Where is Samuel Abt (Tour de France writer)

Old July 23rd 06, 08:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Default Where is Samuel Abt (Tour de France writer)

Hello all. I am new to this group, but hoping someone can help me.

I was never a cycling fan, and really didn't understand the mania about
Lance Armstrong in the US until I started reading Samuel Abt's coverage
of the Tour de France three years ago in the online version of the New
York Times. His writing is amazing and he was able to get me very
interested in the sport just by the quality of his descriptions of
attacks, peleton politics and daily stage coverage. I thought I had
just stumbled on a gem of a writer and only later learned that he is
the dean of cycling journalists, at least in terms of the Tour and has
written many books on cycling.

Anyway... every year I have looked forward to his coverage. And this
year his coverage at NYTimes.com was excellent... but the stage before
the Landis breakdown, the Times switched to a new writer (also pretty
good, but still) and stopped carrying Abt's coverage. I started looking
at the online site of the International Herald Tribune (the Paris
version of the Nytimes and Abt's home paper) and they were still
carrying him. So I was releived. But now they have stopped carrying
him. The last coverage they have of him is Landis' comeback stage...
and now there have been two since then and NO SAM ABT.

Does anyone else like or follow this writer, does anyone know where I
can find his coverage of the time trial (and the uneventful day before)
online? I have searched and can't find anything and certainly don't
want to miss his wrap-up of Sunday's finish. HELP

Old July 23rd 06, 11:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Dave Clary

On 23 Jul 2006 04:49:16 -0700, "Kris" wrote:

His articles appear in the International Herald Tribune. You can
Google for the URL

I just happened to do a Google News search on him yesterday and the
last article that came up was from Jul 14th.

Dave Clary/Corpus Christi, Tx
Home: http://davidclary.com

Old July 24th 06, 03:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Martin Dugard's blog at Active.com noted that Abt is retiring (and the
reporter NYT sent in his place is a bit of a hack).

BTW, Dugard's reporting is outstanding, check it out ...

http://blogs.active.com/dugard

Dave