Rich Pinto states objectives

Old October 15th 04, 04:24 AM
Edward Dolan

"Tom Borgman" wrote in message
k.net...
In article ,
says...

[snip]

A recumbent is a very simple contraption and ought not to cost as much as
they do. $3000. for a recumbent is a crime against all sensibility. If
you
can't make a recumbent for a few hundred, then get out of the way and
leave
some room for someone smarter than you who can. As long as recumbents
continue to cost thousands of dollars instead of hundreds, it will always
be
a poor industry for scavengers like you to take advantage of.

I'm confused, Ed. You've publicly (and a bit ungentlemanly, I think),
called Rich for being little short of a thief. It looks to me like he
and his partners built a company up and are selling product to willing
buyers. Methinks this is "free enterprise," is it not?

Conversely, you advocate a very inexpensive "People's Recumbent" priced,
presumably, below market value.

Do I need to reconsider your credentials as a conservative? ;-

Point taken, but "willing buyers" have mostly been brain washed by one thing
or another. The free enterprise system ought not to be an excuse for robbing
people of their hard earned money. What I object to is praise bestowed on
characters who only know how to make expensive toys for rich people. They
are really not benefiting society much. The recumbent bicycle industry badly
needs a Henry Ford in my not so humble opinion

Just why the hell isn't there a people's recumbent if we truly have such a
free enterprise system? By the way, I very much like that term, "People's
Recumbent."

[snip]

I have no interest in making anything - period! Lucky for you that I
don't
as I would put you out of business in a trice with your very expensive
$3000. recumbents. If I couldn't bring in a very nice recumbent for less
than $1000., I would get the hell out of the recumbent business. You are
little short of a thief in my not so humble opinion.

I don't know about you Ed, but I was raised to believe that unless you
actually design, develop, build and sell a better mousetrap, you really
can't criticize the guy who actually did it. If you don't like Rich's
bikes or think they're poor value, fine, but in my opinion, your
personal criticisms here are way off-base.

Maybe so, but guys like Rich Pinto, who have acquired some expertise, owe it
to society to occasionally give the rest of us a good deal, even if it means
they are only going to become millionaires instead of billionaires. I have
no regard for selfishness. If you get something from society, then you
should give something back to society of which you are part. Even Andrew
Carnegie performed this minimum obligation.

This forum was nothing but a cesspool of liberal posting until I showed
up.
It may be that some think liberalism is valuable and informative, but I
think it is mostly just pure ****.

Perhaps it was once a cesspool of liberal posting. Now it's just a
cesspool of nastiness.

Everything goes on like it always has minus the liberal posting. Even Mr.
Sherman is not missed when he takes an absence from the group. We are all
of us dispensable. When I leave, I will be replaced by someone who will
perform my function, but not as well as me. You should relax and enjoy me
while I am here. Like Jesus of Nazareth, I will not always be among you.

This is not intended as a flame. It just seems that as Defender of the
Faith, quick to pounce on transgressors in matters of politics,
punctuation, pricing and sandals, you more than most would appreciate an
ever-so-mild rebuke.

Of course! I am really just a lovable person who wants to be liked by one
and all. All this animosity I detect here directed at me does nothing but
raise my already high blood pressure. When I die of complications due to it,
I may direct that my estate sue this newsgroup for causing my early demise.

It seems like I do keep coming back to certain issues over and over. That is
because no one else on this group does. I never take after anyone about
punctuation or spelling and other grammatical errors if I determine that
they simply don't know any better, but if they have irritated me by glorying
in being slobs and idiots, then I do. Why should they get a free ride? Those
are the types that will destroy a newsgroup. My type renews and invigorates
a newsgroup and keeps it from dying of terminal boredom.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old October 15th 04, 05:12 AM
Edward Dolan

"Mark" wrote in message
om...
Tom Borgman wrote:

I'm confused, Ed. You've publicly (and a bit ungentlemanly, I think),
called Rich for being little short of a thief. It looks to me like he
and his partners built a company up and are selling product to willing
buyers. Methinks this is "free enterprise," is it not?

Conversely, you advocate a very inexpensive "People's Recumbent" priced,
presumably, below market value.

Do I need to reconsider your credentials as a conservative? ;-

Hah - good one!

But Tom, don't waste your time with him. The amount of venom he spews
forth without even being provoked indicates some kind of mental
illness, or at least the emotional stability of your average 14
year-old.

No one cares what he thinks, and his need for control and domination
just shows an inability to play well with others (something most
people learn before they reach puberty).

Mark

(A Canadian, musician, and car-free Green Party advocate who likes
sandals in the summertime, only because in winter the ice gets stuck
between my toes.)

This Mark, unlike that other Mark (an idiot who will not punctuate his
sentences because he is an illiterate boob), at least knows how to write and
punctuate. Unfortunately though, however, he does not know what newsgroups
are about. He thinks they are for getting along with others and passing
complementary comments back and forth. That being the case with him, we are
never going to be on the same page together. So be it.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old October 15th 04, 05:28 AM
Edward Dolan

"stratrider" wrote in message
m...
Rich, you and I met briefly three years ago heading into the finish at
the Seagull Century in Salisbury, MD. I was riding my 1999 Stratus
and you were on your AeroCycle. At the end of the ride you introduced
my to John Schlitter riding an Orange Strada before your company
started producing bikes for the market. Last week I completed my
second Seagull on my Red Strada with the M5 seat. This bike is a
tremendous value and awesome machine! My roadie friends and I finished
the ride with an average speed of 18.5 mph, our fastest time to date.
Thanks for a great bike and keep up the good work.

