Doping due process, Pat (and Dick)!

Old October 4th 06, 06:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Default Doping due process, Pat (and Dick)!

http://velonews.com/news/fea/10985.0.html

McQuaid wants to block the issuance of Ullrich's racing license by the
Swiss, even though no disciplinary proceedings have been enacted
against him by the Swiss federation (or even the UCI).

Also, in yesterday's USAToday, it was reported that Pat McQuaid DOES
want to mandate the collection of DNA samples from all of the riders,
as a condition of pro rider's participation in the sport from now on.

I'm sorry. You all know me as having a hard-on for the issue of
doping, and yes, I want the dopers caught and booted. But only within
a well-defined (and well followed) structure of fairness and due
process. Without that, all of this is just a farcical undertaking.

McQuaid is also crying foul over the Italians clearing their riders in
Operacion Puerto (citing the fact that the investigation is not yet
finished), yet it is the UCI that forwarded the incomplete dossiers to
the Italians in the first place.

I'm sorry, but the UCI is ****ing insane. They seriously need to be
dismantled. WADA too.

Old October 4th 06, 06:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
nobody

On 4 Oct 2006 10:03:46 -0700, wrote:

[...]

Was there not a push to for the riders to provide a complete hematologic
porfolio or profile?

It is sad, they're already drawing blood to test hematocrit, (finger
stick?). So it's a short step from there to just running everything.

Cyclists probably need to form a union. That's the only thing that will
prevent such abuses, imo.

Old October 4th 06, 06:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

nobody wrote:
[...]

If the UCI did have a DNA profile for a certain rider, what right would
they have to demand samples of seized blood taken in the process of a
police investigation (like in the refrigerators in Operacion Puerto)?
None (unless the rider agreed to it). The UCI is not a police agency.
They are a private company. The UCI would have no more right to see a
DNA comparison than your employer has. The right does not exist.

I believe Francesco Moser is the head of some sort of riders union, but
it can't possibly be very strong. Honestly, I do not know what
prevents the riders from organizing effectively. It is the fact that
they live all over the planet, or the fact that the protour is not
nearly as organized or centralized as other pro sports leagues?

Old October 4th 06, 08:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
nobody

On 4 Oct 2006 10:56:32 -0700, wrote:

nobody wrote:
On 4 Oct 2006 10:03:46 -0700,
wrote:

[...]

portfolio or profile?

It is sad, they're already drawing blood to test hematocrit, (finger
stick?). So it's a short step from there to just running everything.

Cyclists probably need to form a union. That's the only thing that will
prevent such abuses, imo.

If the UCI did have a DNA profile for a certain rider, what right would
they have to demand samples of seized blood taken in the process of a
police investigation (like in the refrigerators in Operacion Puerto)?
None (unless the rider agreed to it). The UCI is not a police agency.
They are a private company. The UCI would have no more right to see a
DNA comparison than your employer has. The right does not exist.

Oh, no, not implying that. It would be a voluntary blood profile allowing
comparison with the current test results. It would presumably be a gold
standard in testing because you could have numerous values to match, not
just the standard markers for EPO and the usual PEDs. (AFAIK)

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...p06/sep01news3

Page down to "German Federation to provide blood profiles"

Old October 4th 06, 09:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Simon Brooke

in message .com,
') wrote:

I'm sorry, but the UCI is ****ing insane. They seriously need to be
dismantled.

So, no news there, then.

The Conservative Party is now dead. The corpse may still be
twitching, but resurrection is not an option - unless Satan
chucks them out of Hell as too objectionable even for him.

Old October 5th 06, 02:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
cycledogg

Could somebody tell me what significant evidence McQuaid has on Ullrich
to keep him from getting a license and allow Basso to continue to ride?
I don't see anyone of these two riders more guilty than the other.
Rick in Tennessee

Old October 5th 06, 03:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Frank Drackman

"cycledogg" wrote in message
oups.com...

Could somebody tell me what significant evidence McQuaid has on Ullrich
to keep him from getting a license and allow Basso to continue to ride?
I don't see anyone of these two riders more guilty than the other.
Rick in Tennessee

He has made similar statements about Basso