Speaking of Bike Shorts

Old August 12th 03, 11:24 PM
Zoot Katz

Default Speaking of Bike Shorts

Tue, 12 Aug 2003 17:04:21 -0500,
,
wrote:

The Nikes were available at my LBS.

Nike makes lots of things, like baseball caps, that they call cycling
clothes. You've seen and rejected their "Dri-Fit Trail Riding Shorts"?
Trek dealers carry Nike. If they haven't got what you want, call head
office and quibble with them about it there.
--
zk
Old August 13th 03, 01:46 PM
Peter Cole

"Buck" j u n k m a i l @ g a l a x y c o r p . c o m wrote in message
m...
wrote in message

Never wear jerseys. Too hot here in Central Texas.

There was a discussion on this recently. Several of us did back-to-back
comparisons between cotton t-shirts and coolmax jerseys. The decision was
unanimous - jersey are much cooler than t-shirts. Oh yeah, at least one of
the testers (me) was in central Texas.

CoolMax T-shirts are the best of both worlds.

Old August 13th 03, 03:50 PM
Paul Bielec

Don't see how you can beat a cotton t-shirt.

A cotton t-shirt is the last thing you want to wear when doing an intense
activity.
Once you sweat, the cotton t-shirt will absorb you sweat and it will take
forever for it to dry.
You want ot use syntetic which will protect you from the sun while its
fibers don't absorb sweat.

Old August 13th 03, 05:33 PM

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 13:18:10 GMT, "Peter Cole"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .

Bicycling shorts are just plain dumb. The tight lycras with long inseam
are too confining and the dark color looks like it would be hot. The =

baggy
mtb shorts with inserts make no sense...if you want padded underwear =

with
your shorts why have it sewn in?

How about some nice light weight, trim fitting, tan, stretchy shorts =

with
about a 7" inseam, pockets, and a chamois crotch? (Nike and others used=

make some like this.) Of course the current "one size fits many" policy
couldn't be used. More sizes and better, more varied tailoring would be
required. Oh well, 90+ per cent of the cyclists go along with the =

current
dumbness so why bother?

My belief is that tight shorts are necessary to keep the pad tight to =

the
skin, not bunching or shifting. Any type of seam is a potential friction=

area.
Those 2 requirements eliminate most types of conventional shorts. You =

could
make shorts tight in the crotch and loose in the leg, but I don't see =

the
point, and they would look much stranger than traditional shorts.

Loose clothing is in general more comfortable than tight fitting. =
Keeping
the crotch protection in place is not a problem. The looser leg does =
ride
up a little and requires some periodic correction but the extra =
ventilation
is more than worth it.

In my experience, a proper, trim fit works the best. But of course the
material needs to flex with the body movements. The Sportif hiking =
shorts
that I've converted to bicycling shorts (by adding an suede-like crotch)
contain 4 per cent spandex and work well but not as well as some old =
Nikes
and Nashbar shorts that have more spandex. These shorts look good and =
feel
good. I've used them in many cross state rides and 2 solo, =
self-contained
cross country rides in a variety of weather so these shorts have been =
well
tested.

Pockets in cycling shorts are also problematic, since the contents would
either be sat upon, or pumped up & down with each pedal stroke.

Of course, one must use discretion in filling pockets. Overdoing it can
affect fit. I usually carry only a handkerchief, ID, paper money and MP3
player. Pocket use is not a problem.=20

Black is a practical color, given the potential of chain grease to get =

on
shorts, but other colors are available, and becoming quite common. Solid=

black
shorts will probably become a minority style in the not too distant =

future.

I think the traditional color and the extra inseam length act to restore=

some
of the modesty lost to tight fit. I've worn shorter, but still =

traditional,
bike shorts and felt like I was wearing hot pants.

I've done touring and ultra-cycling events, and couldn't imagine doing =

them in
anything other than a good pair of cycling shorts. I need a good pad, =

and I
need it to stay where it belongs.

As for the "thermal" effect of black shorts, I doubt very much that it's
significant. The fact that a cyclist delivering 150 watts to the road is
generating 600 overall, the relatively small surface area of the shorts
(particularly that exposed to the sun), means that solar loading on =

shorts is
a miniscule effect.

