loud bell

Old June 15th 07, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ben[_3_]

Default loud bell

I've noticed recently that pedestrians walking along the cycleway don't
hear my bell, even at close range, although they invariably hear the
(much quieter) sound of barely-gripping rubber as I brake hard to come
to a stop behind them. One of them even helpfully commented "where's
your bell?". It is, in point of fact, one of those small ones with a
little flicky rubber hammer thing that goes 'dink'. Can anyone recommend
a louder bell? I don't really like the huge old fashioned type that
spring back slowly, but if they're loud enough then I'll consider them.
Similarly, I'm a bit wary of horns as they may not say 'cyclist' to
pedestrians, but if its loud enough then I'll consider it!
Old June 15th 07, 08:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven[_2_]

Ben wrote on 15/06/2007 19:29 +0100:
I've noticed recently that pedestrians walking along the cycleway don't
hear my bell, even at close range, although they invariably hear the
(much quieter) sound of barely-gripping rubber as I brake hard to come
to a stop behind them. One of them even helpfully commented "where's
your bell?". It is, in point of fact, one of those small ones with a
little flicky rubber hammer thing that goes 'dink'. Can anyone recommend
a louder bell? I don't really like the huge old fashioned type that
spring back slowly, but if they're loud enough then I'll consider them.
Similarly, I'm a bit wary of horns as they may not say 'cyclist' to
pedestrians, but if its loud enough then I'll consider it!

IME you could have Big Ben mounted on your handlebars and they still
wouldn't hear it. I find a human noise like a cough works much better.
The number of times I've rung a bell several times and then when I
was getting close give a cough only to see them jump and then apologise
that they wondered what that noise was......

--
Tony

"The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there
is no good evidence either way."
- Bertrand Russell
Old June 15th 07, 08:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Any Driver

My Air Zound was a sound investment. Clears rabbits, pheasants, cats and dogs out the way.
Unfortunately no pedestrians one my normal rides around the countryside.

Regards

A Driver
www.elitetaxi.co.uk

Old June 15th 07, 09:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Niall Wallace

"Any Driver" wrote in message
My Air Zound was a sound investment. Clears rabbits, pheasants, cats and
dogs out the way.
Unfortunately no pedestrians one my normal rides around the countryside.

Regards

A Driver
www.elitetaxi.co.uk

Never heard what an Airzound sounds like, Automotive air horns are good for
sending inattentive pedestrians skywards.

As Tony has said a human noise works a lot better, I find that "Excuse me
please" works ~90% better than a bell, having never seen a bell make any
different to a pedestrians path, and only had about 4 pedestrians fail to
respond to "excuse me please". (Sample for bell is much lower than voice.)

Niall

Old June 15th 07, 10:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Phil Cook

Niall Wallace wrote:

"Any Driver" wrote in message
.. .
My Air Zound was a sound investment. Clears rabbits, pheasants, cats and
dogs out the way.
Unfortunately no pedestrians one my normal rides around the countryside.

Never heard what an Airzound sounds like, Automotive air horns are good for
sending inattentive pedestrians skywards.

As Tony has said a human noise works a lot better, I find that "Excuse me
please" works ~90% better than a bell, having never seen a bell make any
different to a pedestrians path, and only had about 4 pedestrians fail to
respond to "excuse me please". (Sample for bell is much lower than voice.)

I found a good loud shout of "WATCH!!!" worked this evening. A
pedestrian was wandering across the busy junction between Victoria
Strret and Vauxhall Bridge Road seemingly in a world of her own. I
was clattering along at a fair lick and couldn't take the risk of her
not hearing me. She jumped about a foot! Fortunately in a vertical
direction.
Old June 15th 07, 11:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
squeaker

On Jun 15, 9:08 pm, "Niall Wallace"
wrote:

Never heard what an Airzound sounds like, Automotive air horns are good for
sending inattentive pedestrians skywards.

"Loud" (but can be middling, if desired).

Old June 16th 07, 01:42 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Roger Merriman

Tony Raven wrote:

[...]

the few times i've rolled around on the mountain bike which has mud
tires so not quiet at all, ie landie like. so mud tires will get you
though all sorts of stuff, though being heavy, and "intresting" on hard
stuff makes them less than ideal for urban riding.

roger
Old June 16th 07, 07:38 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
LSMike

On Jun 15, 8:36 pm, Any Driver wrote:
My Air Zound was a sound investment. Clears rabbits, pheasants, cats and dogs out the way.
Unfortunately no pedestrians one my normal rides around the countryside.

Regards

A Driverwww.elitetaxi.co.uk

I would suggest an AirZound is serious overkill to use on pedestrians,
except in emergency. They are very loud so that IMO is rude and
unpleasant. A pleasant "Good morning" or whatever seems to work very
well for me, and doesn't come across all get-out-of-my-way like a bell
can.

OTOH, I have a pimped up airzound now mounted in my recumbent. I
lengthened the pipe, and mounted the bottle in the tailfairing. Oh,
and not the original bottle any more, but a 2L coke bottle.

Old June 16th 07, 08:22 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
The other view point, there is one you know...

On 15 Jun, 22:21, Phil Cook wrote:
Niall Wallace wrote:
"Any Driver" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

So you were riding faster than the situation allowed?

You have to make allowances for other users you know... ;-)

Old June 16th 07, 08:45 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ekul Namsob

Niall Wallace wrote:

"Any Driver" wrote in message
My Air Zound was a sound investment. Clears rabbits, pheasants, cats and
dogs out the way.
Unfortunately no pedestrians one my normal rides around the countryside.

Never heard what an Airzound sounds like, Automotive air horns are good for
sending inattentive pedestrians skywards.

As Tony has said a human noise works a lot better, I find that "Excuse me
please" works ~90% better than a bell, having never seen a bell make any
different to a pedestrians path, and only had about 4 pedestrians fail to
respond to "excuse me please". (Sample for bell is much lower than voice.)

I find a hearty 'Morning!' does the trick.

At certain times of day, 'Evening!' is quite effective too.

And when going up the wrong sort of hill, 'Help!'.

Then again, most of the roads I use are quite pedestrian free.

Cheers,
Luke

exile in Lancashire http://www.shrimper.org.uk