Under or over seat steering?

Old March 12th 04, 07:34 PM
paul

Default Under or over seat steering?

Ok, so I've been and had a play, and I want one. The bike in question is
the new machine from HPvelotecnic, the grasshopper. It's the business
Now I started this search with firm views that recumbents should have
USS, but the demo bike had above seat steering. I still think the USS
looks better, but what are the pros and cons of each steering type?

thans for your help.
--
..paul

If at first you don't succeed...
Skydiving is probably not the sport for you.
Old March 12th 04, 08:21 PM
Danny Colyer

paul wrote:
Ok, so I've been and had a play, and I want one. The bike in question
is the new machine from HPvelotecnic, the grasshopper. It's the
business Now I started this search with firm views that recumbents
should have USS, but the demo bike had above seat steering. I still
think the USS looks better, but what are the pros and cons of each
steering type?

Probably the main reason I went for USS is that it looks cool :-)

USS is more comfortable IMHO. It also has the advantage that you can
leap off of the bike as you stop, which doesn't work well with OSS.

OSS has aerodynamic advantages, as your arms are in the wind shadow of
your body. With USS, your arms are out at the side with their own wind
shadow. But I believe the Grasshopper, like the Street Machine, is
built more for comfort than for speed.

Did you try any other bikes with USS?

http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/
Why I like OE6 - http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/misc/oe6.html

Old March 12th 04, 09:32 PM
bentbiker

I would advise, if the bike comes both USS/OSS, and especially if you
aren't sure, get the USS. Reason: USS is usually a more expensive set
up, and you can then try the OSS latter.

Old March 12th 04, 09:58 PM
Frobnitz

"Danny Colyer" wrote in message
paul wrote:
. I still
think the USS looks better, but what are the pros and cons of each
steering type?

Probably the main reason I went for USS is that it looks cool :-)

Guilty as charged, m'lud...

USS is more comfortable IMHO. It also has the advantage that you can
leap off of the bike as you stop, which doesn't work well with OSS.

Do you go for the hammer on the front anchor, wait as the front of the bike
dips and recoils, and bounce out of the seat as the rear shock rebounds?

Or have I just got my suspension set too boingy? (Or being somewhat
childish - I don't think I've had this much fun with a toy since I was six.)

Slightly more seriously, I've found USS incredibly relaxing, occasionally
twitchy, but I'm putting that down to the learning curve. However, with
USS, your turning circle is somewhat large because your body gets in the way
(your foot can intersect the front wheel too). On my commute I have to
negotiate a hairpin curve on a grade separated crossing - on the MTB it was
a no brainer, on the 'bent with USS I have to be careful. Other than that,
aero issues aside, I can't think of a problem with USS.

Old March 12th 04, 09:59 PM
bentbiker

after market OSS set ups are really cheap Paul, and aftermarket USS are
really difficult. I'm assuming this is a indirect linkage USS? if so,
that is all the most money.

paul wrote:

In article ,
says...

I would advise, if the bike comes both USS/OSS, and especially if you
aren't sure, get the USS. Reason: USS is usually a more expensive set
up, and you can then try the OSS latter.

Now that is thinking I can relate to

Old March 12th 04, 11:02 PM
Danny Colyer

Frobnitz wrote:
Do you go for the hammer on the front anchor, wait as the front of
the bike dips and recoils, and bounce out of the seat as the rear
shock rebounds?

Yup :-)

However, with USS, your turning circle is somewhat large
because your body gets in the way (your foot can intersect the front
wheel too). On my commute I have to negotiate a hairpin curve on a
grade separated crossing - on the MTB it was a no brainer, on the
'bent with USS I have to be careful.

How long have you been riding?

On my cyclepath commute I have to take a 90 degree left, pass through a
gate just a little over 3' wide, cross a railway, go through another
gate and start my 90 degree right turn before I am completely through.
It took a few months to get the hang of doing it without dismounting,
but I find it easy now (it helps that I've done it well over 1000
times). Sitting up helps, and of course I have to make sure my feet are
positioned so that they don't intersect with the wheel.

(You can see the gates in question at
url:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/d...te/vircom.html
, just after the bollards.)

Old March 12th 04, 11:09 PM
Harry Spatz

I think you should go with what you are more comfortable with, but here are
some disadvantages for USS:

1. It is heavier and more complicated.
2. It is less aerodynamic. Arms at your side block the air more than if in
front of you.
3. It makes the bike wider so that it might be harder to maneuver through
narrow spaces. Also, will take up more width on a roof rack on your car.
4. It is harder to walk the bike because you have to lean way over to hold
the handlebars to steer the bike.

By "looks better" do you mean aesthetically pleasing? My priority would be
comfort and convenience, not aesthetics. Your priorities may be different.
Some people think that USS is more comfortable, some don't. Some feel that
USS is a more natural position. Most agree that you lose some performance
with USS, but then there is the comfort factor which is quite individual.
Try both and then decide. Keep in mind that OSS comes in different flavors
also. In one type your arms are directly in front of you. Some call this
the "praying hamster" position. Then there is the type where your legs move
between your arms which are outstretched, the "tweener" postion. These 2
positions feel quite different. Try them both.