It would be interesting to know what the real difference in heat =
absorption
is between black and light colored shorts but I do not believe it is
negligible. Just the thought of wearing black shorts here in Central =
Texas
in summertime is very repulsive to me. Yet I've seen some do it, with =
dark
jerseys as well(!). Of course in cool weather when sweat is not an =
issue,
color doesn't matter. Even the crotch protective material becomes much
less important.

Sure black hides dirt, but how often do you need to handle the chain? =
Why
not carry a cleanup rag with tools and spare tire?

It's clear to me that I have not convinced anyone in this NG of the
benefits of shorts that are...light-colored, trim-fitting but not tight,
stretchy with chamois crotch, pockets, and short legs (7 inch inseam). =
But
I sure like 'em and when I see a rider with tight black shorts I think
"poor guy doesn't know any better".

By the way, I crusade for better bicycling shorts about every 2 years.
Sooo, I'll be back! ;-)

lorendi
Old August 13th 03, 07:02 PM
Wayne Menzie

wrote in
:

Sure black hides dirt, but how often do you need to handle the
chain? Why not carry a cleanup rag with tools and spare tire?

I've heard it suggested that black shorts are an anachronism from
the time when everybody rode leather saddles that were dyed black.
As the saddle wore, the dye would stain your shorts so just wear
black shorts and there's nothing to worry about.

It's clear to me that I have not convinced anyone in this NG of
the benefits of shorts that are...light-colored, trim-fitting
but not tight, stretchy with chamois crotch, pockets, and short
legs (7 inch inseam).

I'll agree with everything but the length of the inseam. I find
that full coverage down to near my knees keeps my leg muscles
happier. I wear non-padded spandex shorts under my basketball
shorts because of this phenomenon and prefer a longer inseam in my
cycling shorts.

But I sure like 'em and when I see a rider with tight black
shorts I think "poor guy doesn't know any better".

What about the guy on the Brooks saddle who just doesn't want the
black stain on his crotch to show?

--
Wayne Menzie
Old August 13th 03, 07:03 PM
Zoot Katz

Wed, 13 Aug 2003 11:33:06 -0500,
,
wrote:

By the way, I crusade for better bicycling shorts about every 2 years.
Sooo, I'll be back! ;-)

lorendi

Design them yourself, buy a sewing machine, start a business.
--
zk
Old August 13th 03, 07:37 PM
Zoot Katz

13 Aug 2003 18:02:15 GMT, ,
Wayne Menzie wrote:

I've heard it suggested that black shorts are an anachronism from
the time when everybody rode leather saddles that were dyed black.
As the saddle wore, the dye would stain your shorts so just wear
black shorts and there's nothing to worry about.

For the longest time too, the UCI rules required black shorts and
white socks be worn by all riders in competition. Essentially, there
was no need that other colours be available.
--
zk
Old August 14th 03, 01:34 AM
Hunrobe

wrote in part:

Third,
depending on exactly how light the color is when it gets wet light =

colored
spandex is often nearly transparent.=20

Spandex at 4-8 per cent? I don't think so.

You don't *think* it happens. Those of us that have experienced it *know* it
does.

Regards,
Bob Hunt
Old August 14th 03, 04:07 AM
ChiliDipper

I want to thank everyone for the input. I really appreciate the help. I
believe I'll get a pair of riding shorts and a pair of the "loose" style
shorts and see which I prefer - too many yea's for the tight shorts to
ignore.

Thanks again,
Gary

"ChiliDipper" wrote in message

Speaking of bike shorts...

I've been riding for exercise since early summer. Now, I ride as much
because I just enjoy to ride. However, I'm about to the point, I need to
get more comfortable duds.

I know the advantage of bike shorts. I've read many articles/posts about
this subject. However, I'm just not a bike shorts person - at least not

the
spandex or lycra or whatever material from which most are made. I've seen
the loose mountain bike and touring specific shorts, and, considered

those.

My question is, are these as good in the comfort and support department as
the tighter type of shorts? Which ones do you prefer?

I appreciate any opinions, ideas, suggestions, info anyone can provide.

Thanks,
Gary

Old August 14th 03, 02:48 PM
Robin Hubert

"Zoot Katz" wrote in message
Wed, 13 Aug 2003 11:33:06 -0500,
,
wrote:

By the way, I crusade for better bicycling shorts about every 2 years.
Sooo, I'll be back! ;-)

lorendi

Design them yourself, buy a sewing machine, start a business.
--

Thank you!

--
Robin Hubert