New for me - cycling

Old October 14th 03, 12:38 AM
B Parker

Default New for me - cycling

Hello, everyone!

I'm looking for a way to get some exercise and enjoy it in the process.
Walking it too boring for me, and my knees can't take jogging, let alone
running, unfortunately. I think I've decided that cycling is what I'm
looking for. My knowledge on cycling is pretty close to nil, though.

My wife and I live in the Tulsa, OK area and if I do get a bike it will be
mainly for road riding, with some _minor_ off-road thrown in. I will not be
interested in racing or long ( multi-hour ) rides, just a few miles here and
there to get my heart rate up.

I've looked at the Trek 7300 ( online ) and the Giant Cypress LX hybrids (
in my LBS ). I think these are the styles of bikes I'm looking for. I like
the disc brakes and also the Shimano Shifters on the LX over the SRAM twist
shifters on the DX in theory, although I haven't actually ridden the bikes.

I'd like to hear any suggestions on what Make/Models that would be good for
me to examine. If any more information is needed from me to help give
suggestions, don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,
-BEP

Old October 14th 03, 12:52 AM
alan

Go to Tom's Rivertrail bikes, rent a few, and see what you like!

--

alan

Anyone who believes in a liberal media has never read the "Daily Oklahoman."

Old October 14th 03, 01:10 AM
B Parker

"alan" wrote
Go to Tom's Rivertrail bikes, rent a few, and see what you like!

Thanks, Alan. I use to live on Riverside and enjoyed blading the trail
there a few times ( rented blades from there if that's the place on S.
Peoria ). I'm now down in BA and work on the east side, but can take some
time on a weekend to rent one from there to see what I like. Great
suggestion.

Do you have any idea if they have current models, shifter styles, etc? The
whole twist-grip thing just looks... cheap/chincy to me. I prefer function
over gloss and they just seem to be gloss to me. Not knowing squat about
cycling means I could be 180 degrees off on my assessment, though, so I
don't want to discount anything just by my uninformed guesswork.

-BEP

Old October 14th 03, 01:24 AM
Bob

You'll get some good information in this group and already the very key
piece of advice has been passed on to you.....go ride everything you can
before you settle on anything. If the bike doesn't fit, or you end up not
liking it for some reason, it will be a waste of your money and sit in the
garage.
Having said that, I own a Trek 7300 and like it very much. I ride an
average of 700 miles a month, (about 8000 miles a year) all on the road or
paved bike path. I do no offroad riding. The 7300 has been a very good
bike to me and I enjoy riding it. I have had to replace a few parts though.
Freehub body twice ($30 each time) and now have to replace most of the
steering. (headset, stem, front fork). The bike is about 14 months old.
Some may think thats alot, but look at my miles, and know I live in upstate
NY and ride outside all winter. Road salt and ANY bike are not the best
mix. I do beleive I'd have these same repairs on most any bike due to the
salt and rain I ride in.
If you want to know anything about the 7300 please drop me a line. Follow
the advice of others and test ride everything until you find one you really
like. If you're happy with it, you'll ride it. Its great exercise....I
dropped 20 lbs

Old October 14th 03, 03:03 AM
alan

I was down there over the weekend. Tom usually has some hybrids, mountain
bikes, and a somewhat odd looking semi-recumbent from Giant, I think. But
give him a call and ask. He's a really helpful guy.

--

"B Parker" wrote in message

Do you have any idea if they have current models, shifter styles, etc?

The
whole twist-grip thing just looks... cheap/chincy to me. I prefer

function
over gloss and they just seem to be gloss to me. Not knowing squat about
cycling means I could be 180 degrees off on my assessment, though, so I
don't want to discount anything just by my uninformed guesswork.

Cycling Holiday Tours - Any Recommendations? Elisa Francesca Roselli General 9 October 11th 03 03:53 PM
Cycling may be hazardous to your frivolous lawsuit Mr. E. Mann General 0 September 22nd 03 10:49 AM
Vermont cycling Hal Jordan General 30 September 13th 03 08:09 AM
Cycling California's coast in the winter Ed General 4 September 13th 03 02:00 AM
Dr. Gridlock and Cycling (LONG) Luigi de Guzman General 6 September 3rd 03 11:17 AM