Cone wrench for freehub body?

Old December 3rd 19, 08:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Cone wrench for freehub body?

The new rear wheel was supposed to have the usual 10mm Allen inside to
remove the freehub. Said the dealer. However, when I lubed the bearings
I saw none of that, just a much bore hole with wide long splines deep
down in there (of course I forgot to snap a photo ...). I wrote to the
dealer and now they say I'd need "some specific sized cone wrench".
Could not find much on the Internet and I wouln't know how a cone wrench
could possibly be used.

Does anyone know of an alternate mounting system versus the usual 10mm
hex? If so, can that still take Shimano freehubs?

The main raason I ask is that freehubs only last 5000-10000mi with me.
Lots of hills, heavy loads. Having to throw out the whole rear wheel
would be sad.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old December 3rd 19, 08:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 12/3/2019 1:10 PM, Joerg wrote:
The new rear wheel was supposed to have the usual 10mm Allen
inside to remove the freehub. Said the dealer. However, when
I lubed the bearings I saw none of that, just a much bore
hole with wide long splines deep down in there (of course I
forgot to snap a photo ...). I wrote to the dealer and now
they say I'd need "some specific sized cone wrench". Could
not find much on the Internet and I wouln't know how a cone
wrench could possibly be used.

Does anyone know of an alternate mounting system versus the
usual 10mm hex? If so, can that still take Shimano freehubs?

The main raason I ask is that freehubs only last
5000-10000mi with me. Lots of hills, heavy loads. Having to
throw out the whole rear wheel would be sad.

There are several. What hub is it?
Some use a large allen from the left side. Some take
proprietary tools.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old December 3rd 19, 08:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2019-12-03 11:26, AMuzi wrote:
On 12/3/2019 1:10 PM, Joerg wrote:
The new rear wheel was supposed to have the usual 10mm Allen
inside to remove the freehub. Said the dealer. However, when
I lubed the bearings I saw none of that, just a much bore
hole with wide long splines deep down in there (of course I
forgot to snap a photo ...). I wrote to the dealer and now
they say I'd need "some specific sized cone wrench". Could
not find much on the Internet and I wouln't know how a cone
wrench could possibly be used.

Does anyone know of an alternate mounting system versus the
usual 10mm hex? If so, can that still take Shimano freehubs?

The main raason I ask is that freehubs only last
5000-10000mi with me. Lots of hills, heavy loads. Having to
throw out the whole rear wheel would be sad.

There are several. What hub is it?

It's a Weinmann hub, nothing fancy. This wheel is on my road bike now.
The only way to make this freehub (barely) fit the old frame was to use
the last cog as a sacrificial one.

Some use a large allen from the left side. Some take proprietary tools.

All I could see was a hollow shaft of probably 12mm diameter (a 10mm hex
wrench would fall through) with some splines inside.

On my MTB I had a similar situation even though that has the 10mm hex. A
Formula DC-30 hub, and it would not come off. The LBS owner is a very
muscular guy and even he could not make it turn. So they gave me a whole
new rear wheel under warranty. That freehub didn't even come close to
5000mi.

Old December 3rd 19, 09:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 12/3/2019 1:49 PM, Joerg wrote:
On 2019-12-03 11:26, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

I don't know Weinmann hubs and a web search wasn't helpful.

'Weinmann cassette hub' returns wheels with Weinmann rims on
every modern brand of hub, mostly Quando and Novatec, some
Shimano.

Have a good look inside with a strong light. (there are
still hubs with CS body stamped to hubshell)

Old December 3rd 19, 09:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2019-12-03 11:26, AMuzi wrote:

Some use a large allen from the left side. Some take
proprietary tools.

All I could see was a hollow shaft of probably 12mm diameter
(a 10mm hex wrench would fall through) with some splines
inside.

On my MTB I had a similar situation even though that has the
10mm hex. A Formula DC-30 hub, and it would not come off.
The LBS owner is a very muscular guy and even he could not
make it turn. So they gave me a whole new rear wheel under
warranty. That freehub didn't even come close to 5000mi.

I don't know Weinmann hubs and a web search wasn't helpful.

'Weinmann cassette hub' returns wheels with Weinmann rims on every
modern brand of hub, mostly Quando and Novatec, some Shimano.

This one has the Weinmann Logo on it and the words "Wheelmaster". It's
not a high-end wheel but does have DT Swiss spokes in old-school
quantity which is important to me. I break a lot of spokes.

Have a good look inside with a strong light. (there are still hubs with
CS body stamped to hubshell)

I'll do that during the next re-lube of the bearings. When I looked on
Sunday I didn't see much meat at all for any kind of fastener to grab
onto. The Shimano hubs need a good amount of torque on the hex screw so
it would have to be something beefy.