Unusual tire casing damage

Old August 1st 10, 12:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

Default Unusual tire casing damage

Two blocks from finishing today's ride, I heard a blip,blip,blip sound.
Thought I had a tack in the tire, but no, it was a bubble in the
tread, about 6mm across, bumping against my brake caliper (very low
clearance).

The casing inside the tire had broken:
http://home.comcast.net/~mandmlj/TireDamage/overall.jpg

Here are some closeups:
http://home.comcast.net/~mandmlj/TireDamage/inside1.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~mandmlj/TireDamage/inside2.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~mandmlj/TireDamage/inside3.jpg

As you can see from closeup #2, about 3-4mm of casing has broken.

The odd part is that the tire never flatted, and the /outside/ of the
tire is relatively undamaged (and definitely not penetrated):
http://home.comcast.net/~mandmlj/TireDamage/outside.jpg
(Same spot, really)
Also, the second layer of casing (closest to the tread) is /not/ broken,
though roughed up a bit.

The abrasion you can see on the /tread/ is likely from the bubble
brushing the brake bridge.

Details:
The tire is a Challenge Parigi-Roubaix. About 330 miles on it, rear
tire, run at 100 psi. Rider+bike weight around 195 pounds.

Very nice running tire, by the way.

Question:
It looks like a mfr defect to me, but could this be reasonably
attributed to road hazard damage? If so, how?

Please give your thoughts or similar experiences.

Mark J.
Old August 1st 10, 01:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Jacoubowsky

"Mark J." wrote in message
[...]

Looks to me like you simply hit something hard enough to damage the casing.
I had the same thing happen to me on my recent trip to France. One heck of a
bubble/distortion in the tire, no outside evidence (cuts or abrasions), only
the inside ply ruptured. Had to boot it with a powerbar wrapper, but it was
still dicey. As I said, no outside cuts at all, just a very large
distortion/bulge.

Every once in a while we see a tire with *minor* distortion at the point
where the plies overlap or begin/end, but it doesn't typically get worse
with time.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Old August 1st 10, 02:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Norman

Here are some closeups:http://home.comcast.net/~mandmlj/Tir...ge/inside3.jpg

[...]

It's not /that/ unusual. I just stick some cloth tape
(hockey tape or medical tape seem to work equally
well) in an "X" and ride on. It holds up for a surprising
myriad of miles.
Old August 1st 10, 04:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bad Idea[_2_]

From your description and photos it looks like a textbook example of a
stone bruise – a common malady from the bias ply automobile tire
era.

Never mind (wannabe) Herr Doktor Professor jobst. He disrespects
everybody he imagines lacks a published, peer reviewed credential
superior to his own. He’s just trying to salve his fragile,
diminished ego, having himself failed to attract the respect of actual
academicians. He neglected to suck-up sufficiently to receive
sanction from the academicians for his dissertation. Then he chose a
subject easily dismissed as a toy which made his critical factual
errors irrelevant. The professor without classroom or students, jobst
can only hold forth on usenet casting his pearls of wisdom into
uncaring cyberspace. It’s a very sad story, but one that continues to
entertain with unintended hilarity.

Old August 1st 10, 07:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On 1 Aug, 00:59, "Mark J." wrote:
[...]

I've seen similar with thin carcasses but not at such a price. It
looks like there has been some grit in the fabric which has cut
through. Without having it in my hands I call it a manufacturing
defect from here. I fitted a pair of Challenge tubs (for another)
not long back, looked super and ride well (I have been told).

Are you sure they are the genuine article, good source?

Old August 1st 10, 08:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

In article
,
Bad Idea wrote:

From your description and photos it looks like a textbook example of a
stone bruise * a common malady from the bias ply automobile tire
era.

Never mind (wannabe) Herr Doktor Professor jobst. He disrespects
everybody he imagines lacks a published, peer reviewed credential
superior to his own. He¹s just trying to salve his fragile,
diminished ego, having himself failed to attract the respect of actual
academicians. He neglected to suck-up sufficiently to receive
sanction from the academicians for his dissertation. Then he chose a
subject easily dismissed as a toy which made his critical factual
errors irrelevant. The professor without classroom or students, jobst
can only hold forth on usenet casting his pearls of wisdom into
uncaring cyberspace. It¹s a very sad story, but one that continues to
entertain with unintended hilarity.

jim's back, it seems. And has learned to use the caps key.

--
That'll put marzipan in your pie plate, Bingo.
Old August 1st 10, 09:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On 1 Aug, 04:22, Bad Idea wrote:
From your description and photos it looks like a textbook example of a
stone bruise – a common malady from the bias ply automobile tire
era.

Which should not occur with a high grade bicycle tyre.
Old August 1st 10, 11:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Here are some closeups:http://home.comcast.net/~mandmlj/Tir...http://home.co...

[...]

And if you're out and about, a bit of cardboard milk carton as a
sleeve works well enough to get you home. I've also used half a
business card, plastic coated is best. Just beware of sharp edges
inside the tire case. A rough torn cardboard edge is soft, whereas a
scissor cut edge is often sharp and will cut the tube eventually.

JS.
Old August 2nd 10, 02:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sergio Moretti

On Jul 31, 6:59*pm, "Mark J." wrote:
[...]

Since Challenge Parigi-Roubaix are 700x27mm, you could try lower tire
pressure.
90psi rear should be enough to avoid rim cuts, reduce punctures, &
increase comfort.

- Sergio Moretti
Old August 2nd 10, 08:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

Sergio Moretti wrote:
On Jul 31, 6:59 pm, "Mark J." wrote:
[...]

Yes, I'm working my way down, pressure wise; 90 psi seems a little low
for the (measured) weight on my rear wheel (121 lbs). I may push down
toward 90, though.

Thanks,
Mark J.

Effect of heat on tire casing [email protected] Techniques 10 July 18th 06 08:26 AM
coker tire damage from blown out 29er tube brycer1968 Unicycling 17 July 9th 06 05:38 PM
Bike tire damage to wilderness Rodney Mountain Biking 41 August 26th 05 09:55 PM
Tire Damage? Roy Zipris Techniques 2 July 26th 05 03:25 AM
Tire damage Roger Zoul General 0 May 4th 04 10:27 PM