Did RBR cover this already?

Old January 7th 09, 04:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

Default Did RBR cover this already?

wrote in message
On Jan 6, 2:40 am, Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
On Jan 5, 10:41 pm, wrote:

On Jan 5, 1:45 pm, Kurgan Gringioni wrote:

On Jan 5, 12:36 pm, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:
Dumbass -

Mt. Evans is 2 minutes faster now over 105 minutes.

I believe TD actually lopped about 12 minutes off the 1:53(?)-ish
marks set by Vaughters/Engleman/Jeannie Longo.

Dumbass -

Don't be like Tom Kunich. Have your **** straight before posting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mt._Evans_Hill_Climb

Engleman's fastest was a 1:45. Danielson's was 1:43.

You are correct about Engleman and Kunich, my bad.

Henry is so smart that he tells us that Danielson's record was 1:43 when it
was 1:41:20.

So who had their **** straight again?

Old January 7th 09, 05:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
d p chang

" writes:

On Jan 5, 5:47Â*pm, "marco" wrote:
Tom Kunich wrote:

Equally - because these silly little local records are quite short
distances, a much higher number of riders can set the record. It simply
isn't necessary to be a pro to be the first to the top of Diablo.

No it's not necessary. If you and I start together at the bottom, I will
beat you to the top, and I am not a pro. But that is not relevant to the
conversation.

Oooh, smack talk. You sound pretty confident there, Fanelli.

RBR Deathmatch I was the Coggan vs. Albright TT. Clearly, we need to
see RBR Deathmatch II: Fennell vs. Kunich, Old La Honda hill climb.
Steel pedal-cage deathmatch. Two men start but only one will conquer
the mountain.

If Kunich loses, he has to admit that racers are sometimes faster than
non-racers.

.... but i thought he was a racer? as in, licensed.

\p
---
Hopes, what are they? - Beads of morning
Strung on slender blades of grass; / or a spider's web adorning
In a strait and treacherous pass. --- William Wordsworth
Old January 7th 09, 07:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Kurgan Gringioni

On Jan 7, 9:27*am, d p chang wrote:
" writes:
On Jan 5, 5:47*pm, "marco" wrote:
Tom Kunich wrote:

[...]

Cat 5.

As demonstrated by this thread, a clueless one.

thanks,

K. Gringioni.
Old January 7th 09, 08:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
d p chang

Kurgan Gringioni writes:

On Jan 7, 9:27Â*am, d p chang wrote:
" writes:
On Jan 5, 5:47Â*pm, "marco" wrote:
Tom Kunich wrote:

Equally - because these silly little local records are quite short
distances, a much higher number of riders can set the record. It simply
isn't necessary to be a pro to be the first to the top of Diablo.

No it's not necessary. If you and I start together at the bottom, I will
beat you to the top, and I am not a pro. But that is not relevant to the
conversation.

Oooh, smack talk. Â*You sound pretty confident there, Fanelli.

RBR Deathmatch I was the Coggan vs. Albright TT. Â*Clearly, we need to
see RBR Deathmatch II: Fennell vs. Kunich, Old La Honda hill climb.
Steel pedal-cage deathmatch. Â*Two men start but only one will conquer
the mountain.

If Kunich loses, he has to admit that racers are sometimes faster than
non-racers.

... but i thought he was a racer? as in, licensed.

Cat 5.

yeah, but better than me since i finished school (and i sucked and knew
it).

As demonstrated by this thread, a clueless one.

i'm just kibitzing as a local.

we need a west coast deathmatch and olh would be pretty funny. me, i'd
have nominated tunitas creek so that the rest of rbr could get the 'pro'
comparison when the other tour comes through.

\p
---
God didn't create *all* the natural numbers. Just lots. Plenty.
--- Edsger Dijkstra
Old January 7th 09, 09:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Paul G.

On Jan 5, 12:40*pm, "marco" wrote:
Tom Kunich wrote:
marco wrote:
Tom Kunich wrote:
Locally there's a couple of climbs that everyone times themselves on for
comparisons (Old LaHonda Rd on the San Francisco peninsula and Mt.
Diablo in Walnut Creek.) Most of the records are held by NONRACERS.

I don't believe that statement one bit. Can you prove it? Does anybody
who actually races in NorCal and does those climbs regularly believe TK's
assertion?

Nathaniel English is the holder of the Mt. Diablo Challenge. He's a local
Cat 3 which is a non-racer in my book.

Nathaniel English is a cat 1, or will be soon. He is a climbing phenom, and
people who race in NorCal know this.

Old La Honda Rd is questionable. Eric Heiden is supposed to hold the
record set LONG after he was a practicing doctor. Others claim Mike Murray
(who was a pro racer several years before he "set the record"). However,
I've heard that one of the locals who doesn't race did it in 11 minutes!!!
That's 2-3 minutes faster than the recognized record.

11 minutes is complete BS. I guarantee you that. Heiden's "record" was
probably near 6 W/kg and no non-bike-racer can do 6 W/kg on a bike for 14
minutes like he did.

The Mt Tam record is supposedly 37 minutes but in bike shops over in Marin
I've heard them talk about locals who've done it in under 35 minutes
though how that's possibly I don't know.

