Strada Wheelset Upgrade

Old July 20th 04, 01:54 AM
Tom Sherman

Default What Happened to This NG?, was Strada Wheelset Upgrade

Edward Dolan wrote:

I have forgotten whether Carol is a man or a woman, but I will respond as
though what follows below was written by a man....

We had this discussion before. Ms. Cohen is definitely a woman, and Mr.
Ed's memory is inferior to a pachyderm.

--
Tom Sherman – Quad City Area

Old July 20th 04, 02:10 AM
Edward Dolan

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
Edward Dolan wrote:

I have forgotten whether Carol is a man or a woman, but I will respond

as
though what follows below was written by a man....

We had this discussion before. Ms. Cohen is definitely a woman, and Mr.
Ed's memory is inferior to a pachyderm.

Others have told me all my life that I don't care about people - which is
most likely the reason I can never remember anything about them. I only care
about ideas. Even things (like recumbents) don't really interest me all that
much. My memory is only good with respect to slights at which point I become
the proverbial elephant who never forgets.

However, it is remarkable to me that you do remember things about people.
Therefore, I conclude that you actually care about people. Is this true?

--
Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old July 20th 04, 02:20 AM
Tom Sherman

Edward Dolan wrote:

I have forgotten whether Carol is a man or a woman, but I will respond

as

though what follows below was written by a man....

We had this discussion before. Ms. Cohen is definitely a woman, and Mr.
Ed's memory is inferior to a pachyderm.

Others have told me all my life that I don't care about people - which is
most likely the reason I can never remember anything about them. I only care
about ideas. Even things (like recumbents) don't really interest me all that
much. My memory is only good with respect to slights at which point I become
the proverbial elephant who never forgets.

However, it is remarkable to me that you do remember things about people.
Therefore, I conclude that you actually care about people. Is this true?

This would explain our differences in political opinions.

--
Tom Sherman – Quad City Area

Old July 20th 04, 05:28 AM
Edward Dolan

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
Edward Dolan wrote:

[...]
Others have told me all my life that I don't care about people - which

is
most likely the reason I can never remember anything about them. I only

care
about ideas. Even things (like recumbents) don't really interest me all

that
much. My memory is only good with respect to slights at which point I

become
the proverbial elephant who never forgets.

However, it is remarkable to me that you do remember things about

people.
Therefore, I conclude that you actually care about people. Is this true?

This would explain our differences in political opinions.

Exactly which sentence of my paragraph above are you focusing on? Is it that
I only care about ideas or is it that I have a great memory for slights. You
should have answered my question that I posed. I am assuming that you have
answered it thus: that you care about people and that accounts for your
political opinions as opposed to mine.

But that is all stuff and nonsense and we both know it. Those on the Left
have been the 20th century's greatest villains. A political opinion is
derived from a political philosophy which has next to nothing to do with
whether one cares about people or not. Almost all politicians like (care
about) people or else they would not be politicians. But whether one or the
other can do any good in this world pretty much depends on their political
philosophy. Those of us who do not much like people simply do not go into
politics.

But the political philosophy we profess and implement has everything to do
with whether or not people are going to be well off and happy. The liberals
who are forever blathering about how much they care about people (I feel
your pain) have never done much of anything for them, at least not lately.
Liberals are very good at keeping people on welfare and permanently poor and
dependent on the government. That is not my idea of caring.

But my question still hangs heavy in the ether; how is it that you remember
things about people and I don't? I think it comes down to interest rather
than caring or liking. You are interested and I am not. I remember things
that interest me and I don't remember things that don't interest me. I
assume it works that way for you and everyone else too.

--
Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old July 20th 04, 06:41 AM
Mark Leuck

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

But my question still hangs heavy in the ether; how is it that you

remember
things about people and I don't? I think it comes down to interest rather
than caring or liking. You are interested and I am not. I remember things
that interest me and I don't remember things that don't interest me. I
assume it works that way for you and everyone else too.

cough cough...altzheimers...cough cough

Old July 20th 04, 06:53 AM
Edward Dolan

"Mark Leuck" wrote in message

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

But my question still hangs heavy in the ether; how is it that you

remember
things about people and I don't? I think it comes down to interest

rather
than caring or liking. You are interested and I am not. I remember

things
that interest me and I don't remember things that don't interest me. I
assume it works that way for you and everyone else too.

cough cough...altzheimers...cough cough

I find I have to write notes to myself all the time lately or I can't even
get through the day anymore. They say if you can't remember where you parked
the car, that is just bad memory, but if you can't remember whether you have
a car or not, that is Alzheimer's. I think I just have bad memory, but I
will keep the group advised if and when I go into Alzheimer's - unless I
can't remember of course.

--
Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old July 20th 04, 10:14 AM
Tom Sherman

Edward Dolan wrote:

But that is all stuff and nonsense and we both know it. Those on the Left
have been the 20th century's greatest villains. A political opinion is
derived from a political philosophy which has next to nothing to do with
whether one cares about people or not. Almost all politicians like (care
about) people or else they would not be politicians....

No, (most) politicians care about people liking them enough to win
elections. Anyone who believes otherwise is naive.

Running for office is a combination of acting and marketing.

--
Tom Sherman – Quad City Area

Old July 20th 04, 02:19 PM
Jack Davis

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

"Bill" wrote in message
[...]
I would still like to know if 'bent riders are meeting somewhere else on
the 'Net these days instead of here. It seems that the HPV group is not
longer mostly 'bents these days too.

