Fuul Suspension MTB

Old July 15th 07, 01:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
FabJack

Default Fuul Suspension MTB

Is it possible to buy a full sus mtb for about £400 and expect it to last?

Not a full on eyes out rider, local trails and tracks with some hard bits.

I see Halfords have a couple in their Carrera range. Anybody have any
experience with them?

My current ride is a 12 year old MTrax which has served me well but I'm
getting old and want a softer ride!

Am I expecteing too much?

Cheers
Old July 15th 07, 02:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd[_2_]

On 15/07/2007 13:21, FabJack said,
Is it possible to buy a full sus mtb for about £400 and expect it to last?

I suggest you pop out to WH Smiths and pick up the current issue
(August) of Mountain Biking UK. Cover story - "Full sus for less than
£500 - is it worth it?"

The answer appears to be a conservative "yes". FWIW, the Decathlon
Rockrider 6.3 scored 9 out of 10 for this category - and only £300. For
the type of riding you describe it ought to be OK.

Mind you, if you just want a softer ride, have you considered a
suspension seat-post?

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old July 15th 07, 02:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
FabJack

Paul Boyd wrote:
On 15/07/2007 13:21, FabJack said,
Is it possible to buy a full sus mtb for about £400 and expect it to
last?

I suggest you pop out to WH Smiths and pick up the current issue
(August) of Mountain Biking UK. Cover story - "Full sus for less than
£500 - is it worth it?"

The answer appears to be a conservative "yes". FWIW, the Decathlon
Rockrider 6.3 scored 9 out of 10 for this category - and only £300. For
the type of riding you describe it ought to be OK.

Mind you, if you just want a softer ride, have you considered a
suspension seat-post?

Thanks Paul. I'll make sure to get a copy. I had not considered a seat
post. Got to say some of the full susers I see passing me by got me
thinking I'd like a new toy!
Old July 15th 07, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Brooke

in message , FabJack
') wrote:

Is it possible to buy a full sus mtb for about £400 and expect it to
last?

No. Giant Trance at about £900 is the cheapest currently on the market
which I would consider worth the money.

Not a full on eyes out rider, local trails and tracks with some hard
bits.

I see Halfords have a couple in their Carrera range. Anybody have any
experience with them?

I have a friend who rides (and sometimes races) a Carrera. So far he's
broken two frames (but to their credit Halfords replaced them free, no
quibble).

My current ride is a 12 year old MTrax which has served me well but I'm
getting old and want a softer ride!

Am I expecteing too much?

Light, strong, cheap: choose two.

;; making jokes about dyslexia isn't big, it isn't clever and
;; it isn't furry.

Old July 15th 07, 08:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd[_2_]

On 15/07/2007 17:28, Rob Morley said,

IME sussy seatposts don't really soften the ride, they just take the
sting out of really big bumps.

It was just a suggestion :-) I've never experienced them!

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old July 16th 07, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Brooke

in message , Ace
') wrote:

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 14:33:03 +0100, Paul Boyd
wrote:

On 15/07/2007 13:21, FabJack said,
Is it possible to buy a full sus mtb for about £400 and expect it to
last?

I suggest you pop out to WH Smiths and pick up the current issue
(August) of Mountain Biking UK. Cover story - "Full sus for less than
£500 - is it worth it?"

The answer appears to be a conservative "yes". FWIW, the Decathlon
Rockrider 6.3 scored 9 out of 10 for this category - and only £300. For
the type of riding you describe it ought to be OK.

Maybe OK, but is it worth having full suspenders for this price? No, I
don't think so. I looked at the full range of Decathlon bikes recently
and really they didn't inspire me at all, even in the bargain-basement
price range. I think anyone with 400 notes to spend would be far
better advised to avoid full-suss bikes entirely, and concentrate on a
reasonably light, but strong, rigind frame, with decent spring forks.

All good advice, although I'd say spend a little bit more and get decent
air forks. More adjustability, and (IMHO) better response.

;; not so much a refugee from reality, more a bogus
;; asylum seeker

Old July 16th 07, 03:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd

Ace said the following on 15/07/2007 22:53:

Maybe OK, but is it worth having full suspenders for this price? No, I
don't think so. I looked at the full range of Decathlon bikes recently
and really they didn't inspire me at all, even in the bargain-basement
price range. I think anyone with 400 notes to spend would be far
better advised to avoid full-suss bikes entirely, and concentrate on a
reasonably light, but strong, rigind frame, with decent spring forks.

I hope I didn't get across that I was in any way recommending the
Decathlon :-) I was just offering it as a suggestion based on a
magazine review. I agree that for £400 you ain't going to get much, but
if that's what the OP has, then he's doing the right thing by trying to
get the best for the money.

Personally I ride a steel hardtail!

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old July 16th 07, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd

Ace said the following on 16/07/2007 15:18:

Well I've got a 531 road bike, a carbon/aluminium tail mtb and now my
nice new full suspension Focus, o/s ally framed. The latter is far and
away the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden, even with both front
and rear shocks locked out.

The Focus bikes do look good but I have this, probably totally
unjustified, "own brand" reservation about them - the Halfords effect.
Again, magazine reviewers seem to like them though. Just in case I ever
do feel the full-sus urge, I would have a butchers!

At the moment though, I've never even sat on a full-sus bike. I'm
immensely pleased with the P7 - it's a lovely springy bike without rear
suspension :-)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old July 16th 07, 08:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
FabJack

Ace wrote:
On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 16:57:57 +0100, Paul Boyd
usenet.dont.work@plusnet wrote:

Ace said the following on 16/07/2007 15:18:

Well I've got a 531 road bike, a carbon/aluminium tail mtb and now my
nice new full suspension Focus, o/s ally framed. The latter is far and
away the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden, even with both front
and rear shocks locked out.

The Focus bikes do look good but I have this, probably totally
unjustified, "own brand" reservation about them - the Halfords effect.

Eh? They're no-one's 'own brand', but just a normal manufacturer in
their own right selling through normal LBSs.
http://www.focus-bikes.de/

Again, magazine reviewers seem to like them though. Just in case I ever
do feel the full-sus urge, I would have a butchers!

Mine's this one, which I think (for the spec) was very reasonably
priced at EU1600 at a LBS in Mulhouse, up the road from me.
http://www.focus-bikes.de/englisch_n...ll=super%20bud

Thanks everyone for replying. Some good advice and you've confirmed what
I thought (but was in denial of) that for the money I'd be better off
looking for a better specced hard tail than the one I have.

Or keep saving.

Cheers everyone.

suspension thinuniking Unicycling 6 September 17th 07 04:20 AM
Let's put suspension on everything! SMS General 4 May 29th 07 03:14 AM
Do you really need suspension? novice Mountain Biking 9 April 14th 06 06:51 PM
Suspension Uni musketman Unicycling 0 November 8th 05 01:24 AM
suspension enorehtonatey UK 20 July 15th 05 07:10 PM