Lucas Euser perhaps? He rides for Slipstream. Is he a bike racer in your
book?

I've personally witnessed Scott Nydam (BMC) set a time up Mt. Hamilton that
I can also guarantee you no non-bike-racer can beat.

You're living in a fantasy world Tom, ...unless you define "non-bike-racer"
as anybody not holding a UCI license on a pro tour team, your statement is
false.

Markhttp://marcofanelli.blogspot.com

Yeah- I just looked up Nat English, very impressive. He's been riding
in Cat 1-2 races since about April 2008. Regarding Mt Tam, there are
various places to start and finish, so you could have different
"records". The classic measure is the Mt Tam Hill Climb, which starts
in Stinson Beach, includes several miles of flat and ends at Rock
Springs which is well below any of the summits. (Tam has 3 peaks). The
race finishes at Rock Springs because there is lots of parking there
and the road from that point on gets more traffic. The actual climb
from Hwy 1 to Rock Springs could be done in 35 minutes, perhaps that
is how they are measuring it.
-Paul
Old January 7th 09, 09:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Paul G.

On Jan 5, 4:47*pm, "marco" wrote:

So, does that mean
he's a racer or a non-racer in your view? Look at your original statement:
"Most of the records are held by NONRACERS." I will let you off the hook if
you say you think Cat 1s are non-racers

Some obscure local events could have records held by non-racers, at
least until racers show up. After I quit racing someone told me about
an informal Wed evening 10 mile time trial. I went up and set a new
course record. This is funny- the next week, the former record holder
brought Gavin Chilcott, who was on the Junior Men's National Team at
the time, and went on to ride as a pro in Europe. He set a new record
by a large margin.

-Paul
Old January 7th 09, 09:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
marco

SLAVE of THE STATE wrote:
He did beat a girl once, so shutup. I was there. The girl beat me.

Beating a girl is not as bad as beating a senior citizen, so I'm declining
to race TK up OLH even spotting him 4 minutes. That would still be easy
though.

Old January 7th 09, 09:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
marco

Paul G. wrote:
marco wrote:
So, does that mean
he's a racer or a non-racer in your view? Look at your original
statement:
"Most of the records are held by NONRACERS." I will let you off the hook
if
you say you think Cat 1s are non-racers

Some obscure local events could have records held by non-racers, at
least until racers show up. After I quit racing someone told me about
an informal Wed evening 10 mile time trial. I went up and set a new
course record. This is funny- the next week, the former record holder
brought Gavin Chilcott, who was on the Junior Men's National Team at
the time, and went on to ride as a pro in Europe. He set a new record
by a large margin.

I agree Paul, but Tom's original assertions were not about obscure events,
but rather about very notable Bay Area climbs. His statement was that most
of the "records" on those climbs were held by NONRACERS. That is blatantly
false.

BTW, no shame in getting beaten by Chilcott.

Old January 7th 09, 10:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"d p chang" wrote in message

we need a west coast deathmatch and olh would be pretty funny. me, i'd
have nominated tunitas creek so that the rest of rbr could get the 'pro'
comparison when the other tour comes through.

It would be pretty funny to see Henry trying to climb Tunitas Creek. Old La
Honda Rd is not that bad nor long. The steep part of Tunitas is about 3
miles long and almost entirely in the shade of the Redwoods. On the last
steep climb it comes up over a little rise where there's a break in the
trees so that it is also usually sunny there - I wait for the rest of the
guys and warm myself in the sun. Even on relatively warm days it is chill in
the Redwoods.

There's a spot on Pinehurst that we call the Icebox which is also in the
Redwoods. They must absorb heat.

Old January 7th 09, 10:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
d p chang

"Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com writes:

"d p chang" wrote in message

me, i'd have nominated tunitas creek so that the rest of rbr could
get the 'pro' comparison when the other tour comes through.

It would be pretty funny to see Henry trying to climb Tunitas
Creek.

based on his descriptions of some of the rides around his part of so
cal, i think he'd do fine (w/o wanting to put words in his mouth).

Old La Honda Rd is not that bad nor long. The steep part of Tunitas is
about 3 miles long and almost entirely in the shade of the Redwoods.

hmmm... i think of tunitas as being easier than old. the 'tricky' part
is only knowing the sections so that you don't save too much on the
middle section. (for non-bay area types, the top part is still climbing
but barely. everyone is going fast here so the relative gains are
smaller than on the middle section).

On the last steep climb it comes up over a little rise where there's a
break in the trees so that it is also usually sunny there - I wait for
the rest of the guys and warm myself in the sun. Even on relatively
warm days it is chill in the Redwoods.

agreed. there are even sections along skyline that i always find to be chilly.

\p
---
Here is the test to find whether your mission on earth is finished. If
you're alive, it isn't. --- Richard Bach

Cover Girl Mike A Schwab General 0 December 22nd 07 07:12 AM
KH Fusion Cover on a DX. Borgschulze Unicycling 11 December 23rd 06 06:07 AM
Seat Cover UniFanatic03 Unicycling 7 June 26th 05 02:51 PM
KH Saddle Cover DarkTom Unicycling 24 January 28th 05 01:29 PM
Air seat cover unarueda Unicycling 4 November 1st 03 05:17 AM