Soft curvaceous lines on cyclists in lycra and other safety matters

Old May 6th 10, 06:49 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

Default Soft curvaceous lines on cyclists in lycra and other safety matters

Yesterday, on my usual ride to the Eastern Suburbs of Sydney to visit
Johnno at the bike shop, I got overtaken by a rider on a MTB (26"
wheels) travelling at some speed. I immediately gave chase as this rider
was all dressed up in Silence-Lotto (?) colours and I felt that it might
give me some measure of my abilities.

I put my head down and pedalled as hard as I could and I managed to
catch up relatively quickly. When I got to about 10m, I looked up and
noticed that this particular cyclist appeared to have some very nice
calf muscles. Looking up further, I noticed other rather pleasing
rearward facing lines and it dawned on me that the cyclist was possibly
female. I refused to get excited as I simply could not tell and there
would have been nothing more distressing to me if I was wrong.

I decided to slow down so that I could study the safety approach used by
the rider ahead of me mainly because of the discussions we have been
having here. It seemed a reasonable excuse

I realised a couple of things.

Normally, as I am approaching that narrow space between a parked car and
the white line, I usually slow down slightly and try to see if there's
someone in the car about to surprise me by opening a car door right in
my path. This rider ahead of me did no such thing.

Then, just as I enter that narrow space between a parked car and the
white line, I usually looked over my right shoulder to ensure that there
is no traffic coming up behind which could squeeze me. This rider ahead
of me did no such thing.

I am not sure if other riders use the same method of approach as I do
when riding that narrow space but I thought that it would made good
sense to do so.

As I followed this rider for about 1km, a van pulled up beside the rider
ahead and the passenger stuck his hand out the window and made what
seemed like grabbing motions. I immediately slowed down (I was starting
to get closer like about 3m and preparing to overtake before the lights)
to see if the van driver was playing games and maybe offer some help to
a fellow rider. Fortunately, the van only wanted to turn left and the
passenger was simply trying to attract the rider's attention.

As soon as the van turn, the rider ahead simply blasted off again and
caught the lights on the yellow. By now I was more than 15m behind and
had to stop at the red so I never got to see the rest of the lines which
came with the lycra.

The whole point of this post? Soft curvaceous lines on cyclists in lycra
should come with some indicator so as to disambiguate (?) the owner of
said lines. It is very frustrating for those of us who want to know

I am about to head off to the Eastern Suburbs again now, so maybe I'll
see that rider again

Thank you for letting get this off my ... eeerrrr... chest.
Old May 6th 10, 07:27 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Thu, 06 May 2010 15:49:33 +1000
Geoff Lock glock@home wrote:

The whole point of this post? Soft curvaceous lines on cyclists in lycra
should come with some indicator so as to disambiguate (?) the owner of
said lines. It is very frustrating for those of us who want to know

Why?

So sad old men can perve without feeling guilty?

Tell ya what. Stop being a boring dirty old man and start thinking of
women as people, not as dolls for you to attempt to whack off over.

Zebee
- not impressed.
Old May 6th 10, 09:36 AM posted to aus.bicycle
terryc

On Thu, 06 May 2010 15:49:33 +1000, Geoff Lock wrote:

The whole point of this post? Soft curvaceous lines on cyclists in lycra
should come with some indicator so as to disambiguate (?) the owner of
said lines. It is very frustrating for those of us who want to know

Umm, I suggest that this is a really bad idea. I know of one "soft
curvaceous" female rider that really really ****ed off men. Seems their
egos just could not handle being dropped in the sprint to the "finish
line"
Old May 6th 10, 11:36 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Tomasso[_6_]

"Geoff Lock" glock@home wrote in message ...
The whole point of this post? Soft curvaceous lines on cyclists in lycra
should come with some indicator so as to disambiguate (?) the owner of
said lines. It is very frustrating for those of us who want to know

What's good for the gander is good for the goose.

No need for Lock's fantasy riding.

He should wear a cod piece. And/or a plastic Mac.