Best Regards
Jim Reilly
Reading, PA

The RANS Strada was a more or less sensibly priced bike. Now Mr. Pinto is
making bikes that are almost twice as expensive as the Strada. Next he will
move on and make a recumbent bike and try to sell it for $6000. instead of
$3000. He is moving in the wrong direction. As a recumbent guru, he ought to
be trying to make a recumbent bike for less than $1000., or better yet, for
less than $500. He will only get a thanks and a "keep up the good work" from
me when he manages to make a bike that everyday people can afford to buy.

How does that M5 seat compare to the RANS seat I wonder, especailly with
respect to comfort.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old October 15th 04, 08:06 AM
Mark Leuck

"Mark" wrote in message
om...
Tom Borgman wrote:

[...]

Its not control and domination its attention, if you notice most of the time
he takes the opposite opinion just so someone responds, I seriously doubt
he's ever had a recumbent

Old October 15th 04, 09:14 AM
Edward Dolan

"Mark Leuck" wrote in message

"Mark" wrote in message
om...
Tom Borgman wrote:

[...]

This ****ing idiot Leuck, who does not use periods, has apparently never
heard of apostrophes either. "Its" should be in all the cases used above
"it's." The proper use of the comma also alludes him.

I can and do take all sides of an issue and argue as though I were a true
believer. You mean others don't similarly do this? How dull and boring their
lives must be. If you would impress me, you must win an argument with me.
Barring that, you are confined to the trash bin of the forever dumb and
stupid.

Learn how to argue or get the hell off of Usenet. Most of you should be into
emails anyway since all you are doing is stroking one another like monkeys.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old October 15th 04, 01:18 PM
RCPINTO

Rich, you and I met briefly three years ago heading into the finish at
the Seagull Century in Salisbury, MD. I was riding my 1999 Stratus
and you were on your AeroCycle. At the end of the ride you introduced
my to John Schlitter riding an Orange Strada before your company
started producing bikes for the market. Last week I completed my
second Seagull on my Red Strada with the M5 seat. This bike is a
tremendous value and awesome machine! My roadie friends and I finished
the ride with an average speed of 18.5 mph, our fastest time to date.
Thanks for a great bike and keep up the good work.

Best Regards
Jim Reilly
Reading, PA

Hey Jim...nice to hear from you. I remember that ride well, the first time
I got to ride a century with the Kansas Tornado (JS). I wish we could have
made it since then, but it always seems to seems to be the same weekend(s) as
Interbike.

Glad to see the (Bacchetta ;) Strada is working out for you!

BTW, thanks to all for the emails, I will use my KF tools in the future.
Duh...

Tailwinds, Rich
Old October 15th 04, 05:17 PM
Jameson

Edward Dolan Wrote:
[...]

Forgive me, I'm somewhat of a newbie here. But doesn't Bacchetta also
make bikes costing considerably less than $3,000 in their line-up? The
Giro, in particular. In addition, I was reading an Interbike report
over at BROL and noticed that Bacchetta displayed a couple of
prototypes, one of which was targeted for about $1200.00, with the
other intended to sell for less than $1,000.........actually about
$800.00 according to the report. So it would seem the folks at
Bacchetta are already investigating some different types of bikes to
sell in different market segments.

--
Jameson

Old October 15th 04, 08:27 PM
Edward Dolan

"Jameson" wrote in message

Edward Dolan Wrote:
[...]

If what you say is true (I am too lazy to look up anything), then the folks
at Bacchetta have not gone completely crazy. However, the Bacchetta is their
flagship model and the one that gets all the publicity. If they could figure
out how to make a recumbent and offer it to the public for around $500. or
less, I would have to declare Rich Pinto a genius and I would have to
apologize to him. But I suspect he may be thinking about a recumbent that is
going to be priced at $25,000., at which point he would be able to claim
that he had produced the most expensive bike in the world. Others on this
group would bow down and worship him if he were able to accomplish this
feat.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old October 15th 04, 08:28 PM
stratrider

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message ...

How does that M5 seat compare to the RANS seat I wonder, especailly with
respect to comfort.

Hello Ed... Except for some neck strain, in a very reclined position,
I find the M5 to be very comfortable. In this position my weight is
largely on my back and off my butt. Riding hard and fast on the
weekends is a blast with the Strada. Still, there is a down side for
me. The reclined seat position is extreme. So much so, that I
continue to use my RANS Stratus to commute. The upright position and
low bb make this the right bike for me in urban/ suburban conditions.
As to your issues with Bacchetta and pricing, $3000+ bikes exceed my
budget and probably always will. Last week I saw an upright Calfee
carbon fiber tandem for $9200 and a Seven tandem (ti) for $10k! While
these prices blew me away, the free market economist in me says that
if the market will support these bikes then so be it.... I see
Bacchetta focusing on the high end recumbent market. Isn't that their
choice?

Jim
Old October 15th 04, 08:37 PM
Edward Dolan

"RCPINTO" wrote in message
[...]
Glad to see the (Bacchetta ;) Strada is working out for you!

This great guru from Bacchetta can't even come up with an original name for
his bike. If I were RANS, I would sue him for appropriating a name that most
folks in the recumbent world associate with RANS, not Bacchetta. Well, that
is what happens when you can't think outside the box. He should have hired
me to name his very expensive bike. Engineers and craftsman like him should
never be in charge of artistic matters.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota