Did RBR cover this already?

Old January 5th 09, 05:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
marco

Default Did RBR cover this already?

Tom Kunich wrote:
Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
It'd take a few years. Even a 24 year old isn't too old though if they
had a running background. Remember Mike Engleman? There's also a lot
of examples of female cyclists who started as runners. I'm sure Bruce
could fill you in.

Mike Engleman's long stay in the pros in the US was mostly because of the
lack of competition. He couldn't do that in today's peloton.

Amazing! Do you just make this up as you go?

Runners don't make particularly good riders because the muscles used are
different.

It takes a few years to switch from running to riding.

Mark
http://marcofanelli.blogspot.com

Old January 5th 09, 06:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour

On Jan 5, 12:40*pm, "marco" wrote:
Tom Kunich wrote:

Mike Engleman's long stay in the pros in the US was mostly because of the
lack of competition. He couldn't do that in today's peloton.

Amazing! Do you just make this up as you go?

No, ToKu's mind is made up before he hears the question.

Old January 5th 09, 06:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour

On Jan 5, 12:15*pm, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:
wrote in message

there are other articles on african cyclists, mostly buried on the
net, but if you look at their equiptment their love for the sport you
might see there does lie a lot of potiential there. there is absolutly
no reason the next 5 time tdf winner can't come from africa

I completely agree with you that there is potential. The problem is that
melding into the peloton and learning how to race European AND having the
capability is still a long way off.

The fastest sprinters are of African ancestry. A lot of the very high
endurance athletes are from Africa. There's bound to be someone in between
that has a lot of the good points from each group.

Then WTF are you arguing about? Nobody has said that the guys in that
article will be winning the Tour. It was simply lobbed out there that
_untrained_ cycling _amateurs_ ripped off a great climb. It shows
potential - which for some easily guessable reason seems to bother
you.

Old January 5th 09, 06:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"marco" wrote in message
Tom Kunich wrote:
Mike Engleman's long stay in the pros in the US was mostly because of the
lack of competition. He couldn't do that in today's peloton.

Amazing! Do you just make this up as you go?

That wasn't knocking Mike Engleman. It was simply the truth. He couldn't
compete against Europeans when he was at his best. I'm sure he could have if
he'd started earlier and went to Europe to race. He certainly had the
capacity in my opinion.

Runners don't make particularly good riders because the muscles used are
different.

It takes a few years to switch from running to riding.

A runner's heart rate is near max all the time. A cyclist's is way down most
of the time. There are significant differences in the physiology of the two
groups though of course there is a lot of overlap.

Old January 5th 09, 07:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bret

On Jan 5, 10:36*am, "marco" wrote:
Tom Kunich wrote:
Locally there's a couple of climbs that everyone times themselves on for
comparisons (Old LaHonda Rd on the San Francisco peninsula and Mt. Diablo
in Walnut Creek.) Most of the records are held by NONRACERS.

I don't believe that statement one bit. Can you prove it? Does anybody who
actually races in NorCal and does those climbs regularly believe TK's
assertion?

Markhttp://marcofanelli.blogspot.com

Yes, but not for the reasons TK stated. Such records tend to be
anecdotal and I think pro racers just don't care about them, the same
way they don't show up to "win" the local century rides.

Where I live, someone has tried to compile records for local rides and
there's a mix of names you have and haven't heard of. The most
recognizable names are actually from race results.

http://www.wwwright.com/climbing/spe...rbikerides.htm

I can't see Tyler Hamilton making any effort to get his name on that
page.

If I'm not mistaken, Blake Caldwell only holds the NCAR record because
his mother works there. There's a race there that's only open to
employees and family. I used to ride with a previous record holder.

The Jon Baker on that list is the same guy who was in the news
recently for punching Myerson during cross natz.

Bret
Old January 5th 09, 08:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"marco" wrote in message
Tom Kunich wrote:
Locally there's a couple of climbs that everyone times themselves on for
comparisons (Old LaHonda Rd on the San Francisco peninsula and Mt. Diablo
in Walnut Creek.) Most of the records are held by NONRACERS.

I don't believe that statement one bit. Can you prove it? Does anybody who
actually races in NorCal and does those climbs regularly believe TK's
assertion?

Nathaniel English is the holder of the Mt. Diablo Challenge. He's a local
Cat 3 which is a non-racer in my book.

Old La Honda Rd is questionable. Eric Heiden is supposed to hold the record
set LONG after he was a practicing doctor. Others claim Mike Murray (who was
a pro racer several years before he "set the record"). However, I've heard
that one of the locals who doesn't race did it in 11 minutes!!! That's 2-3
minutes faster than the recognized record.

The Mt Tam record is supposedly 37 minutes but in bike shops over in Marin
I've heard them talk about locals who've done it in under 35 minutes though
how that's possibly I don't know.

Old January 5th 09, 08:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Kurgan Gringioni

On Jan 5, 9:25*am, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:
"Kurgan Gringioni" wrote in message

It'd take a few years. Even a 24 year old isn't too old though if they
had a running background. Remember Mike Engleman? There's also a lot
of examples of female cyclists who started as runners. I'm sure Bruce
could fill you in.

Mike Engleman's long stay in the pros in the US was mostly because of the
lack of competition. He couldn't do that in today's peloton.

Runners don't make particularly good riders because the muscles used are
different.

Dumbass -

Another example of a runner who made the transition relatively quickly
was Christine Thorburn. She did not have any problems competing
against the Euros.

thanks,

K. Gringioni.
Old January 5th 09, 08:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Kurgan Gringioni

On Jan 5, 9:25*am, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:

Mike Engleman's long stay in the pros in the US was mostly because of the
lack of competition. He couldn't do that in today's peloton.

Dumbass -

You are such a retard.

Engleman's peak was during the Euro EPO era.

thanks,

K. Gringioni.
Old January 5th 09, 08:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"Kurgan Gringioni" wrote in message
On Jan 5, 9:25 am, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:

Runners don't make particularly good riders because the muscles used are
different.

Another example of a runner who made the transition relatively quickly
was Christine Thorburn. She did not have any problems competing
against the Euros.

Psst - she was a person who was a runner but rode bicycles from childhood.
She converted to racing bicycles in her teens.

Old January 5th 09, 08:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"Kurgan Gringioni" wrote in message
On Jan 5, 9:25 am, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:

Mike Engleman's long stay in the pros in the US was mostly because of
the
lack of competition. He couldn't do that in today's peloton.

Engleman's peak was during the Euro EPO era.

What exactly does that have to do with anything? Look at the times up the
climbs that Engelmann set and how much faster are they now? Are you telling
us that all of these records are better than his times because everyone now
is taking EPO?

You are about the dumbest SOB I've ever read.

Cover Girl Mike A Schwab General 0 December 22nd 07 07:12 AM
KH Fusion Cover on a DX. Borgschulze Unicycling 11 December 23rd 06 06:07 AM
Seat Cover UniFanatic03 Unicycling 7 June 26th 05 02:51 PM
KH Saddle Cover DarkTom Unicycling 24 January 28th 05 01:29 PM
Air seat cover unarueda Unicycling 4 November 1st 03 05:17 AM