T.
Old May 7th 10, 06:12 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

Geoff Lockglock@home wrote:

The whole point of this post? Soft curvaceous lines on cyclists in lycra
should come with some indicator so as to disambiguate (?) the owner of
said lines. It is very frustrating for those of us who want to know

Why?

So sad old men can perve without feeling guilty?

As a single guy, it is inevitable that I would sneak in a perve whenever
and wherever I can.

I am probably going about it the wrong way in promoting cycling as a
sport and activity which can be fun and also be sexy as well.

Tell ya what. Stop being a boring dirty old man and start thinking of
women as people, not as dolls for you to attempt to whack off over.

I apologise unreservedly if I have offended you, Zeebee, as it is not my
intention to treat women wih any form of disrespect.
Old May 7th 10, 06:19 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

On 6/05/2010 6:36 PM, terryc wrote:
On Thu, 06 May 2010 15:49:33 +1000, Geoff Lock wrote:

The whole point of this post? Soft curvaceous lines on cyclists in lycra
should come with some indicator so as to disambiguate (?) the owner of
said lines. It is very frustrating for those of us who want to know

Umm, I suggest that this is a really bad idea. I know of one "soft
curvaceous" female rider that really really ****ed off men. Seems their
egos just could not handle being dropped in the sprint to the "finish
line"

I know how I would feel if I got beaten by a female in an all out sprint
to the finish but then I suspect that a good sprinter is reliant as much
on technique as strenght.

In the case I mentioned above about not being able to catch up in 20m at
the lights, I did notice an incredible brust of accelaration from the
other rider, most likely due to a combination of gear changes, strenght
and technique. My 40-yo bike simply faded badly - friction-based gear
changing is simply too finicky.
Old May 7th 10, 06:23 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

On 7/05/2010 8:36 AM, Tomasso wrote:

"Geoff Lock" glock@home wrote in message
The whole point of this post? Soft curvaceous lines on cyclists in
lycra should come with some indicator so as to disambiguate (?) the
owner of said lines. It is very frustrating for those of us who want
to know

What's good for the gander is good for the goose.

True.

No need for Lock's fantasy riding.

I will tone it down.

He should wear a cod piece. And/or a plastic Mac.

Probably not a mac as it will spoil my aerodynamics
Old May 12th 10, 06:59 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Fred

Geoff Lockglock@home wrote:

The whole point of this post? Soft curvaceous lines on cyclists in lycra
should come with some indicator so as to disambiguate (?) the owner of
said lines. It is very frustrating for those of us who want to know

Why?

So sad old men can perve without feeling guilty?

As a single guy, it is inevitable that I would sneak in a perve whenever
and wherever I can.

I am probably going about it the wrong way in promoting cycling as a sport
and activity which can be fun and also be sexy as well.

Tell ya what. Stop being a boring dirty old man and start thinking of
women as people, not as dolls for you to attempt to whack off over.

I apologise unreservedly if I have offended you, Zeebee, as it is not my
intention to treat women wih any form of disrespect.

And the odd perve is certainly not disrespect. It's what makes the world go
round - and keeps it going round.

Old May 12th 10, 07:51 AM posted to aus.bicycle
theo[_2_]

"Geoff Lock" glock@home wrote
Geoff Lockglock@home *wrote:

[...]

Give us poor blokes a break. Let me get this straight. Women dress in
revealing/shape accentuating clothes, wear high heels to show off
their calves and pelvis, wear uplift bras, make-up, and spend a
fortune getting their hair done, so men won't look at them?

Theo
I'm sorry for looking then.
Old May 12th 10, 08:29 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Fred

"theo" wrote in message
"Geoff Lock" glock@home wrote
Geoff Lockglock@home wrote:

[...]

Yep me too. Brokenhearted. I've watched them spend hours ponsing round in
front of a mirror, experimenting with make-up, hair dos, clothes, shoes and
god-knows what else - all so men won't notice them. Then we go and ruin it
for them by peeking.