Case is point!

Old May 11th 07, 08:34 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Case is point!

Update
Plod came around last night to finish taking my statement. It will be
treated as an asult. He has mentioned that he has seen the car around
in a town not far from where it all happened. Its a small town and I
live right by it so I'm going to keep my eyes open and report back if
I see the car. At least it is on the police database now and even
though I know her can't really get 'done' as there were not witnesses,
at least he'll get the message that you shouldn't assume kicking a
cyclist is okay. I'm sure they will also dig up loads of other stuff
from him when they stop him anyway. Sure he isn't the type to have
MOT, insurance etc...

Old May 11th 07, 09:51 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marc Brett

On Thu, 10 May 2007 17:34:18 +0100, Dan Gregory
wrote:

Pete Biggs wrote:
wrote:

On a serious note, should I start carrying some sort of alarm or
pepper spray do you think?

Alarm maybe, but don't carry a weapon. It could easily be grabbed off you
and used against you. This often actually happens, apparently.

Is your bike a weapon see :-
http://youtube.com/watch?v=8H0Pb_qjj6k

The kicker? The assailant was a police officer(!)

Links to the story and unedited footage he
http://www.boingboing.net/2007/05/08..._students.html

Old May 11th 07, 01:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
dkahn400

On May 11, 12:27 am, "Adam Lea" wrote:

Or alternatively, whip the keys out of his ignition and throw them as far as
you can into the most inaccessible place possible, then sprint away.

If I managed to get the keys I'd drop them off at a convenient police
station and let him collect them from there. It proves I have no
intention "permanently to deprive".

--
Dave...

Old May 11th 07, 01:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
dkahn400

On May 11, 8:34 am, wrote:
Update
Plod came around last night to finish taking my statement. It will be
treated as an asult. He has mentioned that he has seen the car around
in a town not far from where it all happened. Its a small town and I
live right by it so I'm going to keep my eyes open and report back if
I see the car. At least it is on the police database now and even
though I know her can't really get 'done' as there were not witnesses,
at least he'll get the message that you shouldn't assume kicking a
cyclist is okay. I'm sure they will also dig up loads of other stuff
from him when they stop him anyway. Sure he isn't the type to have
MOT, insurance etc...

You said he was on false plates so there's enough to get started on
right there.

--
Dave...

Old May 11th 07, 07:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alistair Gunn

dkahn400 twisted the electrons to say:
On May 11, 12:27 am, "Adam Lea" wrote:
Or alternatively, whip the keys out of his ignition and throw them as
far as you can into the most inaccessible place possible, then sprint
away.

If I managed to get the keys I'd drop them off at a convenient police
station and let him collect them from there. It proves I have no
intention "permanently to deprive".

grins That's good, I'll have to remember that ...
Old May 12th 07, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

In article .com,
says...
Thanks for your nice replies.

Have a HUG :-)

I was desperate to see another cyclist
on my way home and have a rant!

So much better to get angry than to get scared.

We may disagree on a lot of issues,
but I have never failed to find sympathy and support from the cycling
community when it is really needed!

Most of us have at some time felt severely threatened by other road
users in one way or another.

My partner was very supportive,
but didn't really get the cycling on the road thing.

Neither does mine, but she's getting used to my little outbursts and I
don't think she still wishes I'd just shut up and slink away.

I shall also bow slightly to the H debaters and admit that in this
case, my H did not stop me from being kicked by an irrate driver! I
will also admit that as my H is very distinctive and I cycle a lot in
the area where a driver is looking out for me, my H may also lead to
my downfall! Might go and buy a new one...and a new top, new bike, new
shorts, new face if possible!

I doubt he'd be looking for you - he sounds more like an idiot than a
psychopath, and he probably has a whole lot more going on in his life if
he generally takes that sort of attitude to people.

On a serious note, should I start carrying some sort of alarm or
pepper spray do you think?

I bet on of those little aerosols of WD40 would sting if it was squirted
in someone's eyes, and if that fails you could use it as a flame
thrower. :-)
Old May 12th 07, 07:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
the.Mark[_2_]

In article ,
says...
[...]

It doesn't throw very far[1] and if the wind is the wrong way as
it usually is when cycling then you'll just get your self.

[1] I tried it once just out of curiosity.
--
Cheers
the.Mark
Old May 12th 07, 08:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TerryJ

I bet on of those little aerosols of WD40 would sting if it was squirted
in someone's eyes, and if that fails you could use it as a flame
thrower. :-)

I have been looking for one of these for some time. They do have a
variety of uses, as you pointed out.Have they stopped making them?
where can I get one?

Do not try the flame thrower thing.You are more likely, after faffing
about getting ready while the attacker looks on quizzically, to set
yourself on fire with the spills and the cloud of solvent around
mainly your arm and face.

I think the more effective technique is firstly to run away screaming
and keep running until you find help.You can always buy another
bike.Probably he will just scarper at this point knowing that he is
about to get into big trouble .If you really need to put him off you
keep your weapon concealed in your pocket or hands while preparing it
for use, but making it obvious that you have something, look straight
at him , point at his chest with your free hand and shout loudly but
without panic ' 'stand still, do not move, keep your hands where I can
see them....etc'' This may give you the few seconds you need to make
your break .Get a mouthful of saliva ready and if the attack comes
then let him have that right in the face as you get your spray up to
his eyes and mouth and be generous with that before breaking away and
running.Ideally he should inhale some. At this point you should not
worry about his health.Next you should remember that he will recover
and be somewhat displeased.If you are alone in the
countryside ......Can you disable him?
I hope to goodness you never need to think like this again , but it is
good to have a plan.I have had to do this , but not in uk.

Old May 12th 07, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
the.Mark[_2_]

[...]

I knew I'd seen it somewhere. This is what is required:
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/gadgets/m...-flamethrower-
with-wd40-and-a-supersoaker-194741.php
or
http://tinyurl.com/pl9vd