Why don't cyclists learn to use their brakes?

Old November 17th 11, 10:06 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
dr6092

Default Why don't cyclists learn to use their brakes?

On Nov 17, 8:12*am, "Mrcheerful" wrote:
dr6092 wrote:

Oh, you make it sound so easy. You clearly have minimal experience of
cycling, let alone how such circumstances develop.Stop pontificating
and go away.

A car cannot move sideways, therefore there was a large element of moving
forward involved,

When a car is passing with a reasonable speed differential, it is easy
for the cyclist to facilitate the overtake. It happens frequently.

When a thoughtless driver decides to start an overtake with small
differential then slows down while moving sideways, it can be a
difficult situation to deal with. Your "large element of moving
forwards" forgets that a large element of length has to be cleared.

if the cyclist had braked, rather than carry out a stupid
sequence of ineffectual actions, then there would have been no 'near miss'.

You don't know he didn't brake earlier in the process.

His injury would not have occured if he had been able to put his foot down
in a timely manner.

You have no clue what unfolded.

Saying 'go away' does not actually work in the real world, you need to face
up to things and deal with them.

Go away and stop pontificating about things you know nothing about.
Calling someone a psycholist doesn't make you right.
Old November 17th 11, 10:10 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mick the Moderator

Default Apology (Was: Why don't cyclists learn to use their brakes?)

It appears that the above post was an abusive or trolling messsage from
Mrcheerful, a known serial offender. We apologise for any distress this
obnoxious message may have caused, it has now been reported to http://netreport.virginmedia.com
as a violation of their acceptable use policy. This does not preclude additional
reports of this abuse, should you feel so motivated.

Thank you for your patience during this hopefully brief interruption to your usenet pleasure.
--
Mick the Moderator
pp. the Hon. Nigel P. Smallpiece (CEO), Knotty Ash Jam Butty Enterprises plc, England
Old November 17th 11, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_2_]

Doug wrote:
On Nov 16, 8:31 am, "Mrcheerful" wrote:
"the driver cut in as he overtook me.
"I shouted out a warning and knocked on the roof of the car, but the
driver continued to cut in and struck the bike, causing me to fall
to the pavement."

If you have time enough to shout and bang on the car, then why on
Earth are you not keeping your hands on the handlebars and braking?

He sounds like a Simon, an accident waiting to happen

http://www.getwokingham.co.uk/news/s...ury_at_poor_dr...

You obviously have little experience of cycling.

When a cyclist is deliberately cut-up by a motorist it is without
warning and with little if any time to respond. Obviously the cyclist
above naturally assumed that banging on the roof of the car would have
produced a suitable response, such as slowing down. Instead the
motorist just continued to cut him up even more and regardless thus
then requiring the emergency braking.

Do you understand?

shouting and banging on a roof are not conducive to adequate braking though,
are they?
If someone cuts you up, you take evasive action, such as swerving or
braking. Shouting does not really do it, does it? and as for taking your
hand away from the most powerful brake, it beggars belief. His injuries
were caused by his own stupidity.

The thing I understand is that cyclists seem to think that everything is
someone else's fault. In 99 per cent of crashes there is an element of two
vehicles doing something wrong, or one of them taking the stupid idea that
they are i'n the right' and not taking evasive action when they should.

Old November 17th 11, 10:43 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Nov 17, 9:38*am, Simon Weaseltemper
wrote:

At relative speeds, cars *do* move sideways.

And the faster the speed, the quicker both cyclists and cars move
sideways in relation to each other and other traffic.

That’s why (or at least one of the reasons why), the faster the speed,
the more lateral distance is needed for safety.

That’s why, stationary traffic can be passed within inches.

Some people who have viewed my videos seem shocked at the tiny spaces
I can cycle through.
As you say, in stationary traffic, the cars and buses aint going
anywhere and can be literally brushed past at speed.

--
Simon Mason

Old November 17th 11, 11:21 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_12_]

On 17-Nov-2011, "Mrcheerful" wrote:

Doug wrote:
[...]

But usually there is only one victim and that is the vulnerable road user
and there should be a duty of care shown by well-protected drivers, instead
of impatience and annoyance.

they are i'n the right' and not taking evasive action when they should.

As I said previously, you have little experience of cycling and to be cut up
by a driver suddenly without warning.

Have you ever thought of gaining a little cycling experience before posting
more of your anti-cyclist rubbish here?

-- .
UK Radical Campaigns.
http://www.zing.icom43.net
A driving licence is a licence to kill.
Old November 17th 11, 11:36 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_2_]

Doug wrote:
[...]

The difference is that I ride defensively, I do not rely on others to look
out for me . I witness and sometimes experience people's bad driving on a
regular basis, yet don't crash into them, why is that? Perhaps it is
because I am careful and observant and alert , I take evasive action when
needed, I don't waste time waving my arms about or shouting, I deal with the
situation. IPSGA if everyone used it there would be no crashes.
Every moment of every journey can be safely dealt with:
Information
Position
Speed
Gear
Accelleration

Looking at the original point of the post: the cyclist did not have the
information that a car was about to come past or its road position, so he
has fallen at the first hurdle. His position was evidently unsuitable or he
would have had room to take evasive action, yet another fall. etc.

Old November 17th 11, 11:52 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Nov 17, 11:21*am, "Doug" wrote:

As I said previously, you have little experience of cycling and to be cut up
by a driver suddenly without warning.

Have you ever thought of gaining a little cycling experience before posting
more of your anti-cyclist rubbish here?

-- .
UK Radical Campaigns.
*http://www.zing.icom43.net
A driving licence is a licence to kill.- Hide quoted text -

Cheerless can't use a bike in his town as it would, at a stroke,
destroy his "no cyclists ever spotted in my town" survey.
Besides which, as he believes in Darwinism and fate, he would likely
get an unsafe container load falling on him as a karma debt.

--
Simon Mason
Old November 17th 11, 04:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
dr6092

On Nov 17, 11:36*am, "Mrcheerful" wrote:

The difference is that I ride*defensively,

How do you know you're different?

I do not rely on others to look
out for me. I witness and sometimes experience people's bad driving on a
regular basis, yet don't crash into them, why is that?

....sometimes... ...on a regular basis... Make your mind up.

People that cycle more than you would witness such things more often
than you. You're not unique.

*Perhaps it is
because I am careful and observant and alert , I take evasive action when
needed, I don't waste time waving my arms about or shouting, I deal with the
situation.

A cyclist has a fall after many thousands of miles of experience. How
do you think they got that far? Luck only works for a very short time.

*IPSGA if everyone used it there would be no crashes.

Crashing is very rare because they do most of the time. You need to
get a grasp of how probability works.