A report showing that 76 per cent of accidents are the cyclists fault, good case for training

Old October 13th 11, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_2_]

Default A report showing that 76 per cent of accidents are the cyclists fault, good case for training

I make this 47 out of 192 are officially driver fault, while the remainder
are the cyclists fault at a massive 76 per cent.

This clearly shows that compulsory training and testing should be undertaken
before children go onto the road system.

Cyclist Injuries (age 10-15 yrs) 2000-2005

Methodology

The details of 190 collisions reported to Humberside Police in Hull in the
years 2000 to 2005 (inclusive) form the basis of this analysis.

The narrative description was used to establish the circumstances of each
collision.

Casualties

In total 192 cyclists aged between 10 and 15 years (inclusive) were injured
during the period. This total included 1 fatal, 17 serious and 174 slight
injuries.

Males: Total = 157. KSI = 16.

Females: Total = 35. KSI = 2.

Postcode of casualty: HU1 = 1%. HU2 =0. HU3 = 19%. HU4 = 6%. HU5 = 13%.
HU6 = 16%. HU7 = 11%. HU8 = 9%. HU9 = 25%.

Cyclist's Manoeuvre

To identify appropriate training interventions it is necessary to define
the manoeuvre and position of the cyclist prior to the collision. This does
not imply 'blame'.

The most frequent cycling activity leading to a collision is riding off the
footpath onto the carriageway. This occurred in 53 of the recorded
collisions.

Riding across the road, often in conjunction with the above activity, was
present in 47 of the collisions. As a sub-set, riding from between parked
cars occurred in 21 incidents.

The cyclist failed to give way to other traffic in 37 collisions.

Cyclists changing position for right turns/overtaking preceded 13
collisions.

Driver Manoeuvre

Drivers failed to give way to the cyclist in 20 of the collisions. This was
the most common driver activity.

Striking on overtaking led to 15 collisions.

Running into the back of cycle was present on 8 occasions.

Opening car doors preceded 4 collisions.

Summary

Although there are few recorded injuries to cyclists on the footway there is
clearly a problem with young cyclists riding off the path onto the
carriageway or riding across the road.

This type of activity has replaced the 'changing position for right
turns/overtaking' manoeuvre which has been significant in previous analyses.

Both the theory and practical elements of our cycling training programme
need to be modified to reflect this.

Old October 13th 11, 11:04 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Man at B&Q

On Oct 13, 9:47*am, "Mrcheerful" wrote:
I make this 47 out of 192 are officially driver fault, while the remainder
are the cyclists fault at a massive 76 per cent.

That's not quite what the data says, but I understand your agenda.

This clearly shows that compulsory training and testing should be undertaken
before children go onto the road system.

It's difficult to argue with that. When I was at school we got cycling
proficiency training.

Why not write to your MP.

MBQ

Old October 13th 11, 11:13 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Weaseltemper[_2_]

Default A report showing that 76 per cent of accidents are the child'sfault, good case for training

On 13/10/2011 09:47, Mrcheerful wrote:
I make this 47 out of 192 are officially driver fault, while the remainder
are the child's fault at a massive 76 per cent.

I fixed the subject line and the above quote for you

--
Simon
For personal replies, please use my reply-to address.
Old October 13th 11, 11:26 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_2_]

Simon Weaseltemper wrote:
On 13/10/2011 09:47, Mrcheerful wrote:
I make this 47 out of 192 are officially driver fault, while the
remainder are the child's fault at a massive 76 per cent.

I fixed the subject line and the above quote for you

do you have the age limits for being a 'cyclist' ?

Old October 13th 11, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Weaseltemper[_2_]

On 13/10/2011 11:26, Mrcheerful wrote:
Simon Weaseltemper wrote:
On 13/10/2011 09:47, Mrcheerful wrote:
I make this 47 out of 192 are officially driver fault, while the
remainder are the child's fault at a massive 76 per cent.

I fixed the subject line and the above quote for you

do you have the age limits for being a 'cyclist' ?

