Under or over seat steering?

Old March 15th 04, 07:17 PM
Jack Davis

Default OT: if at first you don't succeed..

"Dave Kahn" wrote in message
om...
Dave Lehnen wrote in message

paul wrote:

Ah, but as any skydiver will tell you, by getting out at the top, you
are avoiding the most dangerous bit of flying, namely the landing

But you're not avoiding the part where they put too many skydivers
too far back in a small plane, putting the center of gravity too
far back, and stall/spin into the ground not long after takeoff.
This seems to happen more than it should with skydive operators.
Usually landing is the most dangerous part, but with all the
skydivers gone, the plane is light and has a good safe forward
center of gravity.

So they not only avoid the most dangerous segment of the flight, they
make it safer for the pilot too.

--
Dave...

Dave,

Unfortunately there is usually not time for them to get out if the
tail-heavy condition is severe. The plane will very likely snap-roll right
after rotation for takeoff and dive into the ground taking pilots, skydivers
and their uni-cycles with it.

JD

Old March 15th 04, 09:21 PM
paul

In article m, jd2001
@ameritech.net says...
Unfortunately there is usually not time for them to get out if the
tail-heavy condition is severe. The plane will very likely snap-roll right
after rotation for takeoff and dive into the ground taking pilots, skydivers
and their uni-cycles with it.

Ooo. I wouldn't want to jump at a DZ run like that. sounds positivly
fatel (
--
..paul

If at first you don't succeed...
Skydiving is probably not the sport for you.
Old March 16th 04, 12:38 AM
bentbiker

Default Under or over seat steering?

not so bad in a Reynolds type set up, where the feet are at or slightly
above the hands, you are almost tucked in under the thighs, in that nice
slipstream from the legs. I would guess this wouldn't be more than .5
mph disadvantage.

Chris Crawford wrote:
Even in the tightest USS configurations with the arms tucked closely in
to the body and the lower arms horizontal, the upper arms and hands
increase the frontal area. With a superman bar (Bachetta) the arms
point out almost straight from the shoulder joint and add little frontal
area. With a praying hamster bar the forearms and hands can be in front
of the chest area thus also reducing the total frontal area. In these
ASS cases, there is the added drag area of the stem and bars but its
effect is uncertain (does the draft shadow around the bars close and
then have to re-open around the rider?) In any case I would concede
that the ASS can have some aerodynamic advantages on high performance
bikes.

Chris

Cornelius Roberts wrote:

Speed - many have argued that the coefficient of
drag is greater on USS than it is with USS.

That doesn't make a whole lot of sense

Old March 16th 04, 01:10 AM
Tom Sherman

Cornelius Roberts wrote:

Speed - many have argued that the coefficient of
drag is greater on USS than it is with USS.

That doesn't make a whole lot of sense

Mr. Roberts was commenting on Mr. Crawford comparing USS to USS.

Old March 16th 04, 01:11 AM
Jack Davis

"paul" wrote in message
m...
In article m, jd2001
@ameritech.net says...
Unfortunately there is usually not time for them to get out if the
tail-heavy condition is severe. The plane will very likely snap-roll

right
after rotation for takeoff and dive into the ground taking pilots,

skydivers
and their uni-cycles with it.

Ooo. I wouldn't want to jump at a DZ run like that. sounds positivly
fatel (
--
.paul

If at first you don't succeed...
Skydiving is probably not the sport for you.

Paul,

I'm beginning to think that you may be one of those totally insane S.F.
persons that jump from around 300 ft. in the middle of a moonless night over
God-knows-where. One of my kids flew those guys out of PAFB many
times....I never did hear how they got back....

jd

Old March 16th 04, 01:32 AM
Cornelius Roberts

That doesn't make a whole lot of sense

Mr. Roberts was commenting on Mr. Crawford comparing USS to USS.

Thanks Tom! They must have missed the Smiley! ; )