School charging for pupils cycling to school

Old March 23rd 09, 03:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TonyB[_2_]

Default School charging for pupils cycling to school

My 11 year old is starting senior school next September. His new
school will charge him (us) £54 per term if we allow him to cycle the
4 miles from home. Does uk.rec.cycling think this is:-

a) normal
b) reasonable
c) bl**dy unbelievable?
Old March 23rd 09, 03:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Clive George

"TonyB" wrote in message
My 11 year old is starting senior school next September. His new
school will charge him (us) £54 per term if we allow him to cycle the
4 miles from home. Does uk.rec.cycling think this is:-

a) normal
b) reasonable
c) bl**dy unbelievable?

What sort of school?
What do they claim to offer for their 54 quid?

Old March 23rd 09, 03:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Myra in Cambridge

I vote c).

-Myra
Old March 23rd 09, 03:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Mar 23, 2:38*pm, Myra in Cambridge wrote:
I vote c).

Lacking any other information, I also vote c).

The question is, WHY are they charging? What for? Surely not
insurance premia (is that the word? "premiums", anyway)? Perhaps you
get a free service every day, or something?!

PhilD

Old March 23rd 09, 03:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Martin[_2_]

TonyB wrote:
My 11 year old is starting senior school next September. His new
school will charge him (us) £54 per term if we allow him to cycle the
4 miles from home. Does uk.rec.cycling think this is:-

a) normal
b) reasonable
c) bl**dy unbelievable?

What is this charge for?
The only thing I can think of is bike parking, which seems an
unreasonable cost. The only time I have been charged for bike parking it
was something like 5ukp per year.

Is this charge to actively discourage cycling, or does the school have a
sustainable transport plan which encourages cycling. If it does have a
plan, then you could tell the school that you think the charge is
unreasonable, and that you will drive your child there and back instead.

Martin.

Old March 23rd 09, 03:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Hansen

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 07:30:54 -0700 (PDT) someone who may be TonyB
wrote this:-

My 11 year old is starting senior school next September. His new
school will charge him (us) £54 per term if we allow him to cycle the
4 miles from home.

Why do they think they can charge you £54 per term? What is supposed
to be for? Do they charge pupils and teachers who come to the school
by other means?

Does the school have some bull**** policy about encouraging
sustainable travel?

Something to try and crush the school under your wheels over. Would
the local paper be interested in this?

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Old March 23rd 09, 03:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jens Müller[_2_]

On 23.03.2009 15:30, TonyB wrote:
My 11 year old is starting senior school next September. His new
school will charge him (us) £54 per term if we allow him to cycle the
4 miles from home. Does uk.rec.cycling think this is:-

a) normal
b) reasonable
c) bl**dy unbelievable?

Illegal. It is none of the school's business how your child commutes to
school.
Old March 23rd 09, 03:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jon[_5_]

On 23 Mar, 14:30, TonyB wrote:
My 11 year old is starting senior school next September. *His new
school will charge him (us) £54 per term if we allow him to cycle the
4 miles from home.

This is ridiculous, surely against the LEA's policies, and probably
illegal unless it is a private school.

Can you tell us more? What sort of school is this? What is the charge
supposed to be for?

Jon
Old March 23rd 09, 03:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
francis

On 23 Mar, 14:30, TonyB wrote:
My 11 year old is starting senior school next September. *His new
school will charge him (us) £54 per term if we allow him to cycle the
4 miles from home. Does uk.rec.cycling think this is:-

a) normal
b) reasonable
c) bl**dy unbelievable?

Ask them what the £54 is for, if you don't like the answer take it up
at the next governers meeting.
If you find out what it is for, post the answer here.
It might be that they are charging for secure parking for his cycle,
but even then £54 is over the top.
It could be that that is the charge they make for the maintaince &
cleaning of his bike every week, plus of course a valet would park the
bike in the morning & be there to hand the (by now polished) bike to
you at night.

Francis
Old March 23rd 09, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
judith smith

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 07:30:54 -0700 (PDT), TonyB
wrote:

My 11 year old is starting senior school next September. His new
school will charge him (us) £54 per term if we allow him to cycle the
4 miles from home. Does uk.rec.cycling think this is:-

a) normal
b) reasonable
c) bl**dy unbelievable?

Will they insist he wears a helmet?

Are you aware of how potentially dangerous it may be?

Compared with 2006, there was a 6 per cent fall in child pedestrian
KSI casualties, a 12 per cent
fall in car occupant KSI casualties but a rise of 4 per cent in child
pedal cyclist KSI casualties.

--

Passenger casualty rates by mode Per billion passenger kilometers:
Killed or seriously injured:

Which do you think is the most dangerous?

Highland Middle School Bicycle to School Day Claire Petersky General 5 May 23rd 06 02:25 AM
Cycling to school - Southwark John Hearns UK 1 November 11th 05 07:42 PM
Cycling to school dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers UK 19 April 15th 04 07:54 PM
Cycling to school Colin Blackburn UK 79 September 23rd 03 09:24 PM
Cycling to School Richard Bates UK 10 September 5th 03 12:36 AM