[...]
Where did everyone go in this NG? Is there a popular discussion group
somewhere else that 'bent riders are using instead? It has been a

while
since I have looked here and I was surprised how few postings there

were
and there was even some spam. Normally, in the old days, a question
like I had below would have gotten some responses.

Bill, try the Bentrideronline bulletin board for questions and answers. I
wouldn't be caught dead there myself as that forum is moderated by a

liberal
nut and screwball, but you might prefer it. I prefer an adult group like
ARBR where the only moderation is what we impose on ourselves.

This newsgroup is for more intellectual discussions. All the old-timers

who
were into being helpful to newbies have left for greener pastures because
they all wanted to post their inane liberal political comments and I took
them up on it. There is thankfully little of that sort of thing left here
now due to me. This newsgroup is a far better place than it was in the old
days when it was full of nothing but liberal rants by the species Homo
Stupidus Liberalis.

By the way, there are too damn many Bill's on this newsgroup, some with a
single l (Bil) and some with two l's like you (Bill). Some capitalize the

and others don't. I wish everyone would use their own name so I don't go
crazy trying to keep track of all these confounded Bill's!

--
Ed Dolan - Minnesota

to Bill....they are out riding their bents.
to Ed....it's too late.

jd

Old July 20th 04, 09:55 PM
Edward Dolan

"Carol Cohen" wrote in message
om...
"Doug Huffman" wrote in message

And now you ought to see the spam-crap flooding in. I got to somebody.

Heh
heh heh

"Doug Huffman" wrote in message news:...
| Put 'im in the killfile.

Hi, Doug --

Wish I could. But I view newsgroups directly on google
(http://groups/google.com). And when I scroll down within a thread,
there are those unavoidable (unless I close my eyes while I scroll)
rants. I wonder if he has time to bike. I wonder (don't advise me
not to) what sort of person he is, in person. His interpretation of
the name "Carol" as gender-ambiguous suggests someone who speaks
English as a second language.

Look up Carol Reed, perhaps one of the greatest movie directors of all time.
It is a common man's name in England. If you want the world to know that you
are a woman, then so indicate that by a Ms. This group is almost exclusively
all men.

His inability to detect humor in
postings may also be attributable to this language problem. And the
fact that he must be the last to post or reply on a thread, indicates
profound insecurity. In fact (as I wrote before), I bet he won't be
able to let this go by. I will donate $10 (to go to an annual charity
bike ride such as the Diabetes Assoc. ones) that he will continue
inappropriately to respond, and will post again on this thread, or
deliberately start a new one with a similar content.

Ms. Carol is reacting emotionally like all women do. The fact is I have
never started a single thread on ARBR (except for a couple of very special
ones that were short and sweet). Her attempts at analysis of personality are
pitiful and not to be given any credence. The fact that I do not put smileys
at the end of very many of my statements ought to indicate that I am
trusting to the intelligence of my readers to get the drift of my humor
unaided. The problem with this newsgroup is that most on it are just not too
bright and do not know how to read (let alone write).

I have already explained to Ms. Carol that if and when anyone on this
newsgroup ever says anything the least bit intelligent I will be rendered
speechless and I will not have to respond. But I have determined that idiots
are not going to have the last word. Ms. Carol has a long ways to go before
she renders me speechless with her intelligence.

By the way, I always "appropriately" respond because I know how to read even
very idiotic posts. But I am a world class expert at detecting impoliteness
and so I beat the rascal to the punch with my own unique brand of
impoliteness. It is called preemption. This comes from a long life of having
to deal with liberals who are all scoundrels without any exceptions
whatsoever. But mostly they are just treasonous - which is reason enough to
want to see them dead.

Y'know, we could raise a great deal of charity money this way.

Your charities are nothing but rat holes for wasted money. Diabetes is
getting worse with every passing generation and there is no cure in sight.

C.C.

That should be Ms. C.C.

P.S. -- Hi, Tom Sherman -- I always love your footnoted style.

Footnoting on Usenet is nothing but an affectation of wanna-be scholars.
Even Scott (a real scholar) does not do that on Usenet. Mr. Tom does it
because no one else does it and it gives him some cachet with fools like
you!

P.P.S. to Doug -- "Fora" -- terrific!

Fora is as dumb as it gets. Doug is a wanna-be intellectual too, but he
doesn't realize you have to go to college and get a liberal arts education
before you know it is just plain stupid to pretend to these numskull
affectations. It is always best to write English the way all the great
writers of prose do. Of course, you would have to read some of these great
writers in order to know that!

--
Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old July 20th 04, 10:02 PM
Edward Dolan

Edward Dolan wrote:

But that is all stuff and nonsense and we both know it. Those on the

Left
have been the 20th century's greatest villains. A political opinion is
derived from a political philosophy which has next to nothing to do with
whether one cares about people or not. Almost all politicians like (care
about) people or else they would not be politicians....

No, (most) politicians care about people liking them enough to win
elections. Anyone who believes otherwise is naive.

Running for office is a combination of acting and marketing.

Tom, you and I couldn't run for dog catcher because neither one of us like
people enough to go through the process of getting ourselves elected. Could
you kiss strange babies and eat hot dogs at Coney Island? Of course not!
Basically, we are unelectable.

--
Ed Dolan - Minnesota