Speaking of Bike Shorts

Old August 9th 03, 06:23 PM
ChiliDipper

Default Speaking of Bike Shorts

Speaking of bike shorts...

I've been riding for exercise since early summer. Now, I ride as much
because I just enjoy to ride. However, I'm about to the point, I need to
get more comfortable duds.

I know the advantage of bike shorts. I've read many articles/posts about
this subject. However, I'm just not a bike shorts person - at least not the
spandex or lycra or whatever material from which most are made. I've seen
the loose mountain bike and touring specific shorts, and, considered those.

My question is, are these as good in the comfort and support department as
the tighter type of shorts? Which ones do you prefer?

I appreciate any opinions, ideas, suggestions, info anyone can provide.

Thanks,
Gary

Old August 9th 03, 07:43 PM
Zoot Katz

Sat, 9 Aug 2003 13:23:04 -0400,
, "ChiliDipper"
wrote:

\szip
I've seen
the loose mountain bike and touring specific shorts, and, considered those.

My question is, are these as good in the comfort and support department as
the tighter type of shorts? Which ones do you prefer?

I appreciate any opinions, ideas, suggestions, info anyone can provide.

I recently got a good deal on some Sugoi "Conrad" shorts so decided to
try them. They're okay.

These shorts have a padded spandex liner just like bike shorts but of
a bit thinner material. Support and comfort are identical to tight
shorts because they essentially are tight shorts. The other design
details of the garment (three stretch panels) make them slightly less
restrictive than my normal attire which is cut-off baggies over
cycling shorts. I like having pockets and the extra layer of fabric
when running around off the bike even though I've no compunction about
wearing tight spandex shorts. I've heard that I look good in 'em.

I've rock climbing shorts with a cool-max liner like swimming trunks
that offer little support and lack the absorbent padding. They aren't
very good for cycling.
--
zk
Old August 9th 03, 09:00 PM
ChiliDipper

"Zoot Katz" wrote in message
Sat, 9 Aug 2003 14:59:12 -0400,
,
"ChiliDipper" wrote:

That sounds like the type of short I want. I did an ebay search, but,

none
turned up. Where's a good source for these shorts?

Thanks,
Gary

Check Sugoi's site for dealers. http://www.sugoi.ca/

Not all listed dealers carry every Sugoi product. Besides, I think the
"Conrad" shorts have been replaced by the "Bully" shorts, hence the
good deal.

Google returned 393 hits for _sugoi conrad_

Doh! I missed their website when I googled. Thanks.

Gary

Old August 10th 03, 10:19 PM

ChiliDipper wrote:
: "Robin Hubert" wrote in message
: link.net...
: "ChiliDipper" wrote in message
: ...
:
: What do you mean? You don't like the way you look in them? You're
: insecure
: about what people think about the way you look in them?
:

Chili,

We really do look goofy in these lycra tight shorts. I am a big guy and I
really am A sight. But after you experience the way they enhance cycling
you can never go back to the floppy shorts. Just no way.

They really are dorky and gay looking though.

Bob Masse

Old August 10th 03, 10:46 PM

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 17:14:56 GMT, "Doug Purdy"
wrote:

"ChiliDipper"
I've been riding for exercise since early summer. Now, I ride as much
because I just enjoy to ride. However, I'm about to the point, I need=

get more comfortable duds.
My question is, are these as good in the comfort and support =

department as
the tighter type of shorts? Which ones do you prefer?

Don't know about the flappy mtb shorts but I tried a larger than normal =

size
pair of bibs from Performance and while the less strangled feeling was =

nice,
they aren't as good at keeping things away from between the seat and the
side of my leg. I have to be a bit careful getting down. Tighter is =

better.

On the other hand, these are the first shorts I've seen with a gel pad =

and
I'm not eager to see that again either. Between that and the gel saddle =

that
came with the bike yesterday's short 65k/40mile ride was quite
uncomfortable - still sore.

Doug
Toronto

Bicycling shorts are just plain dumb. The tight lycras with long inseam
are too confining and the dark color looks like it would be hot. The =
baggy
mtb shorts with inserts make no sense...if you want padded underwear with
your shorts why have it sewn in?

How about some nice light weight, trim fitting, tan, stretchy shorts with
about a 7" inseam, pockets, and a chamois crotch? (Nike and others used =
make some like this.) Of course the current "one size fits many" policy
couldn't be used. More sizes and better, more varied tailoring would be
required. Oh well, 90+ per cent of the cyclists go along with the =
current
dumbness so why bother?

