.com Trim to shape
with either a band saw or angle grinder.
Refine the shape with an angle grinder, belt
sander or hand file. Make a fancy wooden
handle in the same manner as a custom knife.
Harden and anneal the wrench. Clean up the
slag, oil the wooden handle, make YouTube
video, and you're done.

But with mechanical tools, I don't think
I could ever make a tool that is superior to
one which I can get cheaply from Crooks"R"Us.
And if it would be, the difference wouldn't be
one I would notice or one that would motivate
all the time spent on it.

It depends. I've certainly made tools. Not to duplicate something I
could buy at a store; instead, to get a tool that wasn't available - or
at least, not available in a reasonable time.

I don't recall having to do this for working on a bicycle, but I've done
it several times for other projects. Example: a car I once owned needed
a repair to part of the ventilation and air conditioning system. The
manual said to pull out the entire dashboard to access the bad part. But
an online discussion said a person with small hands could get it out by
pulling only the radio.

My hands are not small, but I was able to make a simple miniature wrench
that could reach the most inaccessible screw. That saved me much trouble
and expense.

Hmm: A bike-related example! It was very easy to make a super-long
screwdriver that allowed me to cannibalize the head from an old Zefal pump.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 18th 18, 04:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

Emanuel Berg wrote:

:With programming, one can do a tool which for
:the specific purpose is superior to anything
:else in the world, be it commercial or free of
:charge. (Programming is of course a tool to do
:just that, but nevertheless.)

:But with mechanical tools, I don't think
:I could ever make a tool that is superior to
ne which I can get cheaply from Crooks"R"Us.
:And if it would be, the difference wouldn't be
ne I would notice or one that would motivate
:all the time spent on it.

You haven't spent much time in a workshop, then.
Shop made tools are nearly universal, to solve unique problems that
come up in that shop. I've made wrenches to fit stuff (out of bar
stock, mostly, but once for a plastic pipe cap, out of plywood), two
pin spanner wrenches, countless presses (including some to use on
bikes), and all sorts of piece holding fixures or templates. I've
modified wrenches (usually grinding them thinner).

--
sig 91
Old January 18th 18, 05:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

David Scheidt wrote:

You haven't spent much time in
a workshop, then.

No, I have only lived in one for the last 2-3
years...

Shop made tools are nearly universal, to
solve unique problems that come up in that
shop. I've made wrenches to fit stuff (out of
bar stock, mostly, but once for a plastic
pipe cap, out of plywood), two pin spanner
wrenches, countless presses (including some
to use on bikes), and all sorts of piece
holding fixures or templates.

Well, wrenches, pin wrenches, and presses are
sure available to buy and not expensive at all.
As for "piece holding fixures or templates"
I don't know what that refers to but if those
are off the market good for you you are able to
produce them yourself.

I've modified wrenches (usually grinding them
thinner).

Yes, modifying tools is very common.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

3 combination points Dan Connelly Racing 1 September 22nd 07 06:18 PM
another shimergo combination geos Techniques 9 April 11th 06 06:14 PM
Wrong spanners!, Gromet Pete Biggs UK 3 April 28th 05 09:52 AM
Bikehut cone spanners Zog The Undeniable UK 0 March 14th 05 08:07 PM
Raleigh headset spanners Toby Techniques 2 September 1st 04 05:59 AM