Tough day for cyclists

Old September 13th 03, 10:05 PM
Sorni

Default Tough day for cyclists

"The '70s Were Cool" wrote in message

Is it just a coincidence that all the places that are conservative
politically are also the most unfriendly to bicyclists?

Is it just a coincidence that people who are liberal politically make
sweeping generalizations?

Bill "enjoys riding in 'conservative' San Diego" S.

Old September 14th 03, 12:57 AM
William Blum

"The '70s Were Cool" wrote in message
On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 14:26:10 -0400, "William Blum"
said:

Elkhart always had a fair number of car vs. bike encounters...

Gee, I wonder why.

Is it just a coincidence that all the places that are conservative
politically are also the most unfriendly to bicyclists?

By that measure, Goshen should be downright hostile to bicycling, but I've
never had any troubles there....

IMHO, about 90% of Elkhart is ideal for recreational riding. The other 10%
has been ruined by over development, esp. along the Cassopolis Street
corridor.

It wasn't the politics that drove me from Elkhart, it was the overdependence
on one industry (RV manufacturing) that made me think that there was little
future in staying.

Old September 14th 03, 09:47 PM
Mark Hickey

"Sorni" wrote:

"The '70s Were Cool" wrote in message

Is it just a coincidence that all the places that are conservative
politically are also the most unfriendly to bicyclists?

Ummm, compare NYC or even New Jersey to riding here in much more
conservative Arizona and you come to the opposite conclusion. Either
way, it's a sub-sub-sub set of the population causing the trouble, so
it makes little difference either way (they're still there in San
Francisco or Billings).

Is it just a coincidence that people who are liberal politically make
sweeping generalizations?

I think it must be a law... ;-)

Bill "enjoys riding in 'conservative' San Diego" S.

Heh.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame
Old September 16th 03, 12:30 AM
Rick Onanian

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 15:41:32 GMT, Zippy the Pinhead
wrote:
And when was the last time a bunch of guys with DA haircuts and tight

Shimano makes Dura Ace haircuts now?

--
Rick Onanian
Old September 16th 03, 10:03 PM
Stephen Harding

Default Road kindnesses [was Tough day for cyclists ]

Frank Krygowski wrote:

People are good. Pass it on - and do your part to make it so.

I've come to the conclusion that "evil" or "badness" is more powerful
than "goodness" on a per unit/volume basis.

The reason we are not overcome by the forces of darkness is simply
because there is so many more good people in this world than bad
ones. Darkness is awash in light.

And if you ever get the chance to take such a trip, for God's sake,
don't pass it up!

Did such a trip about 6 years ago and what you say was very much
confirmed for me at that time.

SMH
Old September 17th 03, 02:07 AM
Rick Onanian

On 16 Sep 2003 08:39:05 -0700, Frank Krygowski wrote:
People are good. Pass it on - and do your part to make it so.

I feel the same way. I try to be helpful when I can, and
ask that people pass it on.

Saturday, I was riding when I saw a guy struggling with a
heavy roll of wire-fence. I stopped to help. If it wasn't
enough that I felt good about it, he gave me advice about
the roads in the area; and if that's not enough, he told
me he was going to build an addition on his house, and I
gave him my business card...so maybe my company will get
that job!

So, for those who are selfish, it still pays off...but it
is nice to just help somebody, and it's nice to just be
helped (and as a cyclist, I find that I am often enough
helped!).

And if you ever get the chance to take such a trip, for God's sake,
don't pass it up!

I wish I could get that chance.

- Frank Krygowski

--
Rick Onanian
Old September 28th 03, 01:41 AM

Frank Krygowski wrote:

: My wife, my daughter and I recently finished a self-guided
: coast-to-coast bike tour. We rode through every type of community,
: from inner city ghettos to wealthy suburbs, from homey villages to
: busy downtowns in major cities, from midwest farms to Indian
: reservations. If there was one thing that was notable, it was how
: kind everyone was. We encountered no more than half a dozen examples
: of road rudeness in 4000 miles. We got far more examples of kindness.

: And if you ever get the chance to take such a trip, for God's sake,
: don't pass it up!

Friend of mine suggested riding to Paris. Is it really that good? :-)

--
Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/hpv/hpv.html
varis at no spam please iki fi