=20
Old August 11th 03, 03:14 AM
Hunrobe

wrote:

Bicycling shorts are just plain dumb. The tight lycras with long inseam
are too confining and the dark color looks like it would be hot. The =
baggy
mtb shorts with inserts make no sense...if you want padded underwear with
your shorts why have it sewn in?

---snip---

The dark color "looks" like it would be hot, eh? That sounds suspiciously like
you've never *worn* bike shorts. If that's the case, on what do you base your
opinions? BTW, most shorts are black for several reasons. First, tradition.
Second, black doesn't show dirt and grease as readily as lighter colors. Third,
depending on exactly how light the color is when it gets wet light colored
spandex is often nearly transparent.

How about some nice light weight, trim fitting, tan, stretchy shorts with
about a 7" inseam, pockets, and a chamois crotch? (Nike and others used =
make some like this.) Of course the current "one size fits many" policy
couldn't be used. More sizes and better, more varied tailoring would be
required. Oh well, 90+ per cent of the cyclists go along with the =
current
dumbness so why bother?

What you describe sounds very much like bike shorts with pockets. I have
pockets in my jersey. I don't need pockets in my shorts.

Regards,
Bob Hunt
Old August 11th 03, 04:49 AM

On 11 Aug 2003 02:14:49 GMT, (Hunrobe) wrote:

=20

wrote:

Bicycling shorts are just plain dumb. The tight lycras with long =

inseam
are too confining and the dark color looks like it would be hot. The =3D
baggy
mtb shorts with inserts make no sense...if you want padded underwear =

with
your shorts why have it sewn in?

---snip---

The dark color "looks" like it would be hot, eh? That sounds =

suspiciously like
you've never *worn* bike shorts.=20

Obviously, though I have tried to buy them several times. Just could not
find anything appealing.

If that's the case, on what do you base your
opinions?=20

Common sense. Black bodies absorb more radiant heat.

BTW, most shorts are black for several reasons. First, tradition.
Second, black doesn't show dirt and grease as readily as lighter colors.=

=20

True, my light colored riding shorts never get perfectly clean from =
saddle
stain. Not that bad though.

Third,
depending on exactly how light the color is when it gets wet light =

colored
spandex is often nearly transparent.=20

Spandex at 4-8 per cent? I don't think so.

How about some nice light weight, trim fitting, tan, stretchy shorts =

with
about a 7" inseam, pockets, and a chamois crotch? (Nike and others =

used =3D
make some like this.) Of course the current "one size fits many" =

policy
couldn't be used. More sizes and better, more varied tailoring would =

be
required. Oh well, 90+ per cent of the cyclists go along with the =3D
current
dumbness so why bother?

What you describe sounds very much like bike shorts with pockets.=20

Right! Where can I find some? Currently I'm using converted Sportif
hiking shorts with chamois saddle crotch but they have only 4 per cent
spandex. Twice that amount of spandex would be much better for biking.

I have
pockets in my jersey. I don't need pockets in my shorts.

Never wear jerseys. Too hot here in Central Texas.

Regards,
Bob Hunt

Old August 11th 03, 05:34 AM
Buck

wrote in message

Never wear jerseys. Too hot here in Central Texas.

There was a discussion on this recently. Several of us did back-to-back
comparisons between cotton t-shirts and coolmax jerseys. The decision was
unanimous - jersey are much cooler than t-shirts. Oh yeah, at least one of
the testers (me) was in central Texas.

As for your notions about cycling shorts, I have been guilty of wearing them
under nylon jogging shorts. But I found that the pockets were useless and
the extra fabric caught the seat when I was off-road. Now I just ride with
the cycling shorts alone. It's surprising how much more comfortable it is.

-Buck

Old August 11th 03, 11:19 PM

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 04:34:47 GMT, "Buck" j u n k m a i l @ g a l a x y c=
r p . c o m wrote:

wrote in message
.. .

Never wear jerseys. Too hot here in Central Texas.

There was a discussion on this recently. Several of us did back-to-back
comparisons between cotton t-shirts and coolmax jerseys. The decision =

was
unanimous - jersey are much cooler than t-shirts. Oh yeah, at least one =

of
the testers (me) was in central Texas.

Interesting. But I want as little sweat absorbing material as possible =
provide some UV protection. Don't see how you can beat a cotton t-shirt.

As for your notions about cycling shorts, I have been guilty of wearing =

them
under nylon jogging shorts. But I found that the pockets were useless =

and
the extra fabric caught the seat when I was off-road. Now I just ride =

with
the cycling shorts alone. It's surprising how much more comfortable it =

is.

You learned that double shorts are impractical in Central Texas? Sharp!

-Buck