Not at all but if you are quoting reports and statistics for child
cyclists, I think you ought to make that clear. The reason is that when
it comes to adult cyclists, any accident is invariably the fault of the
driver. Reports show somewhere between 75 and 90% it is the driver at
fault where there is an accident involving a car and a cyclist, which is
entirely opposite to your report.

That’s not to say that we should not ignore the issue of child cycle
training. We are lucky in our area as most year 6’s receive cycle
training at school. Other areas are not so fortunate.

In contrast, if you were to gather data on child drivers, or child
motorcyclists being at fault in any accident, I am fairly sure that you
would find the figures “quite high”, especially where they are driving
illegally, or in stolen vehicles.

Old October 13th 11, 12:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Oct 13, 11:49*am, Simon Weaseltemper
wrote:

In contrast, if you were to gather data on child drivers, or child
motorcyclists being at fault in any accident, I am fairly sure that you
would find the figures quite high , especially where they are driving
illegally, or in stolen vehicles.

Cheerless has no cyclists at all in his area so I don't know what he
is fretting about.
He will be bothered about accidents caused by pink unicorns next.

--
Simon Mason
Old October 13th 11, 07:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave - Cyclists VOR

On 13/10/2011 11:04, Man at B&Q wrote:
On Oct 13, 9:47 am, wrote:
I make this 47 out of 192 are officially driver fault, while the remainder
are the cyclists fault at a massive 76 per cent.

That's not quite what the data says, but I understand your agenda.

This clearly shows that compulsory training and testing should be undertaken
before children go onto the road system.

It's difficult to argue with that. When I was at school we got cycling
proficiency training.

Being a member of the Tufty Club isn't proficiency training for todays
roads idiot.

University
Old October 13th 11, 07:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave - Cyclists VOR

Simon Weaseltemper wrote:
On 13/10/2011 09:47, Mrcheerful wrote:
I make this 47 out of 192 are officially driver fault, while the
remainder are the child's fault at a massive 76 per cent.

I fixed the subject line and the above quote for you

do you have the age limits for being a 'cyclist' ?

Not at all but if you are quoting reports and statistics for child
cyclists, I think you ought to make that clear. The reason is that when
it comes to adult cyclists, any accident is invariably the fault of the
driver.

I expect you have some evidence to support that?

University
Old October 13th 11, 08:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

wrote:

That s not to say that we should not ignore the issue of child cycle
training. We are lucky in our area as most year 6 s receive cycle
training at school. Other areas are not so fortunate.

Our local schools over full child training as well, also in year six
when they will be ready to take to the road. Our local roads are full
of kids riding to and from school during the week.

--
Simon Mason
Old October 13th 11, 10:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_33_]

On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 11:49:39 +0100, Simon Weaseltemper
wrote:

Not at all but if you are quoting reports and statistics for child
cyclists, I think you ought to make that clear. The reason is that when
it comes to adult cyclists, any accident is invariably the fault of the
driver. Reports show somewhere between 75 and 90% it is the driver at
fault where there is an accident involving a car and a cyclist, which is
entirely opposite to your report.

Not invariably, but usually, as per the figures you quote.

Of course, /some/ people think that it is unrealistic to expect
children to behave like little adults and show proper deference to the
Almighty Car. Clearly the idea that adults should take extra care
around children and not bring danger and death to their places of play
is perverse and ridiculous.

Guy
--
Guy Chapman, http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
The usenet price promise: all opinions are guaranteed

Good case for compulsory cyclist training Mrcheerful[_2_] UK 413 October 6th 11 04:31 AM
8 per cent of cyclists didn't break the law Mrcheerful[_2_] UK 7 April 28th 11 07:57 PM
yet another case showing that cycles need to be registered and insured Mrcheerful[_2_] UK 37 July 25th 10 02:14 PM
Fault with accidents LSMike UK 65 September 19th 06 11:57 AM
a good showing small change Mountain Biking 3 January 14th 05 12:17 AM